Protein Supplements

OneMoreRep

Hey guys...

I have been thinking alot about supplementation.. and i would like some professional opinions..

compared to FOOD.. is the quality in protein powders, bars etc up to par?

When it comes down to supplemental protein quality, yes.

Food has many other substances and substrates, some needed, some not.

Forgive me for adding something, "protein powders" and bars are food. Its just filtered for anything you don't want (i.e. fat, lactose) and then the water is taken out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Dec. 14 2004,11:01)]Forgive me for adding something, "protein powders" and bars are food. Its just filtered for anything you don't want (i.e. fat, lactose) and then the water is taken out.
I guess my wording was off, that was basically what I was trying to get at
sad.gif
, by saying food has other substances and substrates. Sorry for the confusion.

Yea i realize they are food... but in the sense... are they really WORTH the extra cash u dish out for them?

like if i wanted to make my diet simple by buying just MASS amount of protein bars with the perfect 30-50-20 ratio would that be ok? or are the majority of them loaded with useless stuff... i hear the majority of them are all simple sugars...

Right now i am on a diet of CHILI, (the 10 lbs of extra lean ground beef a pot variety :D ), Skim milk, and RICE.

i am worried about being able to keep up this diet.. maybe protein bars would be good?? i dunno...

I'm looking for an ideal protein source basically..

Ideal would be CONVIENIENT, CHEAP (grams per dollar), and QUALITY (free from excess fats/sugars etc).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneMoreRep @ Dec. 14 2004,4:05)]I'm looking for an ideal protein source basically..
Ideal would be CONVIENIENT, CHEAP (grams per dollar), and QUALITY (free from excess fats/sugars etc).
So you only want the holy grail of bodybuilding nutrition and supplimentation. If you find it, save a sip for us.

Well, until you find it, I would suggest - as with most things - the ideal solution is probably somewhere in the middle. Use powders, get some bars and sure...eat some chili. Do it all. For the specific kinds...I would suggest some variety in your solid foods. Tuna is great, inexpensive and easy to prepare (mix it with salsa and a bit of fat free ranch...mmm). Extra lean ground beef, if it is truly lean can be as expensive as lean steak and more expensive than good chicken breast, add some variety man. I have even gotten a taste for eggs.

To Bryan's point, protein powders and bars definately make up all of my meals that are in addition to the usual 3. An extra shake between breakfast & lunch. A protein bar between lunch & dinner. Another protein bar and/or shake before bed...almost half my diet is bars or powder and as long as you read the labels and buy at least decent stuff they are a fine way to add calories. I get these bars at Costco that have 30 grams of protein a piece, a little more fat than I'd like, but they taste great and are perfect for bulking. They come out to about a dollar each. Powders are easy to research and many believe that the best dollar per gram value is the 10 lb. bag of Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey. But for a longer lasting anabolic effect, you probably want a whey/Casein blend for drinking during the day or before bed. Those are not cheap regardless of the brand.

If you want a bar that is free from fat and sugar, Keto bars are what you defined as quality and are inexpensive. Not the best taste though (the best tasting bars are the ones with the most fat & sugar).

Really, the answer to your question is a lot more broad than you might think and really involves your goals (cutting or bulking) and your budget (for the most part, you get what you pay for).

Brak

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But for a longer lasting anabolic effect, you probably want a whey/Casein blend for drinking during the day or before bed. Those are not cheap regardless of the brand.

i did the math last week at how much all this casein is costing me (£10-12/k) compared to when i relied on milk/eggs/fish. To my amazement the powders are actually cheaper than milk.

Back