Reason for doing squats and deads.

kaos

Another long post.
smile.gif

I'm trying to convince a friend that he would be better off doing squats, deads and more compound stuff and that in the end he will be bigger on top. Right now he does bench press, pulldowns and the rest iso type stuff. No chins or dips either. He migth do incline or decline but I don't know.

Now I know that to put on pounds on the scale will require big excercises like squats and deads. But when I try to convince him he just comes back with other excuses that his legs dont grow and blah blah. He only cares about his upper body and could care less about his legs and that's totally fine.

Now I would like some info that I can use.

Let's say you take twins. Put them both on the same calorie excess diet and let's assume just about everything is equal except for how they train.

Twin A does a program that includes doing heavy squats, deads and generally more compound's. Let's say he gains 15 pounds of LBM in one year and that 10 of it is in his lower legs and the the other 5 is upper body.

Now take Twin B and he does no squats or deads or any lower body excercises, will he get more or less than 5 pounds of LBM in his upper body.

So won't Twin A win in the war of upper body mass when all is said and done? Doesn't doing things like squats and deads lead to more benificial hormones floating around your system?

If all he cares about is upper body, then he doesn't really need squats and deads. Not a balanced, healthy way to exercise, but to each his own.
rock.gif

The hormone thing isn't really significant. Deadlifts though work the entire body, upper included. It is my main exercise for trapezius and forearms. But the same upper body effect could be had with heavy shrugs.

I agree about the balanced thing. Well I guess I can stop getting on him. I thought I was on to something.
biggrin.gif

all the bikers I ride with marvel at my legs and when they ask what I do/did I tell them.

Full squats and deadlifts. As they are blah blahing about leg extensions and eg presses, I am already 500 meters ahead of them, sprinting up the mountain side.

Some people are really clueless.

Your war supposition is correct. In a year of your compounds and his foofoo stuff, your extra 12 lbs. mass will have to convince him or not.
It's always been said, for many years, that for the upper body to progress you have to build the lower. I believe that to be correct. Why would the body want to put a tank on top of some twigs? There is some sort of interneural signalling going on, just as it takes (correct me if my number is wrong guys) 15 lbs of new mass to add 1" to the arms.

I would run over twin A with my car and while he's pinned under the wheels - say to twin B " If only you had been doing some deadlifts you might have a chance of freeing your brother by lifting the car..."
biggrin.gif

Simple:tell him ripped, toned, firm glutes and hammies bring alot of pussy. A big ripped chest brings a lot of lubricant to the anal cavity...womenz don`t like bigger titties than those already on their chest. Seriously, I`m guessing an argument based around the huge usefulness of doing something for da womenz will have great success with your friend.

<div>
(RUSS @ Apr. 12 2007,10:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would run over twin A with my car and while he's pinned under the wheels - say to twin B &quot; If only you had been doing some deadlifts you might have a chance of freeing your brother by lifting the car...&quot;
biggrin.gif
</div>
LOL!!!!

Thanks for the other arguments. For a long time I didn't want to work our my legs because my bottom half is already so bigger than my top and I wanted to even things out. Then I realized I was ignoring my best asset. So I got back to doing squats and deads. Funny thing is now, now my upper body is growing while my legs are.

I'm looking to start squats and deadlifts... I keep reading about 20 rep sets... would you guys recommend doing these 20's at first and then moving on to HST?

I'm planning to spend a couple of weeks with just 45's on the bar to work on form.

Thanks in advance for any input!

yeah I'll probably just stick with the lower weights and make small increases till I get my form down... don't need to be trying to figure out maxes this early into trying out those lifts...

Stiff Leg Deads gave me good results, hope to see more and better results with these two exercises...

multi-joint exercises allow for the largest loads. It's important to teach new trainees how to recruit high threshold motor units in order to build strength and size. But even more important, the aforementioned exercises build intermuscular coordination at a significantly faster rate than single-joint, isolation exercises.

Overall, trainees' motor skills are greatly improved with compound exercises. When trainees perform nothing but single-joint, machine-based exercises, their motor skills end up being a mess. Since compound exercises are more challenging to the central nervous system (CNS), they're the ideal choice.

chad waterbury

<div>
(liegelord @ Apr. 14 2007,03:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Okay, faz, get all technical.  I was going to say it looks real cool when the bar bends.
biggrin.gif
</div>
yea and that
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

You want to see someone with the big upper body and no legs? Tito Ortiz. Google some pics.

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 11 2007,19:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Your war supposition is correct. In a year of your compounds and his foofoo stuff, your extra 12 lbs. mass will have to convince him or not.
It's always been said, for many years, that for the upper body to progress you have to build the lower. I believe that to be correct. Why would the body want to put a tank on top of some twigs? There is some sort of interneural signalling going on, just as it takes  (correct me if my number is wrong guys) 15 lbs of new mass to add 1&quot; to the arms.</div>
Quad...although I agree with your logic and that is how I have always viewed it...I think research tell us different?

I rememeber a couple of years ago debating this here at HST and it was a long the lines of Squatting give you more Testosterone for upper body mass...and the experts said the same thing Sci said and that was if you want upper body just work upperbody....

interesting food for thought?

to take the analogy further a good house is built on solid foundations,ie legs for the simple folk
biggrin.gif
.its a big mistake not to include them.

Back