Squats or Deadlifts?

I

imported_daxie

Hello,

planning my next cycle already...
Would like to put in deadlifts or squats...

Problem is, I have never done them intensively before.
(I did do some semi-deadlifts with about 200lbs, before my forearms couldn't hold it anymore, but never full deadlifts)(also did some squatting before, but never above 200, so never really hard, I guess I just didn't dare :confused: )

So which one would be best to start incorporating?
Which one is easiest to get to the correct weight? (Meaning I know for example with squat I could do up to 240 or something, but I never done it, so would have to learn it a bit...)

thnx

daxie

Daxie

Deadlifts are the mother of exercises, a very good compound but taxying like hell, straight leg deads though are a lot easier and do not need so much weight. I dropped DL's because my lower back started hurting, and I was only on the 100 Kg. poundage!

Squats if you start off nice and easy, the HST approach, should be fine even when you take them to the real heavy poundage.

Example, I never though I could squat even 100 Kg., the last cycle I did 124 Kg. and this cycle I am attempting 130 Kg, my body weight after two cycles and protein shakes has been improved to 70 Kg. so I am not a big dude.

I am sure that yuo can do it without a problem.

I would work on squat form if I were you, but use deadlifts for now. In my opinion, deadlifts are easier to master. I like both though.

An other option is to work with a Shrug bar or Trap bar, so you will hit all your muscles.
Since many years i work only with this bar with great results

success

Learn both. Use the deadlift for more overall development. The squat will focus on your legs more, as well as help to increase your vertical leap over the course of time. Both are great, functional exercises, but the deadlift remains king for numerous reasons.

Totentanz is right - the deadlift is easier to master initially. You can caught up with all the variations, though. It may become annoying. I would suggest trying out a clean-grip deadlift - double overhand grip. You might not be able to use as much weight this way, but if you're not a powerlifter, that shouldn't matter.

Of course, the over-under (mixed) grip deadlift can stress the biceps. The supinated hand will have a lot of force for the bicep to stabilize. Switch grips between training sessions so they're equally affected. The over-under grip feels odd to me, but I'd still use it if I were concerned with bicep stimulation and growth.

Back