Strategic Deconditioning nutrition

SDR

Just wondering what you guys do, nutrition wise, during a SD period? Do you scale back the calories? Alter macro levels? Or do you continue to eat and supplement as if your still in active training mode?

Shoot for maintenance level calories -- no bulking, no cutting.

SD is a time for sitting around a lot and doing nothing. Use your TV remote a lot. Watch movies. Try to get people to bring you things...

Much like TR said...

If I am bulking, I keep calories high the first two or three days, then drop them down to maintenance but keep protein at least at 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

If I am cutting, I don't SD unless I need a break from the diet, in which case I try to increase the calories up to maintenance over the first couple days, keeping protein high, then stay at maintenance until the SD is over.

Thanks for the input. I've gotten in such a habit with my nutrition, it only occurred to me late in my SD that I may want to alter somethings since just I'm sitting on my ass.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried a Protein Sparing Modified Fast like Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss diet when Fat Loss is a higher priority than Muscle growth. I imagine it feels like hell, but I'd be curious as to the results. I don't imagine you'd fast more than 3-4 days to keep your metabolism from totally tanking.

SD is pretty much the worst time to do that.

I've done it for two weeks during the 10s before with decent results. My metabolism didn't tank out either, and I was tracking body temp in the morning to verify this. However, by the second week, I was dreaming about food every night. The first few days were the worst though. I had no endurance and very little strength during my workouts. After 3 or 4 days the loss of energy went away and I was able to do my workouts without much difficulty.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried a Protein Sparing Modified Fast like Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss diet when Fat Loss is a higher priority than Muscle growth. I imagine it feels like hell, but I'd be curious as to the results. I don't imagine you'd fast more than 3-4 days to keep your metabolism from totally tanking.
You might want to check out Lyle McDonald's The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook. It's full of good advice about recommended protein levels, food sources, and such.

If you're going to try an extrem diet like that, you'll want to lift heavy, but not often.

You might want to check out Lyle McDonald's The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook. It's full of good advice about recommended protein levels, food sources, and such.

If you're going to try an extrem diet like that, you'll want to lift heavy, but not often.

Do you know where you can get hold of this handbook, I cant seem to find it anywhere

Cheers

When would you say is the best stage of the cylce to do this, and how long do you do it for?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

I kind of wonder, how long after your last workout your muscles actually benefit from increased rest and nutrition before they are essentially going from active growth mode back to maintenance type mode.

I kind of wonder, how long after your last workout your muscles actually benefit from increased rest and nutrition before they are essentially going from active growth mode back to maintenance type mode.

Off the top of my head, I think the figure is about 36 hours. The information is on this site somewhere if you want to do a search.

We aren't really sure at this point. It is up to 36 hours with a peak in protein synthesis at the 24 hour mark. However, there is evidence that in trained individuals this can shorten quite a bit. I also saw something that suggested that it doesn't shorten. I go with 24 hours as my working time frame when setting up my nutrition.

Back