Returning to HST

cnegotiator

Year ago, I had switched to HST and had great results. In sum, pushed my plateaued bench press from 165 to a max of 275 in about 3-4 years. However since than, I was out of the country for an extended period and when I returned, my studies demanded too much attention; now it's summer break to return.

I am trying to get back into working out after--more or less--not working out seriously for 3 years. So can someone help me tailor an HST workout going from cold (not lift) and back into lifting. I acknowledge HST is intense, but I plan on do a light workout to build me up to speed.

Workout
Mornings: Run (1-3 miles)
(time permitting - 1 cycle of Spartacus workout)

Evening: Lifting
Squats - 15 reps x 2 sets
Deadlift - 15 reps x 2 sets
Flat Bench Press - 15 reps x 2 sets
Chinups/pullups (or pulldowns) - 15 reps x 2 sets
Dips - 15 reps x 2 sets
Arnolds (instead of Military Press to get back to strength) - 15 reps x 2 sets
Abs (hanging abs) - 15 reps x 2 sets

(time permitting - bike intervals 20 minutes)

ANY suggestions or assistance on how to go from zero to HST would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Estoppel
I went into HST in much the same way.
I choose the exercises i wanted to use for my first cycle, then spend about a month ramping up the weights. (Fullbody 3 times a week, 15 reps) Then RM tests, and straight into to the 15's.
Worked out great, I think. Maybe 10 reps, for ramping would have been better, I don't know.

Other than that, I don't think you would experince problems diving right in, using ie. 1/2/3 sets for the first cycle. HST doesn't need to be intense comming right of a 3 year layoff. Of course you'll need your RM's first.

And what would make you think Arnolds are better for regaining pressing strengh, that Military Press?

Last edited:
And what would make you think Arnolds are better for regaining pressing strengh, that Military Press?

I'm favoring Arnold's for the first cycle because it utilizes stabilizers more to recondition them for future cycles. Concededly military press works stabilizers too, but less so than Arnolds as it is more a pure strength exercise. After the first cycle i'll swap back to military press, unless you feel I would best be served going right to military press.

Thank you for your input and suggestions Lateralus!

Well. Anolds might emphazise stablilizers, but does that equal more work per individual muscle? ..No doubt the weight used in Military Press is much greater.

In genneral I prefer the heavier compunds as you are often able to load synergist muscles with more weight, than when isolating them. Muscles are not enaged to the same extend, durring a compund lift. As a result synergist muscles might at some points, be loaded quite heavily.

My other point is the Principle of Specificity.. You want to get good at something. Go do it.

This is just what I do though.. Not claiming my way is better.

If you want to be better at military presses then do military presses. If you want to be better at arnolds, do those.

Back