SCI's log

(I got a new training partner last week and quit Korte's program to do 5x5 strength routine wiith my new partner. - I know lame to quit mid-cycle, but I planned on doing 5x5 anyway and the new guy is doing it with me.)

Squats

5x5 ramping up to 5 x 245

Bench

5x5 ramping up to 5 x 165
(form is getting much better)

Pendlay Rows

5x5 ramping up to 5 x 160

face pulls
shoulder horn
scap pushups

forearm work

weighted crunches with 25 lb. plate

reverse hypers

DB curls 40s x 8

keep watching my log and find out! I am going to be pushing PR territory soon enough.

My best lifts so far are (in pounds):
Squat:285
Bench:235
Deadlift:355

embarrassingly weak, but these records will be shattered soon!
mad.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">embarrassingly weak, but these records will be shattered soon! </div>

I'll trade my RM's with yours.

I hope you're doing the madcow intermediate. You don't need the beginning program at your level. It will amaze you, but I didn't really get a ton of size on it with the strength gains, but then again, I'm 53 with low hormones, and ANY growth is a good indicator. Enjoy.

Yeah, I was going to do an advanced version (the one I made a excel spreadsheet for) but realized I would make better gains on the intermediate version for now.

Wise choice, Carl. With the Intermediate version, after the ramp-up you set PRs every week for as long as you can.

Everyone wants to do &quot;advanced&quot; routines. Advanced routines are for advanced lifters who can no longer make fast progress. I wish I could do beginner routines, where you make progress every workout.

Good luck with the 5x5 Intermediate, I got about 5 weeks of PRs before stalling. You might do even better.

Sci, 245 is my 15RM now so you will be blasting them out soon enough. Glad you have really gotten into ATG squatting. It took me a few cycles to get my load back up but now I love the feeling of going really deep (even though I frequently get told it's too dangerous - yawn).

hamstrings still feel torn up today, add personal stuff on top of that and today's workout got postponed till thursday.

today just did face pulls and rotator cuff work. (I do them daily now and it is helping my shoulder tremendously.)

Face pulls? Really? I thought (from reading the RC solution book)that RC exersizes were kept specifically light for the rehab part. And so far, it's NOT working for me; I still can't lift my right arm above shoulder level without impingement.
How heavy/ many reps are you doing them with? I may want to add them in. Oh, and are you doing them after the workout with the RC work?

My shoulder rehab is seperate from my workout.  I do 3 sets of 10 facepulls with about 70 lb.s or so (light) to tighten the rhomboids and lower trapezius.  Then I do 3 sets of 10 external rotations (the one where your arm is straight out to the side like with a shoulder-horn, I like this one the best because it starts in the stretched position).

When I started I was using a 10 lb. dumbell and doing them very strict.  It hurt my right shoulder like crazy!  Now I am up to a 15 lb.s dumbell and my right shoulder doesn't have as much pain and is almost equal with my left.  I will slowly work up to a 25 lb.s dumbell and then I think I will be able to bench heavy again!

I was also doing the scap-push-ups, but I stopped them because my serratus is plenty strong and I got little from this exercise.

The face-pulls are to strengthen scapular retraction/depression.

For your problem Quad, the 'shoulder-horn' type exercise should be helping. I do them very strict with my humerus resting on something, and bring my hand all the way down to stretch the infraspinitus, then slowly pull until my hand is pointing straight up.

I'm still working level 3 of the course; haven't gotten that far yet. It's just that I thought I'd be seeing some improvement by now. Maybe a little longer. Thanx.

I have a friend who has had some serious rc injuries requiring surgery. He also complains that the RC exercises do very little for him. Perhaps the greater your rc injury, the longer it takes for the exercises to do any good. In your case I'd do it for at least 6 months before expecting much.

Probably right. The book says not to do the standing L flyes until improving from the lying L flyes, which I haven't. I tried the movement with an empty arm and it hurts a lot, so no way can I try weights yet. I've come a long way down from 45 lb. laterals!
This really stinks. I'm one of the guys who wouldn't have thought I needed any preventative work with tiny weights if I even knew about it.

Deadlifts

155x5
185x5
225x5
315x1
365x1 -PR!!
cool.gif

225x3

Standing Press

65x5
85x5
100x5
115x5
135x2

Dips &amp; Chins- Giant SET.
10 dips, 5 chins, 7 dips, 5 chins, 4 dips, 2 chins....all back to back reps, exhausting!

Facepulls- 70 lb.s 3x10
Shoulder horn- 15 DBs 3x10

365 is the first time I have deadlifted an amount that actually LOOKED heavy, 6 plates and 2 quarters on a barbell looks substantial to me! The first attempt I only got it an inch off the floor, 'Troops of Doom' was blasting on my speakers by Sepultura, and I went berserk, focused and pulled it all the way to lockout!!! I used a mixed grip and strained my left trapezius a little bit, but other than the lift felt great.

I should set some more PRs these next few weeks, if I hadn't quit Korte's Program I would be in the middle of the competition phase and realizing strength gains after the hellish volume phase.
ghostface.gif

Back