Sarcomere vs. Sarcoplasm hypertrophy

• Thread starter imported_dp.ex.phys.
  • Start date
I

imported_dp.ex.phys.

What is the difference between sarcomere vs. sarcoplasm hypertrophy?  What type of work causes each and what are the benfits of each?  
Does more concentric work cause more sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and does more eccentric work (ie. negatives) cause more sarcomere hypertophy?

This may be related to the questions above or may be different based upon my understanding of the questions above but:
What is the role of metabolic work in muscle growth, and is it necessary to add extra metabolic work during negatives?

Sarcomeric hypertrophy=myofibrillar hypertrophy, hypertrophy of the contractile components.

Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy=hypertrophy of the cytoplasm of the muscle cell.

Concentric work and Eccentric both induce myofibrillar hypertrophy. Concentric work usually increases metabolic fatique constituents more than eccentric.

Metabolic work is used to induce oxidative changes inside the cells mitochondria through enzymatic responses. This inceases the cell ability to oxidize substrates and increase work capacity. Some of the metabolic repsonses (protein kinase and Ca2+) also induce hypertrophic response as well, but not to the same extent as tension induced hypertrophy.

There have been many discussions on this in this forum and the general forum. Try a search using sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

There is also a discussion going on now at My Forum, Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy RE-RE-RE Visited.

Thanks dkm1987. Do we not experience metabolic work from negatives? Do we need to start doing something specific for metabolic work when we start the negative phase of our HST Cycle?

During the later 5's and negs the metabolic work is reduced.

Yes, you should be adding in drop sets or high reps sets or any type of contractions that induce the metabolic signals. IE Burn Sets.

This should be done AFTER your worksets.

So the goal would then be to add in enough metabolic work to match the metabolic work of say the 15's or 10's? (Similarly to increasing sets as reps drop over an HST Cycle therefore maintaining total volume of work sets)

How much additional metabolic work is necessary? Would simply adding in 1 set of chest press, pulldowns, and squats (as burn sets) for the later 5's be adequate and then maybe 2 sets of the above during negatives or is more necessary?

Example below:

15's 1 set
10's 2 sets
5's 3 sets plus 1 set of metabolic work for big 3
Negatives 3 sets plus 2 sets of metabolic work for big 3

One or two burn sets of 3 exercises is sufficient?
(Total of 3-6 burn sets after my primary routine)

This is enough volume to create enough metabolic work to compensate for the lost metabolic work from the 15's and 10's?

Well the Big 3 for, starters for me anyway, are hard to get a burn going so if you do I would imagine yes, it's sufficient. If you can't then you will more than likely have to add more isolation exercises.

I personally find it hard to get a burn going with squats and the burn I get with presses generally occur in the arms more than the chest. So for my burn sets I use leg ext, for quads, calf raise for calf, flys for chest, raises for shoulders, concentration curls for bis and Press down for tris.

Now another way is to simply perform drops sets for all your exercises the only problem I see with drops is you need selectorized equipment or you must have someone available to immediately strip the weight. In lieu of this you could use peak contraction holds which decrease the outflow of metabolic byproducts increasing lactic acid buildup.

Getting a burn .. is that the same as getting a good pump going?

If so, what's wrong with just going around the machines or something and getting a good full body pump going after all your heavy sets are done?

Do you do metabolic sets after the entire workout or after exercising a specific body part? So for example, you just completed your chest exercises with 5s and drop sets, then do you do your metabolic set? Or do you wait until you've finished everything?

Pump is dilation of the blood vessels, more blood in those vessels, where as metabolic work causes oxidative stress within the muscle fibres...right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (delphi23 @ July 09 2005,2:39)]Do you do metabolic sets after the entire workout or after exercising a specific body part? So for example, you just completed your chest exercises with 5s and drop sets, then do you do your metabolic set? Or do you wait until you've finished everything?
The drop sets are metabolic work. You answered this for yourself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester Posted on July 09 2005 @ 11:18)]
Pump is dilation of the blood vessels, more blood in those vessels, where as metabolic work causes oxidative stress within the muscle fibres...right?
Well a pump can cause oxidative stress also, simply because a good pump is acheived through contractions, contraction is what causes the mitochondria to oxidize substrates. I personally prefer to use a burn set because I can get a good pump with relatively few contractions. Also it's the signaling that comes with hypoxia that we are after when looking for hypertrophy, so even though a good pump can mean increased mitochondrial activity it doesn't necessarily mean we created a favorable environment for the other signaling.

Back