SCI's MAX-OUT LOG

It is absolutely not necessary to train to failure for size and strength. In my experience brutal workouts to failure are counter-productive. I did HIT for years and it is a constant roller-coaster of some gains and burnout. I can train now for months, 5-6 days a week and make consistent (and better) gains in size and strength as opposed to HIT.

Well, the gains are consistent when I don't do stupid things like not catching a clean properly and then trying to finish the lift anyway.
wow.gif

Damn near broke both wrists 10 days ago. I still can't do snatches with just the bar.

I agree Leigelord, but I am going to failure basically as a way of measuring my rep maxes every week. The other days I am working with lighter loads and managing fatigue with clustering.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Feb. 10 2007,18:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, I usually am weaker too.  I think I will just keep progressing until I stall out or fail a lift.  Then I will stop progressing and just try to maintain my strength until  I am leaned out.

I no longer really want to be 'big'.  I just want to be really lean and strong as hell.  Hence this strength-specific stuff, etc.</div>
You can gain strength even on a deficient diet but it will be based mostly on

1. Learning - In a neural sense not reading the thesaurus

2. Cheating - your body will become more efficient at applying leverages

Maintaining is much easier than increasing
smile.gif

Carl, careful, if you concentrate on strength and don't severely restrict your eating you might wind up building mass by accident. Like Dave Tate, who seems to have wound up fairly thick, with decent arms, and with delts that aren't too shabby.

From the Dave Tate With a 6 Pack thread on the site of some skinny guy name McDonald.

Edit: Meant to add that opinion seems pretty universal that Dave likely uses something more than food and protein powder to get big. I think his training is not Arnold's, though, unless Arnold was into Westside.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Feb. 12 2007,07:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Maintaining is much easier than increasing
smile.gif
</div>
Wow, you are right. Just finished my strength routine followed by HIIT aerobics...(running/walking). Carb-depletion is energy-depletion! I will simply maintain my lifts until I get my 33&quot; waist back (currently over 35&quot;/195 lb.s). Then I will get back to breaking my PRs!

Today's workout&gt;

Deads- 100K 2 sets of 10
Squats- 94K 2 sets of 10
Dips- 2 sets of 10
Chins- 4 sets- 6/6/6/2
Seated Press- 55k 2 sets of 10

20 minutes of high-intensity-interval-training.

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Feb. 12 2007,10:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Carl, careful, if you concentrate on strength and don't severely restrict your eating you might wind up building mass by accident. Like Dave Tate, who seems to have wound up fairly thick, with decent arms, and with delts that aren't too shabby.

From the Dave Tate With a 6 Pack thread on the site of some skinny guy name McDonald.

Edit: Meant to add that opinion seems pretty universal that Dave likely uses something more than food and protein powder to get big. I think his training is not Arnold's, though, unless Arnold was into Westside.  
biggrin.gif
</div>
I guess that wouldn't be so bad!
biggrin.gif

Of course I plan on gaining some muscle. The new focus will be mainly on breaking my own records on lifts, while staying lean. I no longer want to sacrifice being lean for size gains. I realize this will somewhat restrict my strength gains, but so be it.

I just ordered &quot;Starting Strength.&quot; by Rippetoe and Kilgore.
I want to see what advice they have to improve my form, etc.
I may be finally convinced to squat deeper, do presses standing and maybe even get back to bench pressing! We'll see. I have read nothing but rave reviews about this book.

Alright this program is stupid...
blush.gif

After researching a crapload about strength and powerlifting, I have decided to not mess with Stephan Korte's ideas and just do the program as planned.

The guy is an international powerlifter and trainer....I am a novice.

End of thread.....will be posting under korte's program from now on.

Back