Soy protein

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by HST_Rihad, Feb 18, 2013.

1. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

Hi. Any of you guys used soy protein supplements, or a mix of soy+whey+milk protein, such as Full Force Mixed Protein Matrix? Good or bad, they're considerably cheaper than whey alone, so I'm thinking of buying one.

2. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

There is evidence that soy protein can have some negative hormonal effects on males.

That said, I don't think it will matter that much. If it is cheaper per gram of protein, why not go for it. I personally dislike the consistency of soy proteins and don't feel like I can mix in as much powder with my milk when I make shakes.

3. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

Yup, I've read of its negative effects of increased estrogen activity (not good for males), but there's this article (last modified 02 May 2004) that is attempting to prove that soy isolate is no worse than whey at a fraction of its cost, and that it's in fact anti-estrogenic:
    Also some newer work in response to the 19-year old vegan taking huge amounts of soy and effectively impairing his erectile function for a year: http://soynutrition.com/ourexperts/...oy-could-have-negative-health-effects-on-men/

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

The taste and consistency just isn't worth it for me ... like, if the store is paying ME to drink it, I'm probably passing, it's that bad.

5. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

Never mind the taste, I always pick vanilla flavour anyway. Price is much more important for my type ;)

6. Totentanz

Yeah and who needs erections anyway.

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Not to mention a brand new pair of bitch tits if you're (un)lucky ...

8. Totentanz

Honestly, I just don't think it's worth the risk. A buddy of mine had thinning hair and took finasteride, which definitely worked to grow his hair back. Sex drive disappeared completely after a month or so on it. After he came off, sex drive never returned to normal and eventually the hair that he had grown on the finasteride fell out.

Don't mess around with your hormones, not worth it.

9. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

I drink soy milk and some other soy , no ill effects for me.

10. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

Does soy contain finasteride?

That's what The Industry would love to make you believe, so you buy more expensive whey protein, which is a byproduct of making cheese. It's always hard not to fall into that trap.

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Totentanz's story isn't about the specifics, it's about principle.

Also, your imaginary big bad guy 'industry' makes soy protein products as well ...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  12. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

True, but it's more of a demand/supply issue. It's like McDonald's selling cheaper hamburgers alongside unproportionally more expensive big'n'tasty or whatever.

13. Totentanz

Better put on your tinfoil hat then. They are most likely beaming thoughts into your head to control what you purchase, that's the only defense. I read an article about it so it is obviously totally true.

Boom, I win!! You lose! Hah.

14. leonardopm

leonardopm Member

Resurrecting the topic...

OP, if you don't mind taste you should try some egg protein. Here in Brazil at least is half the price (or less) than Whey and has a good absorption.

Whey is heavily overpriced in Brazil and there are plenty of fake or underdosed products around.