Soy protein

There is evidence that soy protein can have some negative hormonal effects on males.

That said, I don't think it will matter that much. If it is cheaper per gram of protein, why not go for it. I personally dislike the consistency of soy proteins and don't feel like I can mix in as much powder with my milk when I make shakes.

Yup, I've read of its negative effects of increased estrogen activity (not good for males), but there's this article (last modified 02 May 2004) that is attempting to prove that soy isolate is no worse than whey at a fraction of its cost, and that it's in fact anti-estrogenic:
A soy isolate is inexpensive, has the highest score on the PCDAAS, is very soluble if instantized, is extremely bland (a good thing), IMPROVES kidney function (unlike any other protein), is anticarcinogenic, is anti-estrogenic, lowers LDL (bad) and raises HDL (good) cholesterol, IMPROVES THYROID FUNCTION, etc, etc--the list goes on and on. But best of all, unlike whey isolate, pure soy isolates exist.
Daidzein is a key isoflavone found in soy that acts as a potent phyto-estrogen. It is structurally a very weak "pseudo-estrogen" (about 1000 times weaker than the body's primary estrogen estradiol). This is good news to the bodybuilder because weak estrogens like daidzein will compete with stronger estrogens like estradiol for available receptor sites to "bind" to. By binding to the receptor sites daidzein then "blocks" the stronger estrogens from binding to and activating receptor sites. With the daidzein isolflavone attached, estrogen receptor sites remain inactive. This inactivity further minimizes the negative effects of estrogen in the body. Many researchers believe this effect is the reason soy protein is linked to a reduction in the risk for many forms of breast, endometrial, and prostate cancer. This mechanism works similarly to the prescription drug Nolvadex (tamoxifen citrate)--an anti-estrogen staple in the bodybuilding community.

Also some newer work in response to the 19-year old vegan taking huge amounts of soy and effectively impairing his erectile function for a year: http://soynutrition.com/ourexperts/...oy-could-have-negative-health-effects-on-men/

Last edited:
The taste and consistency just isn't worth it for me ... like, if the store is paying ME to drink it, I'm probably passing, it's that bad.

Never mind the taste, I always pick vanilla flavour anyway. Price is much more important for my type ;)

Honestly, I just don't think it's worth the risk. A buddy of mine had thinning hair and took finasteride, which definitely worked to grow his hair back. Sex drive disappeared completely after a month or so on it. After he came off, sex drive never returned to normal and eventually the hair that he had grown on the finasteride fell out.

Don't mess around with your hormones, not worth it.

Honestly, I just don't think it's worth the risk. A buddy of mine had thinning hair and took finasteride, which definitely worked to grow his hair back. Sex drive disappeared completely after a month or so on it. After he came off, sex drive never returned to normal and eventually the hair that he had grown on the finasteride fell out.
Does soy contain finasteride?

Don't mess around with your hormones, not worth it.
That's what The Industry would love to make you believe, so you buy more expensive whey protein, which is a byproduct of making cheese. It's always hard not to fall into that trap.

Totentanz's story isn't about the specifics, it's about principle.

Also, your imaginary big bad guy 'industry' makes soy protein products as well ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Better put on your tinfoil hat then. They are most likely beaming thoughts into your head to control what you purchase, that's the only defense. I read an article about it so it is obviously totally true.

Boom, I win!! You lose! Hah.

Resurrecting the topic...

OP, if you don't mind taste you should try some egg protein. Here in Brazil at least is half the price (or less) than Whey and has a good absorption.

Whey is heavily overpriced in Brazil and there are plenty of fake or underdosed products around.

Back