Question regarding reps

david_diesel

Guys
I am currently doing my week of finding maxes. I have found that for some excersizes, I can only do my bodyweight as my max. Sometimes not even that. For example, as far as Pullups go, I am doing standard overhand grip pullups and the most I can get are 10. I'm wondering how to perform these during my 2 weeks of 15's and 10's How would I provide progressive load for these?

Thanks

I think the best way to implement the pullups would be to wait until the 5's to do them. In the meantime you could use the weight assisted machine for dips and pullups that a lot of gym's have now. If you don't have access to that machine, you could either do lat pulldowns or dumbell or machine pullovers. I would substitute one of those exercises until you are strong enough to do the pullups.

thehamma

Exactly what thehamma said. Wait until the rep range you are in allows you to use that exercise. Until then, use a good (but lighter) substitute, such as machine (cable) pulldowns instead of pullups.

thehamma and 9 to 5 are right, use the pulldowns in the meantime.

I was just thinking, if you can do 10 with bodyweight you can probably put in some weight, albeith little up in the 5's, that will give some progression.

15's - load up well on the pulldowns so that you can develop strength for the pullups, this usually helps some, not all of us are lucky enough to do the chins with quite a bit of extra weight.

You are not alone, many guys struggle with this.

Way to do it is to build up strength in the lats, pulldowns is very much the same in reverse, but there are others, like cable bentovers/bent over BB rows etc.

Try it and keep going.

Back