Slapshotz' SST journal

UPDATE:

Friday's Workout:

Bench Press - 185 x 4 x 6
Close Grip BP - 135 x 4 x 6
Abs

NOTES:  With my nutso work schedule lately, I had like 15 minutes in the morning b/4 getting ready for work to get something quick done in my basement.  I kept all rest times to about 30 seconds, and worked up a good pump.  At least I got something in.

Saturday's Workout:

Overhand, barehanded deads -  275 x 3
                                                  225 x 4 x 4
Good mornings - 135 x 10 x 3
Push Press - 145 x 2 x 2
Bent over rows (u/h grip) - 195 x 4 x 4
Standing bicep curls
Pikes

NOTES: Much better effort today. I was really proud with my 275 overhand barebacked grip deads. Pulled something, tho, but I think it's a minor strain. Shouldn't keep me out of the gym tomorrow for intense HIIT cardio.

Definitely digging the "one major compound lift" per session mentality. I can do so much more when I don't do squats, bench, or deads in the same w/o.

Stretching is so important to overall fitness...too bad I am so lazy, I need to follow my own advice and stretch more.

Nice to see you improving your health slaps.

Update:

ATG Barbell Squats - 265 x 4 x 4
Single leg extensions
Stiff Legged Deads - 185 x 4 x 6
Calves

NOTES: Short, but intense. Squats are fast becoming my favorite exercise, whereas they used to be my least favored.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">NOTES: Short, but intense. Squats are fast becoming my favorite exercise, whereas they used to be my least favored. </div>

I here you... I recently been enjoying Hack Squats more than the Dead Lift!

Update:

Barbbell Bench Press - 225 x 3 x 3
Barbbell Shrugs - 375 x 10 x 3
Cable x-overs
20 minutes wind sprints

Notes: Solid...legs tomorrow!

C'mon Mike, that's not a bench for you! 3 x 3? For your present goals, I'd have thought a bit less weight done explosively in maybe a 5x5 or therabouts.
Why 3x3? That's nothing to you.

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 25 2008,9:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">C'mon Mike, that's not a bench for you! 3 x 3? For your present goals, I'd have thought a bit less weight done explosively in maybe a 5x5 or therabouts.
Why 3x3? That's nothing to you.</div>
Yeah, I know, Q...it seems a bit odd, but there are a few reasons.

-If you look back, I did do a 5x5 or so bench the other day, with lighter weight. Just a tad of variety within the program.
-I'm not resting at all in between reps, no pause at the top or bottom, which makes it hard for me to do 225 for more than a few reps, and rest between sets is under a minute, as well.
-Strict form, i.e., back/butt doesn't lift off the bench.

Couple that with my overhand grip &amp; strapless workouts, the net result = a much weaker slapz on the three biggies (squat, bench, dead), but if it makes any sense at all, I feel I'm getting more out of what I'm lifting by doing what I'm doing.

Update:

Barbbell ATG Squats - 275 x 3 x 3
Single leg xtensions - 3 x 6
Stiff legged deads - 205 x 3 x 6
Calves
Balance work

Notes: Despite a slight rattly chest cold, I hit it pretty hard, and will probably pay for it later!

Random extensions thrown in there considering you did Squats already. 275 lbs for a 3 x 3 is very solid, but I don't need to tell you that!

I'm back

Last week sucked major donkey balls.

I was sicker than I'd been in God knows how long, and I ended up having 10 days off for the first time in probably a year and a half. It started out as a head cold, but my sinuses became infected, and I had so much fluid in my ears that I would lose my balance &amp; equilibrium when I frigging sneezed or blew my nose. Add that to a cough that sounded like I smoked 3 packs of unfiltered cigs a day, and I was a complete mess.

I guess an SD is never a bad idea, but I would have liked for it to have been on my own terms, but such is life. I dread the DOMS I'll have over the next week or so, along with trying to ramp up to where I was....

ATG Barbell Squats
185 x 10
225 x 8
275 x 4
225 x 6

Bench press
185 x 8
205 x 6
205 x 5
185 x 8

Single leg xtensions

Notes: Well, I have to make up for lost time, so every workout I'm going to do either squats or deads, and skip some of the peripheral stuff. I highly doubt that there's anything better to prepare for the upcoming football season than lots &amp; lots of leg work.

I didn't do wind sprints yet because I'm still coughing somewhat, and my lungs are clearly inflamed from the beating they took.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 05 2008,9:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Welcome back Slapper, good lifts there considering your condition.

&quot;dance all night/play all day...&quot;</div>
Yup, every so often the piper needs to get paid...
sad.gif

Glad you're back to health!

Update:

Tuesday

Strapless overhand deads:
225 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 2
225 x 5

Strapless over/under deads:
325 x 2

Pullups
BW x 10 x 3

Abs

Saturday:

Barbell ATG Squats
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 5
285 x 3
285 x 3
285 x 3
225 x 5

Incline Dumbbell Press:
70s x 8
70s x 7
70s x 6

Calves
Abs

NOTES: Squats &amp; Deads, Squats &amp; Deads, how I love Squats &amp; Deads!
laugh.gif

Almost back to 100% after my illness...have cardio tomorrow, and deads on Monday.

<div>
(colby2152 @ May 10 2008,12:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One more rep and you would have beaten your 4RM of 265 on ATG Squats.</div>
by golly, you're right, colby!

I'm so bad at paying attention to PRs, unless they're all time numbers.  Like if I ever bench 300, I'll know I beat my old 1RM of 295, but I really should do a better job of keeing track of the other numbers.

Cardio day:

15 minutes running

10 minutes wind sprints (15 seconds in between sprints........YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Calves

Back Day:

Weighted Chins
BW+45 - 5
BW+45 - 5
BW+45 - 5
BW+45 - 5
BW+45 - 5

One Armed Pullups
Right 3x3
Left 3x3

Super Wide Grip Pullups
BW - 8
BW - 8
BW - 8

Shrugs
365 x 10
365 x 10

Wind sprints
Calves

NOTES:

All this talk about SD has me thinkin.....I may just have to do a 3-week on, 1-week off cycle. Maybe my thinking on SD has been bass ackwards all along.

Anyhoo, decided to foego the deads today in favor of some old fashioned pullup work, as it's been awhile since I've done them. One-armed pullups felt great.

I may get to be able to do one of those, if my grip improves, my cut continues, and Hell freezes.
I think I saw abs this morning! But by night I'm just a lardass again.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 14 2008,8:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I may get to be able to do one of those, if my grip improves, my cut continues, and Hell freezes.
I think I saw abs this morning! But by night I'm just a lardass again.</div>
Instead of morning wood, u have morning abs???
laugh.gif

UPDATE:

Barbbell ATG squats
135 x 15
185 x 10
265 x 5
295 x 4
225 x 8

Dumbbell Incline Press
80s x 5
70s x 6
70s x 6

Single Leg Leg Xtensions
Calves
Abs

NOTES:
Another solid effort.  I think incline dumbbell presses with bodyweight is pretty decent, as was the one armed pullups from the other day.

I'm totally digging doing one major movement per workout, and mostly that movement has been either squats or deads.  Because of that, I'm going to do one more dead workout and possibly one more squat workout, then SD for a week.

I'll admit when I'm wrong, and I think I've been wrong on the whole idea of SD.  Despite being woefully sick a couple weeks ago, the week off must have done me some good b/c I've been really strong since coming back.  I'm going to shoot for a 3 weeks on 1 week off for the next couple months and see how it goes.   I don't know if it will make me any bigger, but it certainly seems as if it will go a long way towards my strength, if I give it a chance

...and maybe I won't run myself into the ground as much, either.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Instead of morning wood, u have morning abs??? </div> ...at my age ya take what ya can get!
I'd think only 3 on and one off is pretty loose. 4-5 on 1 plus off would be a better scheme IMO. You can't burn out in 3 weeks very easily, unless you're doing HIT.

Nice db presses for a little fart.
laugh.gif

Haven't dropped off the face of the earth, just in the midst of a 10 or so day SD. After reading all the good stuff about it right here on this site, I figured I was a primo candidate to benefit from more frequent SDs given how heavy I train, the fact that I am doing intense cardio along with heavy training, and my age.

If I come back stronger, it will definitely become part of my permanent routine.

Back