Slow bulk

I don't know why my deadlift is going so slow. I went up 10 pounds from last week, and it felt like an extra 50.

deadlifts: 455x7,3
bench: 225 3x5
neg chins: 130x5,3
front squats: 295x5

I should hit my PR for deadlifts (455x11) in a few weeks.

I wish my deadlifts were going that 'badly'.
biggrin.gif
I have never even pulled 455 once.

<div>
(liegelord @ Apr. 25 2007,23:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I don't know why my deadlift is going so slow.  I went up 10 pounds from last week, and it felt like an extra 50.

deadlifts: 455x7,3
bench: 225 3x5
neg chins: 130x5,3
front squats: 295x5

I should hit my PR for deadlifts (455x11) in a few weeks.</div>
Nah, I say you get it by next week!
smile.gif

Thanks slaps, I'm sure going to try. Last night I was off. It may have been from deadlifting and front squatting the night before.

squat cleans: 252 (114.5k)x5 (PR)
power clean &amp; jerk: 198 (90k) 2x3

I just couldn't get another set of 5 on cleans. I pulled it no problem, I was getting buried on the front squat part though. I may have been coming up on the ball of my feet in the hole. It's odd, because the front squat is always the easiest part.

End of week 6. Bad day today, but it's not a surprise. Diet was a bit off the last few days and I probably hit the deadlift too hard. I also didn't give up too easy yesterday with cleans, I think I missed about 9 reps where I couldn't get out of the hole and just dumped it. I had no energy today.

olympic squats: 385x5 (PR)
push-press: 205x2, 3 without lockout
pendlay row: --
neg dips: --

I figured I needed to stop and rest. I'm going to cut back next week and only lift MWF and do olympic lifting M&amp;F.

Week 7. I definitely need the break. I'll probably do just olympic lifting this week as a break from the heavier loads. I did snatch work tonight instead of the usual squat/push-press/row/dip. My form is getting much better and easily hit each set, though I decided to also not do OH squats.

hang power snatch: 60k 5x3 (PR)
power snatch: 70kx3
power clean &amp; jerk: 90kx3

I've never power snatched 60k from a hang before, not because I couldn't, I wasn't focusing on hang snatches before. Next Monday I'll get back to the usual and Wed. should deadlift 455x10.

Worked on clean form today. Did a few squat cleans with 252 and a 300 pound lifter I know was there and told me I was pulling too early and screwing up the 2nd pull. So he worked with me for about 40 minutes and more form has improved. I'll practice what he showed me for a few weeks and I should be able to blow past 252.

He's a powerful guy, even with bad knee he does rack jerks with 315 for 3x3.

Thanks colby. I'm looking for 460x11 before the end of May.

I really needed this week off. I did work on snatch and clean form today. I had no idea I was screwing up the second pull so bad. I was starting when the bar was just below my knee.

Week 8. Taking a week off did the trick. I finally hit my goal with squats. Only the rows felt heavy tonight. Bodyweight up to 223; 4 pounds in 7 weeks.

olympic squats: 385 3x5 PR
push-press: 205x5, 10 max stim
Pendlay rows: 275 3x5
neg chins: 180 2x5 PR

The push-presses were real strong, could have done 210. Should hit 405 3x5 with squats by the end of the month and row 290 3x5. Feels like I can continue to make good strength gains for at least another 4 weeks before I need another week off. Then I'll probably max-stim everything except for squats.

Your log never ceases to amaze me...You have got to post a picture! You must be pretty jacked with those numbers. Good job. How tall are you at 223? What bodyfat %?

I love the way you did the push presses: 205x5, 10 max stim

That's a great idea! I can see doing it like that for a whole workout. It's like the best of both worlds, HST and MS. Hmmmm....

Thanks guys. I will post a picture when I get a good camera. I'm 5'11 and bodyfat? I have no idea, probably 16%, I have blurry upper abs, but I am getting leaner. Last time I measured thighs were 26.5, calves 17 and chest 49.

I'm really sore after olympic lifting tonight. Worked mainly form again.

OH squats: 166 4x2
hang power snatch: 135 (60k) 3x3, 70kx3

Then I really worked form, my second pull was too soon so I did a lot of reps with 50k doing the first part of the 2nd pull and then doing a hang snatch. Can't wait to deadlift tomorrow, should pull 455x9.

The push-presses went well. I would do a rep between warm-ups of rows and dips.

Thanks abarl. Tonight I was a bit off.

deadlift: 455x8,1 two misses because of form
bench: 230 3x5
neg chins: 135x5,3 PR
front squats: 300x1

I was too burned out by deadlifts to front squat today. I'll probably front squat on Friday instead of back squats. I was really surprised the deadlifts felt so damn heavy today.

I don't know why I can't get my bench higher, I've been struggling for years. I'll do 3x5 until I start to stall, usually about 240 and then I'll max-stim it. I've never been a strong presser, my best was 320 at 170, but that was years ago and I've never come close again.

Back