Sci's Bipolar Lifting Log.

I have been maintaining my size and strength doing a full body, low volume program once every 7 days!
It's almost like some sort of extreme mike mentzer wirkout, doing one heavy intense set for each bodypart 1x/week.

It's a crappy program for growth, but it's an incredibly efficient way to train for maintenance.

I have another bad sinus infection, I am scheduled to hit the gym tonight, but I take some more time off, my immune system needs to reserve energy, and I can't afford to take a sick day, so the gym has to be sacrificed... :(

That's OK, Sci. Just think of it as taking a step back so you can take two steps forward! Definitely don't want to get extra run-down by training when too sick... that could ultimately just make you more sick.

I'm just going to go ahead and take an SD. 10 days off, then I'll restart another cycle. I only have 3 more days left to get a little deconditioned.

I know you just changed jobs a while back, but have you considered trying to change career tracks completely? It's hard, I know, since you won't be able to get the same pay as you get now, as you'll be starting out near the bottom again. But I think it would be much better for your quality of life if you could. Obviously easier said than done. I plan to do the same thing once my youngest two are a little older. I don't know if your wife works or if she wants to work, but what we are doing in my house is she is taking college courses, most of which are online and in a few years will be able to start a career making at least as much I do now. Then I can change careers to something more satisfying or something that makes more sense, has a more sensible schedule, etc etc. Not sure if something like this is even possible for you. I just know that we both are kind of in similar situations where our jobs dominate our lives and get in the way of training and all around quality of life. If you don't start doing something to change it now, you'll be locked in to your current career track until retirement, if you can actually retire someday. My plan is going to take at least three years until I can get out of this career and for you, maybe it would be more like a five year investment, but think about where you want to be when you turn 40... neither one of us are getting any younger and we only get one shot at this life, so... take it for what it's worth.

Yeah, those are all good thoughts Totentanz. I appreciate your input as anyways.
Unfortunately my wife gave up her career 6 years ago to be a stay-at-home mom. So my whole family is riding on my income.
Luckily I'm a really good plumber, so I will probably pull in $60,000 this year. I am still barely supporting my family on that.
If I changed careers, I wouldn't make much at all, no college degree.

My only hope is my wife goes back to work, which she says she will do soon... I hope.

I'd like to change careers, but I'm not sure what to do, I might have to go back to school or something.

Well if you ever get bored and want to move to Australia, I am always looking for trades, managers, sales, admin, tech savvy ... hell, list goes on. Short version is people who have a brain and can remotely be involved in the construction, development and body corporate world.

Reactions: Sci
Warning , this log will not be following HST principles, but will just be a crazy free-for-all!

Ok, so I took 11 days off from the gym. I got back today, and decided to hell with light weights and just went straight into max lifts.

Cable Row: 220x4
Bench: 250x3
Pulldown: 225x6
Seated Press: 155x3
DeadLift: 365x1, 375x1

Heavy.

I am also not counting calories, so I sometimes weigh in at 195 and other times at 205, like tonight.

I am doing everything wrong, and it's great fun!

Jeans size is at 34", shirt size got tight around the armpit at XL, so I am slowly switching my wardrobe to 2XL shirts.

So waist is down, chest is up!

Sometimes you just gotta lift some heavy a$$ weights!
Nice lifts all round. Sumo or regular deads?

Kind of waiting for you to just lift heavy all of the time ... the reduced volume would impact your working life to a lesser degree IMO.

Nice bench.

Sometimes you just gotta lift some heavy a$$ weights!
Nice lifts all round. Sumo or regular deads?
Conventional. I switched from sumo recently, as I get more drive with conventional, even if it is harder on my back. I just need to strengthen my back.

Kind of waiting for you to just lift heavy all of the time ... the reduced volume would impact your working life to a lesser degree IMO.

Nice bench.
I will be. You've got me convinced Jester. A year of heavy lifting in your log has got me convinced. :)

Bench Press: 250x3
Cable Row: 220x4
Seated Press: 155x3
Pulldown: 225x6
Leg Press: 600x5 PR
Calf Raise: 400x8 PR

Personal records for legs today.

Oh yes , of course I do several warmup sets. I even do drop sets for some exercises, but all that really matters is the top work set for logging purposes.

Yes, of course. Just occurred to me that on the off chance you're doing those cold, there would be about 10% on top if you warmed up :p

Decided to change it up a bit and attempt 8RM PRs.

DeadLift: 315x8 (previous sumo record, new conventional record)
Felt awesome to bang 6 plates on the floor for 8 full paused reps. :)

Bench Press: 225x8 PR

Cable Row: 200x8 previous record
Seated Press: 135x8 previous record
DB Laterals: 25s x8
Machine Flyes: 255x8!

Frickin killin it.

Last edited:
Back