Speed of Reps with HST

• Thread starter imported_dorian99
  • Start date
I

imported_dorian99

Hi there came across HST the other day Im thinking about giving it a go, I have been training MAX OT style for about 12 months, At first I made some good gains and my strength went through the roof, but now im finding training quite stale and im looking for a change.
My question is what sort of rep tempo do we use with HST??
Is it s 4 second count down and accelerate through the positive, I have done I have had a look around and havent found to much on this.

In general, 2-0-2 is fine throughout. However, for the 15s, especially in the lighter weights, you could do 4-0-2 to accentuate the burn. And for the negs, you might try 2-0-4 for those lifts you can't do negatives on. Oh- Kate suggested doing something like 2-2-2 for calf raises- the rest at the bottom really, really helps, IMO- thanks Kate!!
Jake

Cheers Jake I will give that a go I had my first workout on Monday with 15s and I have pulled up a bit sore, Im so used to MAX OT I have forgotten what that burning feeling is like.

And a good feeling it is
happy.gif
Welcome to the forum and HST, Dorian!
Jake

Hi dorian99,

Feel free to use your own instinct as well. If you have learned to load the muscle by feel, you will find yourself wanting to slow things down and/or spped things up as the situation demands.

Often times during the 15, it is better to slow things down and maximize the metabolic demands on the tissue. Later, during the heavy 5s, sometimes slowing things down can drain the CNS prematurely, and prevent you from getting in additional sets (TUT). So, use your ability to control the tempo to adjust it to your best andvantage on the fly.

Of course, we are always interested in getting as much out of the eccentric portion of any movement that we can. So, if you need to speed up the concentric protion to get another good eccentric rep in, go for it.

Back