Strength, Mass, and Alcohol

Joe G

To what extent does drinking on weekends (maybe 6 beers on friday and saturday night) effect strength and mass gains? I am looking for a study or personal experiences.

Thanks,

Joe G

You mean 6 beers altogether or 6 beers per night?

Well in either case thats not much or i assume that you dont get a hangover from that kind of amount of alcohol. Just go ahead. However remember that the energy coming from alcohol is that kind of energy which will go straight your waist :D

Excess use of alcohol will inhibit your progress. As with all things, dont overdo it
thumbs-up.gif

Per night. And yea nothing close to a hang over. Not really even getting drunk, more of a social thing. So that shouldn't really slow me down then huh. Sounds good.

Joe G

I read a study once that looked at moderate intakes of alcohol compared with binge drinking. The research showed that moderate alcohol consumption can actually increase testosterone levels for short periods, but that drinking on a binge level (or enough to induce intoxication) caused a severe drop in T levels, among other things that would hinder growth.

It is noted that the usage of alcohol will inhibit protein synthesis. Here is an article..more in pubmed

Acute effects of ethanol on protein synthesis in different muscles and muscle protein fractions of the rat.

Preedy VR, Peters TJ.
Clin Sci (Lond). 1988 May;74(5):461-6.

The effects of a single dose of ethanol (75 mmol/kg body weight) on rates of muscle protein synthesis were examined in young rats. Fractional rates of protein synthesis were measured in the soleus, plantaris, gastrocnemius, diaphragm and stomach by the large 'flooding-dose' technique. 2. After 150 min, the fractional synthesis rates of all muscles were reduced by 15-35%. Skeletal muscles containing a predominance of anaerobic (fast-twitch, type II) fibres showed greater changes when compared with skeletal muscles with a predominance of aerobic (slow-twitch, type I) fibres. 3. Gastrocnemius muscles were separated into sarcoplasmic, stromal and myofibrillar protein fractions. Protein synthesis was reduced similarly in all fractions by ethanol treatment, by approximately 30%. 4. As skeletal muscle mass comprises 40% of body weight, the responses have important physiological implications and may also be responsible for the muscle atrophy observed in alcoholic patients.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wrestlingmark @ Sep. 03 2005,5:58)]dkm or Mr.Haycock..........any knowledge on this?
Besides what Tcup posted there are quite a few studies that looked at alcohol and PS, but not hypertrophy per se. One can conclude from the studies that CHRONIC consumption is detrimental. It's impact is seen more on type II fibers than type I but both are impacted.

Acutley, alcohol consumption still has an impact but the impact is lessened.

One other thing to remember is the studies I've read haven't used alcohol consumption with training so the FSB could very well be different. Still, just using a little common sense it's not a good idea to go binge drinking EVERY weekend. Not only does it impact FSR but there is also the social and or even legal ramifications.

Dan

i am a heavey drinker, but slowing down. i stopped drinking for 6 weeks at one point and saw my gains triple what they were previously.

id be a much bigger dude if i didnt have an on and off love affair with beer all my life!

I use to go out every week end and sometimes during the week with my friends ( especially during summer ) before i started getting more serious about weight training and finding out about hst, now i almost never go out, i dont like going clubbing and not drinking, its just boring, and going on a terrasse without a nice drink/beer is pointless too, so during my cycle i get drunk/tipsy maybe like once or twice on special occasion ( birthdays, holydays whatever ) or else i wait until sd to party...

But i always wondered how bad it really is... does it make a difference if i take 1 drink or 2 drink during the week, or is it ok to drink once per week , or per 2 weeks, it really annoys me that i cant drink, and all my friends are always like " ah just a few drink its not gonna change anything "
i wonder whats the frequency / quantity you can drink alcool and still not be affected by it to a point where its bad ( not neglectable )

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Louno @ Sep. 07 2005,10:33)]it really annoys me that i cant drink, and all my friends are always like " ah just a few drink its not gonna change anything "
i wonder whats the frequency / quantity you can drink alcool and still not be affected by it to a point where its bad ( not neglectable )
It shouldn`t be annoying you...

As with everything keep it real...More alcohol you drink more it will inhibit your progress. Each of us will make our own judgement about what to do...The quantity lies in between you ears
tounge.gif

Since I have gotten back to school for the fall semester I have had 6 beers on friday and saturday nights. The weird thing is I am getting stronger. Maybe it's the extra calories, who knows. And like my suitmate says " It's basically water cmon." haha.

Joe G

Joe G,

Extra calories? Hardly man - alcohol doesn't do anything good for you... unless you are drinking regular beer, then maybe the carbs are helping you.

I'll second the comment, "It's basically water cmon" as I drink my "water" right now.

-Colby

Well remember, each gram of alcohol does have 7 calories... that's more than protein and carbs have, though still slightly less than fat.

I don't think it is that hard to just stop drinking while you are on an HST cycle. Save that crap for SD. But then I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't drink, smoke or do anything like that, ever. Guess that means I'm a boring git.

Back