Quick question on 5's

thecoffeeguy

I'm starting up my 5 cycle today, and have a question on the number of sets.

Normally, I would do two, but what about 3? Since low reps, I thought might be ok to add a set or two to a few exercises?

Thanks!

HST doesn't call for a certain number of sets or even reps for that matter as long as you stick to its principals. With that being said, you could do 2-3 sets in the beginning of the 5's. For 5's I usually do 2 sets in the beginning for all exercises where there are a select few (leg press, dips, chins) that I will do 3 sets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thecoffeeguy @ Dec. 07 2005,12:28)]I'm starting up my 5 cycle today, and have a question on the number of sets.
Normally, I would do two, but what about 3? Since low reps, I thought might be ok to add a set or two to a few exercises?
Thanks!
I try to maintain 2 sets of every exercise 15s to 5s.

My principal goal is to maintain the weight without failure regardless of reps.

The increase in weight in the 5s generally balances things out well enough.

I do often have problems in the 15s, but if I get off 1 good set at 15 and the 2nd set falls short in reps - no problemo.

When I get into the last week of Post 5s I try to do 1 set of 5s and the second set at 15 reps. I also reduce the weight for the 15 reps. By the end of the week I've got a very good idea of where I should start in the 15s after I SD.

Volume is not the biggy for HST

Back