Shake question

volatile

I am currently trying to gain weight, and had a few questions regarding protein shakes.
I understand it is best to get your food from whole food, but with the amount of food I have to eat coupled with working, it would be easier if I could have shakes as a substitute.
My question is, for somebody looking to eat 6 to 7 times a day, how many shakes would be considered a good number?
If I had 2-3 shakes a day, or if I used shakes as a 1-2 of my 6-7 meals, would this ok?

My next question is, do you think I have a good shake?
I was going to use 1 scoop of Egg white protein powder, 4 oz water or Rice milk, 3 ice cubes, 1 cup of grits, and 3 strawberries, is this sufficent, or if not, what would be an example of a better shake to have?

1) Shakes are not some magic elixer that packs on muscle. They are merely a convienient way of ingesting calories and nutrients quickly. Because the before / after workout meals are the most important of the day, shakes are ideal but not necessary. Personally, I just plan the appropriate whole food meals around my workout.

What matters most is the nutritional breakdown of your diet, the protein amounts required, what your maint level is and how many calories over maint you plan for the bulk.

The eating for size FAQ is your friend.

2) We cannot judge how good the shake is without a nutritonal breakdown.

You are what you eat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (volatile @ June 23 2005,11:34)]I am currently trying to gain weight, and had a few questions regarding protein shakes.
I understand it is best to get your food from whole food, but with the amount of food I have to eat coupled with working, it would be easier if I could have shakes as a substitute.
My question is, for somebody looking to eat 6 to 7 times a day, how many shakes would be considered a good number?
If I had 2-3 shakes a day, or if I used shakes as a 1-2 of my 6-7 meals, would this ok?
I was going to use 1 scoop of Egg white protein powder, 4 oz water or Rice milk, 3 ice cubes, 1 cup of grits, and 3 strawberries, is this sufficent, or if not, what would be an example of a better shake to have?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

Well, I would say a shake is a must after a workout. Nothing like nutrition in liquid form to instantly get into your body to help in the anabolic response. Past this, you can have however many you want. I think you'll be good with 2 shakes a day. If you are working, try oatmeal and protein powder in a tupperware container. I always use this combination if I'm out somewhere.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

That looks good. Bananas are a good idea. And you CAN'T go wrong with raw eggs in a shake. I've been doing it for a while. Raw eggs are insanely anabolic with the clean cholesterol, the quality of the proteins, the micronutrients, etc... See www.waisays.com for more on eggs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I would say a shake is a must after a workout. Nothing like nutrition in liquid form to instantly get into your body to help in the anabolic response. Past this, you can have however many you want. I think you'll be good with 2 shakes a day. If you are working, try oatmeal and protein powder in a tupperware container. I always use this combination if I'm out somewhere.
I can't have oatmeal, are grits just as well? What do you have before a workout, a shake then additionally?

If you guys are going to be eating raw eggs, I'm not sure you want to just buy any old eggs.

Anyway, personally I just get a shake in before and after my workout. Preworkout, I get it with whey and some carbs (dextrose). Postworkout, just whey, followed by a high carb meal about an hour later. I like to add some olive oil into my shakes occasionally too. I don't add a bunch of other stuff to my shakes.

I wouldn't rely too heavily on shakes. I've heard a few people having some stomach problems when they get a lot of shakes each day.
Besides, most food is cheaper than most whey protein powders are.

Listen to what ectoman said regarding your diet. It won't matter how many shakes you drink if you aren't getting enough total calories during your day. I would focus more on overall diet than just the shakes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ June 25 2005,5:28)]...
I wouldn't rely too heavily on shakes. I've heard a few people having some stomach problems when they get a lot of shakes each day.
yeap!!
Me for one!

Beware of Protein Farts!
sad.gif

You only can blame so many on the dog. ;)

Hey Totentanz, you've mentioned mixing up your own inexpensive protein powder, which I think is a great idea. What proportion of dextrose to whey do you use?

I get about equal amounts of dextrose to whey. I guess I should probably be taking the carbs in my post workout shake too, but after workout I usually can't tolerate the sweet taste of dextrose, so I just make do with a carb heavy meal about 45-60 minutes later.
So that's usually 20-40 grams of dextrose mixed with an equal amount of whey. It can get sickly sweet sometimes. I haven't tried malto yet, but I understand it is far less sweet than dextrose, so I might try that too.

I guess normal sugar would probably work too.

For a cheap home made weight gainer that isn't loaded with saturated fats, you can add olive oil too and easily make a shake that has 1000 calories or so in it.

I do the same thing with whey and malto. Usually a scoop of each preworkout and then again postworkout, probably comes out to 25-30 grams of each. Carbs should prob be higher but I get plenty of carbs throughout the day anyway and I always eat very soon after my shake. Usually I'll try to have a tuna sandwich or something else with lots of carbs and protein as soon after my shake as I can get it down.

I've never had whey and dex, but I'm very happy with the whey and malto. They whey is already sweetened (obviously) but I can hardly tell a difference between a whey and malto shake and one with just whey. If the dex is too sweet, I'd say definately give the maltodextrin a try.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll give both dextrose and malto a shot.

pre workout i like ..a bowl of porridge with raisens and a whey shake...post workout whey shake and sports drink..and about an hour latter a meal. :D

Back