Question: Why 3 days a week?

General Zod

The HST program seems to suggest that recovery is 99% accomplished in 48 hours. If this is the case, why does the program recommend that you lift only 3 days of of 7, instead of every other day? Thanks.
Greg

The standard program was made to be simple and fit in a normal schedule lifting MWF and taking an extra day off on the weekends. You can lift every other day if you want. You can lift every day if you truely wanted to.. hmm.. but more on that later.

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colby2152 @ Nov. 13 2005,11:44)]The standard program was made to be simple and fit in a normal schedule lifting MWF and taking an extra day off on the weekends. You can lift every other day if you want. You can lift every day if you truely wanted to.. hmm.. but more on that later.
-Colby
Thanks. I guess my real question is, is working out every other day better, or is having the extra day of rest better, in general? Thanks.

Greg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (General Zod @ Nov. 13 2005,10:59)]I guess my real question is, is working out every other day better, or is having the extra day of rest better, in general?
Depends entirely on your own personal recovery ability. If you are young, have good hormone levels or are taking AAS, and manage the volume you can train every other day and make gains without additional rest days. If you are older like me then the 3x a week is about all you can handle. The extra rest days here and there are necessary in order to continue training consistently and to avoid overtraining.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hardrock @ Nov. 13 2005,12:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (General Zod @ Nov. 13 2005,10:59)]I guess my real question is, is working out every other day better, or is having the extra day of rest better, in general?
Depends entirely on your own personal recovery ability. If you are young, have good hormone levels or are taking AAS, and manage the volume you can train every other day and make gains without additional rest days. If you are older like me then the 3x a week is about all you can handle. The extra rest days here and there are necessary in order to continue training consistently and to avoid overtraining.
Thanks. At 37, though I love to train, the extra rest day is probably a necessary evil.

Greg

It isn't necessarily a choice between mwf or every other day, a lot of people on here including myself train 6x a week, although that doesn't mean doubling the amount of training but doing the same number of sets etc but split into more workouts.

Cheers

Rob

Back