Stuart Phillips 20 reps

bodyguard

Stuart Phillips 20 reps
This week I read an artickle in the newspaper about Stuart Phillips who preaches about doing high reps.
See

and more

Have any here expierence with dong hight reps, like 20 whole body?
Your opion please

Last edited:
I often start the 15s with 20-25 reps per set per exercise. I could slow the reps down but I prefer a faster cadence, so I do more reps and go for the burn.

The basic principles of muscle growth are now well established. Fatigue is not a prerequisite for muscle growth. The linked articles do not explain how high-rep work can be used progressively over time to enable continued muscle growth. At the end of the day, high-reps (with light loads) will only work while the stimulus is novel enough to elicit a PS response. Once the body has adapted to the stress/load, increased stress/load will be required in order to once again create a novel stimulus.

Borge Fagerli's Myo-Reps training method is a good way to use lighter weights than you might use in a typical HST cycle; it still uses progressive loading but uses fatigue to ensure full fibre recruitment with lighter loads. If you are interested in finding out more there is a Myo reps thread here somewhere (plus Borge - aka Blade - also has his own site but a lot of the text is in Norwegian).

http://myrevolution.no/myo-reps-del-1-en-evolusjon-og-revolusjon/

If you can't read Norwegian, try putting the url into the Google translator.

Hi LOL

thanks for the interesting artickle what you have put here.

I have read it via the translator but I dont understand everything.
They are talking about the "11 reps (nær utmattelse) + 3 reps + 3 reps + 3 reps + 3 reps + 3 reps

= 11 +15 reps"

When you do this, you have to put weight on the bar when you will do the next 3 reps or is it just the rest and than following the next 3 reps with the same weight?

Thanks

Hi LOL

thanks for the interesting artickle what you have put here.

I have read it via the translator but I dont understand everything.
They are talking about the "11 reps (nær utmattelse) + 3 reps + 3 reps + 3 reps + 3 reps + 3 reps

= 11 +15 reps"

When you do this, you have to put weight on the bar when you will do the next 3 reps or is it just the rest and than following the next 3 reps with the same weight?

Thanks

You use same weight all the way.
After first set close to failure you rest 10-30 sec (5-12 deep breaths) and do mini-sets series with same short rests

okay, and it doesnt matter how many mini sets after the first set?
You go by fill, until you can perform minimum rep count.
For example for 10-12 reps you do 3 reps minisets, until you can perform at least 3 reps close to failure.
I mean you stop when you can accomplish only 2 reps OR in 3 reps you got RPE 9

The guidelines are:

20-25 reps – 5 reps of Myo-reps series, 2-5 breaths break - notation 20-25 5 x
15-20 reps – 5 reps of Myo-reps range, 5-10 breaths break - notation 15-20 5 x
12-15 reps – 4 reps on the Myo-reps range, 5-10 breaths break - notation 12-15 4 x
9-12 reps – 3 reps of Myo-reps range, 10-15 breaths break - notation 9.12 x 3
6-9 reps – 1 or 2 reps on the Myo-reps range, 15-20 breathing pause - notation 6-9 2 x or 9.6 x 1 - in this area, however, we begin to get up on weights that have complete fiber from the activation first repetition, and we can begin to think of other principles of auto-regulation of the amount of training, with longer rest intervals between each set.

Last edited:
I have one more question about the guideline:

Do I the 20-25 reps in the first 2 weeks, 15-20 reps the second 2 weeks, 12-15 reps the third 2 weeks etc in compare wtih HST?

Blade says
Let's look at what an example training phase could look like from the beginning to the end. You would increase your weights approximately 5% from week to week.

Week 1-2: 50-55%, 20-25 +15 (20-25 +5+5+5)
Week 3-4: 60-65%, 15-20 +16 (15-20 +4+4+4+4)
Week 5-6: 70%, 12-15 +15 (12-15 +3+3+3+3+3)
Week 7-9: 75%, 10-12 +15 (10-12 +3+3+3+2+2+2)
Week 10-12: 80%, 8-10 +14 (8-10 +2+2+2+2+2+2+2)
Week 13-14: 80-85%, 6-8 +4, reduce load by 10-20% and continue 5-10 +6 (6-8 +2+2 # 5-10 +3+3)

This is just an example, it will obviously depend on how fast you increase the weights, and how quickly your strength increases. And remember to deload at some point, maybe with regular sets and longer rest periods.

Recommended volume is 20-30 total reps for a muscle group, up to 40-50 total reps when overlapping or prioritizing, 2-3 times a week. The simple version has a more or less static approach of 25-30 total reps (activation + Myo-reps series) so e.g. 15 +10 or 10 +15, or with heavier loads 8 +5 and a lighter dropset 10 +5. In the beginning of the training phase it's a good idea to use a full body routine 3-4 times a week, until you get to a little heavier loads and about 12-15 rep range in the activation set, when you might want to switch to a 2-split routine with about 4 weekly workouts.

I suppose its easy to implement Myo with HSt, right?

For example:
15 ths: 4+ 4+ 4+ 4
10 ths: 3+3+3+2+2+2
5 ths: +3+3

I suppose its easy to implement Myo with HSt, right?

For example:
15 ths: 4+ 4+ 4+ 4
10 ths: 3+3+3+2+2+2
5 ths: +3+3
You can do it.
But in original recomendation Blade specifically mention that the first set have to be close to failure.
When you incorporate myo-reps with HST and use the same weight progression you not coming close to failure at least 3-4 workouts from 6 within minicycle
I'm not sure how effective will be use of myo-reps in that case.
May be will be smart to use myo-reps only in second week of each microcycle, when you prety close to failure
In first week - 2-3 straight sets, in second - only one (myo-reps)

Last edited:
I suppose that one set is enought with Myo, right?
For the beginning or when dieting it's enought
More advanced concept of myoreps includes one low rep(8-10) set (compounded exercise) followed by one high rep(12-15) set (compounded or isolation)

For the beginning or when dieting it's enought
More advanced concept of myoreps includes one low rep(8-10) set (compounded exercise) followed by one high rep(12-15) set (compounded or isolation)

Sorry, I dont understan you, what do you mean?

I mean that if you can start using myo-reps from using one exercise per muscle group one set
In more advanced mode you use two exercises
for example for chest you may do one set bench press with 8-10 reps in activation set
and one set flys with 12-15 reps in activation set

I mean that if you can start using myo-reps from using one exercise per muscle group one set
In more advanced mode you use two exercises
for example for chest you may do one set bench press with 8-10 reps in activation set
and one set flys with 12-15 reps in activation set

Okay, I got it;-)

From Bodyguardhttp://thinkmuscle.com/forum/../showthr...illips-20-reps

You are talking about doing 3 sets. Do you mean 3 sets per one exercise? Because i cant do even a second set. Please put your message on the board.
Thank u
Ron from Holland

Mx6zoomz
Yes 3 sets of 25reps for 5 exercises;about 50min. Totally different feeling at end compared to my heavy lifting days. I am not use to training to failure. I have been corresponding with Dr Stuart Philips and he wants me to let him know my results by December; he has been training for 20+ years and does 2 sets to failure and the 1 regular 5-6 rep heavy for strength. I know what you mean about the 2nd set, depends on your rest interval; right now 2min works. Right now as I am getting use to the machines and proper weights because I want the occlusion effect as close as possible, i need to do some myo reps end of 3rd set. Anyways I will keep this program and when the failure goes higher than 25 will raise the weight.

mx6zoomz-May I suggest to produce greater occlusion, try to perform your exercises in the range of motion that maintains tension. Avoid lockout positions in exercises like the bench press and squat. Get the feel for the range of motion that maintains the tension and work it.

mx6zoomz-May I suggest to produce greater occlusion, try to perform your exercises in the range of motion that maintains tension. Avoid lockout positions in exercises like the bench press and squat. Get the feel for the range of motion that maintains the tension and work it.

Totally agree; been doing for 3 months now and keeping size and seems more definition but my diet is always being tweaked. No way could I do 3 sets per exercise, 2 max of 25reps each with 3' break. Usually do 4-5 exercises and use up about 45 minutes. Key for these is averaging 45 secs per set, which works out to 25reps with standard cadence.

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean with great occlusion?

I do myo reps on chin (with rings) and dips. Are these exercises also without lockout positions?

Back