Skinny Fat - What Should I Do - *Pics*

projectaero

Hey guys.
I am 5'10
176 pounds
24.6%bf
LBM 135 pounds.

I am unsure on what i should do.
I was thinking i should cut to around 12-14%bf even tho i have no muscle and then clean bulk from there up.
Just because i am pretty high in % now that if i clean bulk that its gonna take me up to high 20's even tho i have added some mass.

I havent been lifting long on and off about 9 months.
Lifts arent that heavy pretty low actually due to having no muscle.

What do you think ?

Cheers

Lower your beer intake...that should do wonders for your abdomen.

Seriously now(actually, thinking about it, I was serious before), by the numbers you posted and going by the pics, you don`t have all that much muscle to cut to(if this statement upsets you sorry, but that`s my opinion). Get some meat on the frame and then cut. And BTW, clean-bulking is a very useless thing, IMHO. So is clean eating...nobody died from the occasional hamburger. So do a reasonable bulk(meaning don`t eat the whole fridge, be sure to get adequate protein, don`t go crazy on the fat, don`t get a ton of calories, a 20%-ish excedent should do the trick). Train with the basic HST framework, in order to not have to bother with actually setting up training and progression by yourself. Stuff like that. I think. Maybe.

At your stage...(beginner,not much muscle, not very lean) don't worry about diet too much and just focus on weight-training. Try to get as strong as possible. At your level gaining muscle and slowly dropping bodyfat is possible. Your body will respond well to heavy compound weight-training 3x/week. once you have gotten stronger, you will look better and then you can decide of you want to continue to bulk up with muscle or cut down and get lean.
First things first, get into the training section and forget diet at this point. All you need to do is lift and eat a reasonable diet high in protein.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 11 2007,16:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">At your stage...(beginner,not much muscle, not very lean) don't worry about diet too much and just focus on weight-training.  Try to get as strong as possible.  At your level gaining muscle and slowly dropping bodyfat is possible.  Your body will respond well to heavy compound weight-training 3x/week.  once you have gotten stronger, you will look better and then you can decide of you want to continue to bulk up with muscle or cut down and get lean.
First things first, get into the training section and forget diet at this point.  All you need to do is lift and eat a reasonable diet high in protein.</div>
Normally, I`d wholeheartedly agree but this tends to open up a huge can of worms(like eating a metric fuckton of junkish stuff/not eating enough), so being a little bit anal in terms of actually counting your protein and counting calories in order to achieve a moderate excedent would be better, IMHO. It also teaches some basic things he`ll need when actually dieting(like using a foodlist, weighing, nailing macros etc.). Just my 2 cents.

You have nowhere to go but up, and should make gains quite noticably for your first 6 months, if you'll eat. You have a gut, but not that much fat overall to speak of. Mor was right. You need to work up some beef. I think if you work consistently, coming from not working out at all, your gut is going to drop off naturally for the most part, and you'll be building a 'house' around it anyway, making it look like less.

Yep. Start eating more protein, bulk up using &quot;vanilla&quot; HST until you actually have some mass under the fat, then after all that you can do a cut.

do you want to get strong or do you want to be a body builder? Up your Protein and fat intake and stay away from lots of carbs. You don´t need to Bulk up in the classic sense if you are not going to become a body builder and you are not in a hurry. Do it right. Squat, deadlift, do chinups and miltary presses and power cleans and then squat some more and eat healthy. then squats some more and for desserft deadlift. FORM!

<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 12 2007,01:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">do you want to get strong or do you want to be a body builder? Up your Protein and fat intake and stay away from lots of carbs. You don´t need to Bulk up in the classic sense if you are not going to become a body builder and you are not in a hurry. Do it right. Squat, deadlift, do chinups and miltary presses and power cleans and then squat some more and eat healthy. then squats some more and for desserft deadlift. FORM!</div>
Why?

Nope, I really don`t know why. I`m not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious as to why lowering carbs and upping fat would be a solution. You know my opinion is that isocaloric is fine for about 80% of the people in about 90% of the typical scenarios they may find themselves in. I have no reason to believe that this is a corner case with troublesome insulin sensitivity/extremely poor cravings management, that`s all.

If he doesn´t intend on becoming a body builder, he doesn´t need to bulk in the classic sense. In this case he doesn´t need more than 40% of his calories from Carbs as he needs to shed some fat. It is much easier to shed what he has and then build muscle. If he starts going crazy with the pizzas and ice cream etc...he WILL develop an insulin problem.

Which is very much in-line with what I suggested:isocaloric(either 33/33/33 or 40/30/30 Zoneish). I thought you were talking about Atkins-like levels of carbs(under 30g), so sorry, I simply misunderstood you there.

The trouble with starting with something like Atkins or a CKD as your first concerted dieting approach is that it`ll most likely screw your brain up(see the huge bunch of ppl who did OK on Atkins once, never again to succeed). What do I mean by that?Well, it induces the feeling that if you stay away from carbs you`ll not get fat. Which is a very very very wrong thing to have in your head. Just like thinking staying completely away from fat will keep you from getting fat. Starting with an isocaloric approach means that:
a)you`ll not miss out in any significant way on any micronutrients;
b)you learn that caloric intake is the prime driver of physique enhancement;
c)you'll have no reason to do stupid stuff like pigging out on something extremely fatty/fat-free and thinking you`re ok.(all of the above IMHO)

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ May 12 2007,12:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Which is very much in-line with what I suggested:isocaloric(either 33/33/33 or 40/30/30 Zoneish). I thought you were talking about Atkins-like levels of carbs(under 30g), so sorry, I simply misunderstood you there.

The trouble with starting with something like Atkins or a CKD as your first concerted dieting approach is that it`ll most likely screw your brain up(see the huge bunch of ppl who did OK on Atkins once, never again to succeed). What do I mean by that?Well, it induces the feeling that if you stay away from carbs you`ll not get fat. Which is a very very very wrong thing to have in your head. Just like thinking staying completely away from fat will keep you from getting fat. Starting with an isocaloric approach means that:
a)you`ll not miss out in any significant way on any micronutrients;
b)you learn that caloric intake is the prime driver of physique enhancement;
c)you'll have no reason to do stupid stuff like pigging out on something extremely fatty/fat-free and thinking you`re ok.(all of the above IMHO)</div>
Yes, we agree. Personally, 33/33/33 is about what works best for me. Even before my last race, I intentionally did not do ther biker -normal Carbo-loading and I was fine for the race. (Which by the way, leads me to believe the ritualistic carbo-loading pasta party pre-race is utter rubbish).

I don´t think skinny-fat boy needs to &quot;Diet&quot; per se, just reorganize his nutritional protocol. Isocaloric is appropriate for almost everyone except roiding BBrs and Endurance athletes who may burn upwards of 6000 calories on race days. Otherwise, iso- and slightly above covers almost everyone doing almost anything.

Projectaero, aren't you the guy who was going to be setting up his own gym?

There's some good advice for diet here and elsewhere on the forum. But you really need to get several HST cycles under your belt and set some decent lifting goals. Push youself and in a years time you will be a different person (visually, at least). I think banks and other lenders will take your business ideas more seriously if you look the part.

Back