substitute for rice/tuna/chicken?

namemattersnot

re,

i am trying to bring some variety to my daily diet. currently I am basic my diet on HST's eat-for-size article.

would anyone suggest against doing the following:

1) replacing rice with potato? btw, when the article says "1 cup" - does that mean 1 cooked cup of rice or uncooked. if the latter, that's A LOT OF rice for just one meal :) please clarify

2) replacing tuna with sardines. 1 can of sardines has 2.5g of saturated fat, 5g of monosaturateddddddm 110mg of cholesterol and 20g of protein. that's 92g can. good deal? or tuna is still a better choice?

3) replacing chicken breast with extra lean gound beef?

thanks in advance for your answers. i am basically eating to gain weight and doing HST to gain mass. 2500 calories at the moment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (namemattersnot @ Dec. 05 2004,3:28)]re,
i am trying to bring some variety to my daily diet. currently I am basic my diet on HST's eat-for-size article.
would anyone suggest against doing the following:
1) replacing rice with potato? btw, when the article says "1 cup" - does that mean 1 cooked cup of rice or uncooked. if the latter, that's A LOT OF rice for just one meal :) please clarify
2) replacing tuna with sardines. 1 can of sardines has 2.5g of saturated fat, 5g of monosaturateddddddm 110mg of cholesterol and 20g of protein. that's 92g can. good deal? or tuna is still a better choice?
3) replacing chicken breast with extra lean gound beef?
thanks in advance for your answers. i am basically eating to gain weight and doing HST to gain mass. 2500 calories at the moment.
1. Have a sweet potato, not a white potato. A sweet potato has a lot lower GI than a white potato. Also, oats and pearled barley are great complex carbs.

2. Tuna has les fat. Sardines also have a ton of salt. IMO tuna is a better choice. If you get sick of it have some canned chicken.

3. You can have extra lean ground beef instead of chicken but why not have both. It is good to have a varitey of protein sources. If you prefer red meat try buffalo...it's leaner than beef and tastes the same.

You are probably gonna have to eat a lot more then 2500cals to gain mass. What is your height, weight, and bf%? I good rule of thumb for bulking is bodyweight X 18-20 for your daily cals.

Hope this helps :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RipStone @ Dec. 05 2004,9:53)]1. Have a sweet potato, not a white potato. A sweet potato has a lot lower GI than a white potato. Also, oats and pearled barley are great complex carbs.
2. Tuna has les fat. Sardines also have a ton of salt. IMO tuna is a better choice. If you get sick of it have some canned chicken.
3. You can have extra lean ground beef instead of chicken but why not have both. It is good to have a varitey of protein sources. If you prefer red meat try buffalo...it's leaner than beef and tastes the same.
You are probably gonna have to eat a lot more then 2500cals to gain mass. What is your height, weight, and bf%? I good rule of thumb for bulking is bodyweight X 18-20 for your daily cals.
Hope this helps :)
1. I eat oat meal/etc. as per the sample diet, however, I need something to go with my meat :) Barley doesn't taste as good as sweet potato.

2. I thought the whole purpose of eating tuna is the omega-3 and other nutrients that one gets from fish. If it's all about protein, then I'd rather eat fresh chicken than canned chicken/tuna in that case

3. I live in Canada and there's no buffalo in your regular grocery store. I will alternate between chicken/red meat.

i'm about 165 pounds/6"1 or "2. that's about 3,200 calories that I need (those BMR formulas and whatnot tell me that I need 2,000 calories to maintain weight so I figured 2,500 to gain)?

I have a huge problem with eating so many eggs as described in the diet. What can I replace them with?!

Thanks for your answer!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (namemattersnot @ Dec. 06 2004,8:45)]I have a huge problem with eating so many eggs as described in the diet. What can I replace them with?!
Thanks for your answer!
You can try cottage cheese. I mix small curd cottage cheese (1/2 cup) with one serving of low-carb yogurt (~17 g carbs). It gives you about 25 grams of good protein and 25 grams of carbs.

You can also eat fewer eggs and add drink a protein drink. That's what protein "supplements" are for. :)

Other than that, meat is your only option.

I might be wrong on this but canned tuna has little to no fat. The little fat that is in it are omega-3's which are great. Try fresh tuna or salmon if you want more omega-3's.

Also, if you are working out then you need a lot more calories then a sedentary person. You need even MORE calories if you are lifting and wanna bulk. I am not what calculator told you 2,000 for matience but that sounds really low to me. I am 5'8" and 150lbs and eating about 2,800 cals a day and barely puting on .5lb per week. So I think you can eat a lot more.

Eat up :)

i've always wanted to add tinned tuna to my diet. however, i'm really concerned about the mercury it contains...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Jan. 24 2005,9:19)]Do a search on the mercury issue. One can a day isn't going to hurt you.
depends. If it's chunk light, it PROBABLY won't. If it's albacore, you could run into problems. Look it up.

As far as omega 3's in tuna, sorry, but no. That's only in fresh tuna. Not in canned tuna.

I'm big into turkey. I like to roast a turkey and after my family is done I make a soup out of it with brown rice and pearl barley. Very high in complex carbs and protein with little fat.

I would stay away from tuna also. From what I read the mercury is a problem even with a can a day. If fish is eaten it should be smaller fish, not big predators such as tuna.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (namemattersnot @ Dec. 06 2004,10:45)]I have a huge problem with eating so many eggs as described in the diet. What can I replace them with?!
Thanks for your answer!
Why?

If it's the fat, use egg whites or egg beaters instead - all the protein w/o the fat & cholesterol.

IMHO, egg whites are the perfect protein. You can even buy a carton of pasturized whites - so you can drink it straight from the carton or use it instead of milk in your protein shake.

Back