stimulation of leptin production

Hi VC,

haha, u seem so afraid of me! Come on, i wouldnt stalk you. If you dont mind, can send me a copy of his book?

You working at the Patent Office? Cool! It must have been fun looking at the applications being filed for patents. Have you seen Pat Arnold's patent for 1-AD?
laugh.gif

Hi Spencer

> haha, u seem so afraid of me! Come on, i wouldnt stalk you.

The way you talk, you seem to suspect that I think of you as a gay stalker. Seriously, I am not being standoffish -- some folks are naturally more sociable than others. I am a bit of an introvert.

Besides, you are in Singapore. whew.

> If you dont mind, can send me a copy of his book?

I'd better not. (1) Lyle would be pissed at me, _if_ he knew. Not that he would know. (2) I am not fond of violating copyrights laws at the request of anyone in an _OPEN_ _PUBLIC_ forum. I mean what would you say, if I asked here, "please obtain me some slave girls." Not that its the same thing.

> You working at the Patent Office? Cool! It must have been
> fun looking at the applications being filed for patents. Have
> you seen Pat Arnold's patent for 1-AD?

No, cuz I don't care about his patent application. Not to mention it is illegal here. I did work as a patent examiner and see hilarious patent applications. You would not believe what people invent.

===============================

Spencer,

Let us pursue this, if you are so inclined at another thread, at another time. As much as I like male-to-male bonding (but I like male-female bonding better), the topic of this thread was supposed to be about leptin and glucosamine.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (virtualcyber @ June 27 2002,10:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, I am South Korean, living in the USA.  And when Korean soccer team lost, I was pi@#$@#$.  It was fun watching, even though thanks to Lars, I kept imagining &quot;The Fat Bastard&quot; telling me what a loser I am for watching spectator sports.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You're sick! Did you imagine fat bastard playing with his niples and telling you that he was sexy while you were a loser ? That sounds WAY kinky - even for me
tounge.gif

OBTW: I didn't even know soccer qualified as a &quot;sport&quot;
worship.gif

Hi, Lars

&gt; You're sick! Did you imagine fat bastard playing with his
&gt; niples and telling you that he was sexy while you were a
&gt; loser ? That sounds WAY kinky - even for me.

No, I did not imagine that -- thank god. BTW, I would like to take this opportunity to point out that you may have done permanent damage to my already feeble psyche. Somehow my brain seems to have associated this website with your avatar. So, when I think &quot;HST&quot;, I also think &quot;Fat Bastard.&quot; When I think &quot;Fat Bastard,&quot; I also think &quot;HST.&quot;

&gt; OBTW: I didn't even know soccer qualified as a &quot;sport&quot;

Yeah, I know, I know -- watching it is even worse. On the bright side, I think I burned some serious calories staying up late at night, thus totally offsetting the effects of beer and chips I consumed watching the games.

Someone told me about this thread (and Bryan's been bugging me to post here anyhow) and I see my name is being taken in vain as usual.  ;)

Couple of comments.
1. All of the studies on glucosamine and leptin are in vitro, that is, they add it to cell culture.  I highly (highly, highly) doubt that oral glucosamine is going to have any effect.  It's not absorbed well enough orally in the first place, and blood flow to the fat cells is too poor.  I don't know if it would work topically (i.e. DMSO or something), would depend on how big it is.  I kind of doubt it.  I know it is big, which is why its absorbed so poorly.  Incidentally, some research suggests that it's the sulfate part of glucosamine sulfate having the main effect, NOT the glucosamine.  Which would make sense considering how little glucosamine actually gets into the bloodstream.

2. EPA doesn't work through the hexosamine biosynthetic pathway as someone stated (the HBP is simply a nutrient sensing pathway in both muscle and fat cells which 'tells' the cell how it's doing on nutrients, by changes in glucose metabolism in the cell).  EPA works via the PPAR nuclear pathway (PPAR gamma is the main receptor in fat cells, PPAR alpha is in muscle cells).  I'm too tired and spaced out right now to type out what PPAR stands for; can't sleep for some reason.

3. In the studies where EPA decreased leptin levels, it was because the EPA caused the fat cell to lose fat. It's easy to confuse what's doing what for this reason.

And that's the bottom line: any time you pull calories out of fat cells, leptin levels go down, becuase of changes in hexosamine levels (it has to do with levels of an end product with this horribly complicated name that I can never remember; when that end product goes down, the fat cell 'knows' it's losing calories, and leptin production goes down).  I tried to find ways to 'trick' the pathway but I don't think it can be done.  I will be curious to see what's in Leptigen though.  I have a few guesses on the ingredients but am waiting to see.

4. Yes, it would be ideal to maintain leptin levels at a normal level while dieting.  Finally, a recent study tested this (all of the previous leptin studies were using it wrong). Dieted folks and then gave them just enough leptin to return levels back to baseline.  It corrected metabolic rate, thyroid levels, and caused further fat loss.  Well, duh (sorry, I'm cynical, I knew this was how leptin should be used two years ago and the researchers just now caught up).  For the time being, high carb, high calorie refeeds are really the only way to naturally bump leptin.  You still can't get it back to where it needs to be.

Lyle

I wrote:

2. EPA doesn't work through the hexosamine biosynthetic pathway as someone stated (the HBP is simply a nutrient sensing pathway in both muscle and fat cells which 'tells' the cell how it's doing on nutrients, by changes in glucose metabolism in the cell).  EPA works via the PPAR nuclear pathway (PPAR gamma is the main receptor in fat cells, PPAR alpha is in muscle cells).  I'm too tired and spaced out right now to type out what PPAR stands for; can't sleep for some reason.

My mistake, I shouldn't try reading abstracts and posting at 3am, I read it wrong. The abstract does say that EPA appears to work via the HBP, although I'm not entirely sure how it would do so (there's no place for EPA to really 'fit into' the pathway). I'll hve to read the whole paper see waht their reasoning is.

Again, my mistake.

Lyle

Back