Protein as first/last meal

It doesn't matter when. I thought this was dispelled long ago.

Get enough protein in a day, and have a caloric excess. You'll grow. Get enough protein in a day and have a caloric defecit, you'll retain muscle mass and lose excess fat. It needn't be more complicated for anyone here, because I doubt anyone is at that level yet.

I have to agree with Chthonian. Everyone seems to get way too caught up in "fast protein" and "slow proteins". I think this aspect of nutrition is highly overrated. I think sometimes when you worry about such minute details you can tend to loose focus on what really matters. And that of course is your training, and diet throughout the day.

Joe G

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daxie @ Sep. 27 2005,10:46)]I use a mix of proteins, so digestion times would be different...
@AaronF: cause I'm hungry when having it before bed, and not when not eating it. i know you think hunger isn't a measure for metabolism rate, but then what is? And to me it has been a good measure so far.
Hunger is indicative of hunger, affected by physiological and pscyhological responses. It can become a learned behaviour.

Metabolism is an easily measurable physiologic component (at least RMR in a individual)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Sep. 28 2005,3:59)]Hunger is indicative of hunger, affected by physiological and pscyhological responses. It can become a learned behaviour.
Metabolism is an easily measurable physiologic component (at least RMR in a individual)
Agree that it can become a learned behaviour.

But can you explain why it has no or a very weak link with metabolism?

And can you state how one should be able to affect metabolism? Or is such a thing determined genetically, and can not be altered?

Its tied into metabolism, but by a extremely wide sense not a direct causal link.

THings to effect metabolism.

There are three components of total energy expenditure

BMR -> basal metabolic rate - what the term metabolism is ususlaly applied to
TEF -> thermiv effect of food
Ativity (including neat)

BMR can be changed by getting bigger or smaller (major determininants)

TEF can be influenced by carbs/protein, but the actual level of effect it has is relatively minimal as TEF makes up 10-15% max, and you can mildly change that level.

activity is the real area where you can actually change it.

Back