Question about squatting with blocks

I

imported_goal220

Was wondering if there are any distinct advantages to squatting with blocks under the heels. I remeber seeing some people also use plates. I`m presuming this is compensating for lack of flexibility but does it somehow also allow for better form?

goal220

I think it really depends on your biomechanics: in short, the way you're put together. The only form of squat I can do well is the front squat--and then, only with a block beneath my heels. It alters my leverage such that I can go reasonably deep (parallel) without leaning forward or arching excessively. Conventional wisdom holds that using a block will screw up your knees, but I've had no problems whatsoever.

I'm just psyched that I finally found a way to do this incredibly productive exercise without hurting myself! You just have to figure out what works for you.

Thanks for the reply grip. Anyone else know if this is potentially dangerous/safer/better/worse?
Any comments would be appreicated. Really hoping Blade, DKM or O&G might have some insight on this.

Goal220

Squatting with your heels elevated does put more stress on your knees, but it also places much more stress on the quads, shifting the emphasis away from the glutes. This is because it allows the knees to travel much further forward.

The center of the bar is directly above your feet (if your center of mass is not directly above your feet then you will fall over), so the torque about the knee joint is proportional to the horizontal distance from you feet to yoiur knees. Likewise, the torque about yoiur hip joint is proportional to the horizontal distance from your feet to your hip joint. So the further back you allow your hips to go the more work your glutes (and hams to a lesser extent) do, and the less work your quads do. Using blocks under the heels allows you to keep your hips almost above your feet (meaning the glutes do very little work) and your knees to travel way out in front of your feet, meaning that your quads do almost all the work.

I used to use blocks under my heels all the time, and found it very effective for building my quads without making my glutes too big. By the age of about 26, I did start to get pains in my patellar tendon, just above the knee cap. For the last 4 years I have had to do my squats without the blocks, so as not to agrevate the problem, but as a result my glutes grew quite a bit. When my knees allow it, I still occasionally use plates under my heels (though smaller ones than I used to use) and I still find that when I do this I get a far more effective quad workout (incidentally, I always use front squats rather than back squats).

In summary, I think that whether or not you get problems with your knees depends largely on whether you are predisposed to it. There is no doubt that bringing the knees forward puts more torque on the knee joints (and therefore more load on the quads), but many people's knees can take this with no adverse effects.

Rob

Thanks very much for the explanation Rob. You`ve saved my knees. I can`t remeber the exact diagnosis but it was something along the lines of chondromalacia. Basically my patella sticks somewhat instead of sliding smoothly on the cartiledge beneath the patella. It was severely aggrevated by lunges which I have never done since. I`m fine with normal squats though and will continue with these.

You mentioned front squats vs. back squats. I`m presuming that this is the placement of the bar. I have a relatively long torso and with the bar behind my neck it does cause me to lean forward quite a bit. I`d like to give this a try if it will help me keep proper form but I also want to make sure before the weight starts getting heavy. So, no offense intended but I`d like to hear from some others (DKM, Blade, O&G or dare I say. . .Bryan) on this topic. I always try to take advice from more than a single source. I know it digresses somewhat from the original post and hope that`s not a problem for anyone. I`ll start a new thread if it is. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu (literally traslated from Japanese as "Please take care of me/look after me (with humility and lots of bowing)"
worship.gif

Well, so far you've got two intelligent, exerienced folks telling you they've had largely positive effects from doing front squats with elevated heels. Since you don't seem to trust what we're saying, maybe you should specify that you're looking for feedback from three or four specific guys in your subject header.

Lol, you sure know how to make friends.

Top and bottom of it is if your legs are developing well and your experiencing no pain, just do normal squats, if not then try front squats, back squats, leg press, blocks, half squats or hack squats.

I dunno about your physique, but im guessn you havent got Tom Platz size legs and so minor changes in your legs arent the goal. If so just pick one and do it right, id stick with plain old squats if your just looking for size and your not focusing on a particular part of the leg.

Btw,grips right with the biomechanics bit. One of the most blatent trends seems to be that squats are easier if your smaller, most people that I know that squat well are shorter than 5'8 while one of my training partners cannot do normal squats properly at 6'3. Find what works for you. Its no use 'DKM, Blade, O&G or dare I say. . .Bryan' coming on and saying they love hacks, if your body doesnt suit them.

grips/Ian, thanks for the replies. It seems I've had a suffered a bit of karmic retribution for blatant disregard to good advice. I slammed my knee into a corner wall in my house and now it feels like my kneecap is going explode everytime I even think about squatting. Looks like I'll be stuck with extensions for the rest of this cycle and maybe my entire next cycle.
sad.gif
. I basically never get sick but my body is like friggin bone china when I bump into anything! Well, I'll just have to make the best lemonade I can.

Apologies to Grips. I meant no disrespect.

Aw man, that's OK...and sorry about the knee.
sad.gif
Hope you mend up quickly.

Thanks Grips. Ian was right though. I have a knack for saying all the wrong things. At least that`s what my friends say . . .I mean both of them
laugh.gif

My knee isn`t as bad as I thought fortunately. I will continue with the extensions though for the rest of this cycle and just start over with front squats the next one just to be safe. It`s too bad really. I was on target to blow my previous 5rm out of the water.

Back