Starting first HST cycle

Ironman

Im starting my first HST routine tomorrow, I just have one last question...should I alternate exercises every other workout within a 2 week period? Im asking becouse the HST calculator has 6 slots per rep phase for each exercise, im assuming its for each workout of the phase which implies that you should stick with the same movements thoughout the whole 8 weeks. I know you could switch exercises thoughout but im asking if you should for a very basic HST routine.
Also, what is 'metabolic work' Ive seen it mentioned in the forums.
Here's my HST calculator, this is pretty much what I plan on doing thoughout the cycle. Please let me know what you think.
What I would like to do is work out a way to get some more exercise variety in there..not much just a few like deadlifts, incline bench, and some other stuff.
What if I did something like this:
Looking at legs only, id alternate the squat and leg curl every workout for the first 2 weeks, the stiff legged deadlift and leg press, for the next 2, then the squat and deadlift, for the next two, and maybe squat and leg extension for the last two. Id do a similar template for the the chest and back as well. How does that sound for a first cycle.

theirs no need to switch exercises ...you can keep the same ones for a few cycles or all if you want..as long as your working all bodyparts changing angles on benches wont make a lot of difference.

Hello Ironman :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]should I alternate exercises every other workout within a 2 week period?

You don't have to, but you can if you want.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im asking becouse the HST calculator has 6 slots per rep phase for each exercise, im assuming its for each workout of the phase which implies that you should stick with the same movements thoughout the whole 8 weeks.

Well, not really. The calculator is just a simple program, not a complicated one that can adjust to every need. It's simply limited to the most basic thing it can do, hence don't make it a measurement or guide for HST. Stick with the HST priniciples and you won't go wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, what is 'metabolic work' Ive seen it mentioned in the forums.

Metabollic work increases the oxidation of the muscle cells - simply put, that involves doing drop sets or metabollic sets after the low-rep exercises. To understand why, try this: Drop sets/High-rep sets

Your workout seems ok to me. Alternating the heavy lifts like deadlifts and squats is a good idea. Never do them on the same workout.

Regards, hope that helps :)
-JV

Hi,

I'm female, trying to loose a lot of bodyfat, and on Monday I'm starting with HST (I'm not new to weight training). Are on this forum any females with good results with this rutine (actually, are here any girls at all? :) )

Hi Metka

I'm sure they're must girls around here somewhere. Either way there's no reason why the routine would work for a guy and not a girl

Start a thread altogether with that same post in General Training (or this category) and I'm sure you'd get alot of encouragement
thumbs-up.gif

Ironman, your load progression looks too small for big exercises like squats. You are only increasing the weights at 5 lb. intervals. I'd make larger jumps, if I were you. This will prove more conducive to hypertrophy.

Contrary to popular belief, squats and deadlifts can be done in the same workout. I happen to do mine one another the other. The thing is, though, I regulate intensity to accomodate this.

I wouldn't recommend using conventional or sumo deadlifts 3-4x a week during an HST cycle, simply because despite the submaxial loading, the deadlift is such an intense exercise that you would probably burn out rather quickly, especially with all the other exercises you're using. That being said, cycling the deadlift and squat is a good idea.

Don't fret about exercise variety unless it's a psychological thing. If it mentally makes you feel secure, or helps you to enjoy working out by breaking the monotony, by all means do this. However, most people would benefit most from focusing on increasing the poundages in their bench, squat, deadlift, chinup, dip, bentover row (done parallel to the floor), and standing military press over time to grow. The isolations aren't really needed until you get near the size you want to be. At this point, you can prioritize/specialize on lagging bodyparts.

Don't take my word as gospel, though. I'm only eighteen.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hi,

I'm female, trying to loose a lot of bodyfat, and on Monday I'm starting with HST (I'm not new to weight training). Are on this forum any females with good results with this rutine (actually, are here any girls at all? :) )

You would do well to understand that exercise programs are not partial to males or females, unless your goal is to build slabs of mass, which would prove impossible unless you used AAS, due to the fact that you're body won't naturally give you high enough T-levels to support growth. Not like a man, anyway.

For losing bodyfat, HST will work wonders. Frequent whole body routines will help to burn more calories which, in the end, will help you to lose more fat.

Remember this - calories in < calories out. That is all you need to know for weight loss. The weight will be fat, provided you're exercising to maintain or build muscle, are getting enough protein (one gram of protein per lb/kg of bodyweight minimum), and are not eating too few calories (only shoot for about 500 calories under your maintenance level).

Also, as you achieve lower bodyfats, you may want to use something like HIIT to help rid yourself of subcutaneous fat. Vicious covered this well in this thread:

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....isceral

And this one:

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....isceral

Finally, if you have a high carb intake, you can supplement it with apple cider vinegar to aid in nutrient partitioning:

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....;t=1063

I agree with Chthonian's comment about the increments for squats and other large exercises. Especially with the poundages you are using. What you should do is, instead of incrementing every workout, is increment every other workout and use a larger increment. Through my experience, I am beginning to believe that if you use larger increments and increment slightly less frequently, you will make better gains.

I think in your case, with the squats especially, you could afford to start out lighter. You can go as low as 70% of your RM. So for the 15s, you could start out at 220 lbs and increment by 15-20 lbs each time. Don't worry about a little bit of zig zagging either. The wider gap in progression will help your gains considerably. With your current setup, your progression is so tight... and then notice how on your last day of 15s in squats, you are at 315, then suddenly jump to 340 on the first day of 10s. Larger increments and lower starting weights would definitely fix that.

I also agree that deadlifts and squats can be done in the same workout. If you are having trouble doing both, then instead of doing two sets of squats and not doing deadlifts at all, you could try doing one set of squats and one set of deadlifts. I think doing 1 or 2 sets of each would be a far better idea than doing multiple sets of only one.

Back