Slow bulk

Aren't we all strangely different in ways. I'm having trouble getting my squats back. I've only done about 450, when I'd hurt my back (which is okay now), but can't seem to get things moving up again myself. Maybe you're like me; I do pretty well with db's but suk at bench.
I'd be ecstatic with the rest of your lifts!

Thanks quad. I'll get that bench over 300 again though, maybe by the end of the year. I missed lifting yesterday and today. Had to go to Tucson and back tonight.

Yow, I hate to hijack a guy's thread, but are you based in Arizona? I've got a prebid meeting possibly coming up over there for a one month job, and if I take it, I'd love to meet you! (maybe learn some of them thar Olyimpical lifts?)
I'll know in about a week if we're going or not.

Arizona, eh? I've always heard that the desert climate is great for asthma/allergy sufferers...any truth to that?

And with your poundages in the other lifts, a monster bench can't be far behind.

Your deads & rows are unbelievable, and you are hitting PB's on squats as well. Can't believe you have the energy to squat AFTER deads. Great lifting.

I only know that if you moved to Arizona with allergies, you'll probably develop new ones. No clue about asthma though. I'm betting the increased strength in my push-press will help get my bench up. At this rate my push-press is going to be more than my bench soon.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Dan, I don't back squat and deadlift the same day, that would be a train-wreck. I do front squats last in my deadlift workout and last week had no energy to squat.

Week 9. Bodyweight up to 223.4, +4.5 in 8 weeks. I was a bit off tonight, don't know why, most numbers were still good though.

olympic squats: 390 2x5, (PR) x4,1
push-press: 210x5, max-stim 210x10
pendlay rows: 275 3x5
neg dips: 185x5 (PR), x3

I hated to miss that one rep with squats, but I'm pretty adamant about not training so close to failure. I could have made it, but I'd probably pay for it, especially with push-presses next. I'm more concerned with deadlifts and hitting squats too hard may affect it. I think it's better to just re-rack the weight and wait a minute for the next rep. I don't want anything to take away from my deadlift, I'm so close to hitting a new PR, should be 460x11 in a few weeks. Then I can finally start doing 5 reps sets again.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the heads up on the AZ climate...knowing me, I'd probably develop an allergy to the many cactii & such...d'oh!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">olympic squats: 390 2x5, (PR) x4,1
push-press: 210x5, max-stim 210x10
pendlay rows: 275 3x5
neg dips: 185x5 (PR), x3</div>

That 390 squat number &amp; 185 negative dip number is something else, liege. I also think that your weight gain is being done at the perfect pace, about 1/2 pound per week. It's very unlikely that much of that gain is fat when it's being done so deliberately. Perfect lbm bulk pace.

Thanks slaps. I had a bad night tonight though. I've been off all week, I missed snatch work on Tuesday so I went last night. Hit a PR for power snatches from a hang (66k 3x3), but I just didn't have the energy for a full workout and worked form. I did my Wed. routine tonight and I got to the gym really late, I can't lift after 8:00. I knew it was going to be bad.

deadlifts: 460x6,1
bench: 235 3x3, 2x2
neg chins: 135 2x3
front squats: -

Deadlifts wore me out, I had nothing left, especially for front squats. The 460x6 is actually a PR for 460. I think I may have to cut the frequency of deadlifts down. I may drop them for a few weeks and focus on squat cleans. I read an article by Bill Starr where said he increased his deadlift that way; a lot less fatigue than doing frequent deadlift. I gotta go to sleep now.

<div>
(liegelord @ May 18 2007,06:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">deadlifts: 460x6,1</div>
Brutal!

If I load 210kgs on my bar and just look at it I feel tired!
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys. I just have no energy this week. I did clean &amp; jerk tonight and worked mainly form. I don't have the second pull down yet. I did a few squat cleans with 112k and felt too fatigued from deadlifting last night to finish. So I did clean &amp; jerk 90k 3x3 and 5-6 sets of 3 of C&amp;J from a hang with only 70k. I finished off with 3x3 of clean pulls from a hang with 286 (130k).

Week 10. Wow, I am going to take a week or so off, I'm really hitting a wall. They moved the scale and it had me at 220.4. I doubt I lost 3 pounds, especially when I woke up Friday with a new stretch mark on one of my lats by the armpit.

olympic squats: 395 2x3
push press: 215x10 max-stim
Pendlay row: 285x15 max-stim
neg chins: --

I could have done 5 with squats, but I didn't want to make the situation worse by hitting what would be a near max lift. Decided to just increase weight a bit with push-presses and rows and max-stim them to help keep from building up more fatigue. leaving for a family reunion Thursday morning and won't be back in town until next Wed. Figured I'd use that as a break.

When I start back I'm going to max-stim on most most exercises and stop doing neg chins and dips. I think there may have been too much fatigue from the neg's. I'm looking to push-press 315 before the end of the year. If a 315 pound (143k) push-press does not help increase my bench then nothing will.
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys. 395 is the heaviest I've ever done on olympic squats, although the 390 2x5 x4 was much better. Even though I have hit a wall I still did snatch work last night, not heavy just working form.

I did C&amp;J tonight. I took it easy though and only did squat cleans 245 (111k)x4 and a whole bunch of hang-cleans and jerks. Did a few with 210.

Going out of town for a week tomorrow, won't be lifting the entire time, except for olympic lifts with a broom handle.
biggrin.gif
Should come back strong next week.

Liege, do you use the hook grip for all your Oly lifts? Any advice? I started to use it for power cleans after reading the chapter in Ripptoe's book. Seems like a lot of strain on my thumb joints. Is it worth bothering with if your normal grip is strong?

LOL, I use a hook grip for any heavy pull. Unless your a freak, you'll always get more from a hook grip. It just takes a few weeks to get used to it. I hated it the first few workouts, but I could pull 50-60 pounds more.

Week 1. I'm back to it. I did more than I should have after not lifting for over a week, I'll really feel it tomorrow. Gym scale has me at 220, so I'll go by that, at least it's consistent.

olympic squats: 370 (168k) 2x5
push-press: 220 (100k) 10 max-stim PR
pendlay rows: 285 (129.5k) 10 max-stim
dips: 95x5

I knew one set of squats would have been enough, 2 weeks since I last did back squats, I was already feeling sore warming up for push-presses. I'm glad I got a PR, FINALLY push-pressing bodyweight, but I should have stayed with 215, 220 was really tough to lock-out. After more than a week off I should have started lower, but I figured it would be OK since I'm doing max-stim.

It's real tempting to push-press 225 (102K) next workout, but I'm sure I'll hit that next week, I don't want to hit a wall again so quick. I'm going to make a few other adjustments though, I'm cutting volume back a bit and not back squatting 2x a week. Instead, olympic squats only on Monday and front squats on Friday.

Back