Some questions

pyro

Hi!
I'm about to begin my first HST cycle but before doing so I have a couple of questions.
I created my workout plan and measured my RMs this week and today I did a test workout in the 10 rep range with submaximal weights. This is the first time I have included compound leg exercises in my workout. I finished in less than 45 minutes and I did not feel tired at all. Is this normal?
Here are the exercises I have done:
Squats - 2 sets
Sumo Deadlifts - 2 sets
Incline DB press - 2 sets
Dips - 2 sets
Lying Cable Flies - 1 set
Wide grip pull-ups (palm facing away) - 2 sets
Narrow grip seated cable rows - 2 sets
Behind the neck presses - 1 set
Barbell upright rows - 1 set
Rear lateral raises - 1 set
Barbell shrugs - 2 sets
EZ bar biceps curls - 1 set
Cable grip triceps pulldowns - 1 set
Standing calf raises - 2 sets
My other problem is that my chest is lagging seriously behind my arms in development. I have huge bis, tris and shoulders yet my chest is pretty small. Also I feel that my shoulders do the work during chest exercises rather than my pecs. How can I handle this situation? Should I include a chest-only day besides my three regular workouts per week? Or should I do a "make-up cycle" for my chest before I begin HST where I do mainly chest work for a couple of weeks? (This is what my bodybuilder friend at my gym suggested who is a zealot for traditional training methods and is very critical of my plan to try HST) Or is it possible to just alter my workout program and begin the HST cycle hoping that everything would work out?
Thanks in advance.

pyro,

I have heard different suggestions concerning comment you made about your shoulders doing all the work during chest exercises. One was to do your shoulders first, that way they are fatigued and you are forced to use your chest more. It might be worth a shot.

Don't let your "body builder" friend discourage you from trying HST. It's up to you to prove to him that it works. And if you follow HST right, he won't be able to argue with you.......he can't argue with results/gains right?

Are doing the typical M/W/F 3 day plan? Just curious, i am in no way criticizing your workout plan.

Oh yea, Good Luck!

Thank you for your input b0xm0ns73r!
Yes I'll do the regular 3 day plan but after today's workout I feel that I could handle a lot more volume. Does my exercise selection look alright?

Back