Splenda

Razien99

I use it in oatmeal & protein shakes, read a few articles that claim its one of the worst things in existence and other people say its perfectly fine.

Is it ok to use?

The FDA certainly seems to think it is fine. Personally, I'll trust them over some wackos who think artificial sweeteners cause everything that is wrong with humankind.

I have heard there are traces of chorline in Splenda which leads me to believe that it is worse than Aspartame which contains Methanol. Once again it is traces... How much chlorine will you swallow when swimming in a pool? The common factor among all artificial sweeteners is a small amount of something that is near poisonous to human beings. However, the amounts are so small that it doesn't matter. To have an effect, you would have to drink an entire case of diet pop or two dozen packs of Splenda everyday. Even them, I am not sure on it's validity of hurting you.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Jun. 05 2006,18:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Splenda started the cold war</div>
The cold war....well, isn't that just Splendid
biggrin.gif

i have friends who think the aluminum in deoderant gives you cancer. while it may be true, you need rediculous doses in order for it to be a problem.

i wouldnt worry about it. the alternative (sugar) can bring on diabetes, i like splendid.

I believe splenda is made is chlorinated sucrose made with thionyl chloride and one of the more basic amines. The reaction would most likely be quenched with water, destroying any unreacted thionyl chloride, which is really the only chemical to worry about. Thionyl chloride breaks down to sulfur dioxide and hydrochloric acid. The S02, a gas, is not present simply becuase its a dry product. HCl would be washed out with the quench, which would also remove the amine since it is going to be in salt form with the HCl (unless it is an amine with a large enough molecular weight). Any trace chlorine would be in the form of the chloride in the acid. Just for reference HCl is the major consituent of stomach acid.
If I am correct in the way it is made, of which I am confident, I personally have no worries.

I have reactions for anti persperant on my arm pits. I am not sure if I am allergic or if the aluminum clogging my pores irritates them.

So I use deoderant and I dont get the pain, or the cancer.

You can buy stuff (in the UK anyway) which is for excessive sweating. It contains high amounts of aluminium which clog the sweat glands and prevents sweating (totally in the area applied - armpits).

However, its been known to cause excessive irritation to the skin where its applied - very red, very ichy.

my sister, a phd in chemistry, worked out the chemical makeup of this stuff and was a bit freaked out. She told me to cut back. I have about 10 packets per day, I can't imagine oatmeal without it!

Lol I hope she didnt take very long &quot;working out the chemical make up&quot;. Its structure is well known. It sucrose (sugar) with 3 hydroxyl groups replaced with chlorine groups. I cant imagine that she would be freaked out at all based on the chemical structure. A chemist wouldnt recognize any biological functions from the structure unless they were a specifically trained pharmaceutical chemist who does research in bioactive molecules.

10 packs a day?! Good lord! I would say cut back just to ween you off the sweet tooth lol.

she mentioned something about the chlorine and about how much I had used that day lol..that was her freakout. I thought it funny at the time eheh
smile.gif

Oh no, because chlorine definitely isn't used in anything else fit for human consumption. Some people are just silly. I mean, we all know salt is poisonous too, because it has chlorine in it. Right?

I've heard that breathing in dihydrogenoxide can kill you, and that thousands of people die from this each year!

I have heard tin foil hats help against that.
smile.gif

Yeah but she should know that that chlorine isnt going anywhere. Its a reversible reaction and the conditions in the body are just too mild to push it to release any appreciable amounts of chlorine if at all. Even if the reaction were to occur in situ its a hydrolysis reaction which results in the chlorine being replaced with a hydroxyl group, which is the original group for the sucrose, and the elimination of HCl. Any part of the body where this could happen is gonna have plenty of HCl around already and will be just a drop in the bucket.

Besides, I hate the taste of Splendid. We have it here at work along with some Tate &amp; Lyle packets. I've resorted to bringing in a tub of granulated sugar in case we run out of the T&amp;L stuff (which happens often).
rock.gif

Back