Sissy squats

Hardrock

Anyone been doing sissy squats? If so, what is your take on them? I've been doing front squats with a board under the feet and they appear to me to be about the same exercise.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hardrock @ Aug. 25 2005,5:00)]
wow.gif
7-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tcup @ Aug. 25 2005,4
wow.gif
7)]You should get rid of the board under your feet when doing squats....
Why?
First of all why do you use it? Why you ask me, well I´m about to tell you
tounge.gif

Squats are one of the most difficult exercises to be done and also the weights are useally big. It´s imperative that your feet are firmly based on the floor. This way when you start squating your feet will remain in good form and do the movement with your thighs. If you are using the board your knees easily bend over your toes . Also your butt should be going backwards not just downwards making a nice 90 degrees to your knees
thumbs-up.gif

I'd have to agree with Tcup, lose the board, if not for anything else then for stability.

About sissy squats - I've tried them, but they didn't do much for me. I prefer "normal" squats. But my advise would be to try them and find out for yourself - weight training is a very individual story when it comes down to preferences.

Regards,
/ R

I think a board under your heels can be valuable if you have any flexibility issues with your ankles or achilles. Also, some folks tend to get too much stress from squats in their glutes for anatomical reasons and a board will sometimes throw more emphasis to the quads. It is preferable to squat without a board if possible, though.
Sissy squats, at least performed like Vince Gironda used to advocate, involves squatting down fully and then leaning back and leading upwards with the hips. He called it a "burlesque bump". It sounds weird, but it really hits the whole front of the thigh and especially up high. Not easy to use much weight however

I use a board beneath my heels when squatting because it improves my leverage. I simply can't do a good squat without elevating my heels. Unless you consider improved leg development a bad thing, I have suffered zero negative consequences from this practice.

Sissy squats are an excellent stretch-point movement. To be sure, they're one of the stranger exercises out there, and not that easy to master, but I think they're productive. Leegee38 is right, though--it's hard to use much weight on 'em.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gripstrength @ Sep. 20 2005,7:44)]I use a board beneath my heels when squatting because it improves my leverage. I simply can't do a good squat without elevating my heels.
Too much iron on the bar there dude ;)

Also if you have to elevate you heels your form is bad.

Nope, it really is a leverage thing with me; we're all put together differently. After years of experimenting I've learned that the only way I can squat well is to boost up my heels a bit and to hold the weight in front, across my shoulders/chest. Far less compression on the spine that way too.

In the interests of maintaining good form, I don't do front squats very heavy at all by most peoples' standards--though I suspect you have to sacrifice some weight doing 'em to the front instead of the back.

Grip, I had the same problem as you man. I started squatting/deadlifting with no shoes on. problem solved. Just take your shoes off, keep the weight on your heels, try to curl your toes up. Problem is most people try to squat with those stupid Nike air bubble sneakers. They elevate your heels about 1 1/2 inch off the floor. Not very good IMHO.

What the hell, I've tried everything else, right? Thanks for the tip man, I'll give it a shot.

Awesome! Keep us posted on your results. barefoot is also kickazz for stiff leg deads, as well as deads and bent over rows. Helps keep stability (your not fighting against the squishy air bubble..lol).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aspengc8 @ Sep. 22 2005,8:15)]Problem is most people try to squat with those stupid Nike air bubble sneakers. They elevate your heels about 1 1/2 inch off the floor. Not very good IMHO.
Thats true...you need to have good shoes when lifting those heavy @$$ weights :D

You should try wrestling shoes. They are flexible but still gives you stabilation to your feet and ankles. Regular sneakers... hell no!
crazy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tcup @ Sep. 22 2005,2:50)]Thats true...you need to have good shoes when lifting those heavy @$$ weights :D  
You should try wrestling shoes. They are flexible but still gives you stabilation to your feet and ankles. Regular sneakers... hell no!
crazy.gif
Tcup, I couldnt agree with you any more! I was thinking about some wrestling shoes, or maybe even some chuck taylors or Adidas shell tops. Since I went barefoot, I have to admit, I love to feeling. I just walk around with those ankle high black Nike swoosh socks.  
laugh.gif

Back