Suggested Routines

Sonny

Ok Guys
Here is a list of the routines I have been suggested
to use so far.
Routine 1 was suggested to my by Brian Haycock .
Keep in mind when you go over these that they are taking into consideration my knee problem .
I should have mentioned my left shoulder problem as well , but didn’t.
I hope this helps some of you guys out. It has for me.
I’m kind of leaning towards “Routine 2”, but I do like Brian suggestion ( 1) because it hits more muscles. I would just have to find my 15's,10's and 5's for the new exercises.
Most of these are on a 15,10 & 5 per cycle/set .
Routine 1
Monday:
Leg Ext
Leg Curl
Bent row (wide)
Incline Press
Lateral raise
EZ curls
EZ tri extension
Full sit ups
Wednesday:
Step ups (1 leg at a time onto bench holding dumbbell)
1 Arm Row
Flat Bench
1 Arm Rear delt raise (lying on your side on a bench)
DB shoulder press (A.K.A. Arnold press)
Incline DB curls
1Arm tri extension (overhead)
Full sit ups
Friday:
Leg Ext
Leg Curl
Bent row (narrow underhand)
Dips between bench and chair
Lateral raise
EZ curls
EZ tri extension
Full sit ups
[NOTES:] For the first two weeks use you 20RM on each movement for 15 controlled reps (slow eccentrics), 1 set each exercise. For the next two weeks use your 15-12RM for 10 controlled reps (slow eccentrics), 2 sets each exercise. For the final two weeks use your 8RM for 5-8 controlled reps (slow eccentric), 3 sets each exercise.
After that 6-week cycle, take 2 weeks off (strategic deconditioning). Then repeat.
----------------------------------------
Routine 2
1 set during the 15s, 2 set during the 10s and 3 sets for the 5s.
Squats
Leg curls
Incline Bench
Bent over Rows
reverse DB flies (for rear delts)
Shrugs
BB Curls
French Press
Military Press
Calf exercise
Crunches ++
---------------------------------------------
Routine 3
Squats x1
Stiff legged dead lifts x2
Calf raises x2
Slightly incline Bench x2
Bent over Rows x2
Military Press x2
Shrugs x2
BB Curl x1 or Hammer Curl (alternate between the 2)
French Press x1
Crunches
---------------------------------------------------------
Routine 4
Squats x1
Sldl x2
Calf raises x2
Benchpress x2
Rows x2
Military press x2
Shrugs x1
Bb curl x1
Frenchpress x1
crunches
9 exercises - 10 exercises is the upper limit I think
Total volume of 14 sets (increase or decrease how you feel…if you get closer to your rm you probably can just handle one set)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Routine 5
Upper/lower body split, 6times a week, workout max. 30 minutes
Sets compounds isolation
15s 2 sets 1 set
10s 3 sets 2 sets
5s 3-4 sets 2 sets
Alternate between exercises
Workout: Lower Body
Workout A:
Squats
Leg curls
Calf raise
Shrugs
Abs
Workout B:
Leg press
Stiff legged dead lifts
Calf raise
Shrugs
Abs
Workout upper body
Workout A:
Bench press
Chins (or pull downs)
Military press
Preacher curls
Triceps extension
Workout B:
Dips
Bent over rows (supported)
Upright rows
Preacher curls
Triceps extension
------------------
Routine 6
Squats 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Leg Extensions 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Leg Curls 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Dumbbell Pullovers 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Seated Rows 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Bench Press 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Barbell Bicep Curls 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Tricep Extensions 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Weighted Pullups 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Weighted Dips 1 X 8 - 10 reps
Standing Calf Raises 1 X 8 - 12 reps
Abs - 1 X 10 - 15 reps
-----------------------------------------------------------
My old routine
MONDAYS & THURSDAYS
CHEST
FLAT BENCH PRESS (BB) 3X8
INCLINE BENCH PRESS (DB) 3X8
SHOULDERS
BEHIND NECK PRESS (EZ) 3X8 or MILITARY PRESS (EZ) 3X8
SIDE LATERAL RAISES (DB)3X8
TRICEPS
FRENCH CURLS (HB)3X8
KICK BACKS (BB) 3X8
ADS
CRUNCHES
LEG RAISES
TUESDAYS & FRIDAYS
LATS
BENT OVER ROWS (BB) 3x8
BENT OVERS ROWS(DB) 3X8
TRAPS
UPWARD ROWS (BB) 3X8
SRUGS
ARMS
BARBELL CURLS(EZ) 3X8
CON CURLS (DB) 3X8
REVERSE CURLS(BB)
LEGS
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions

I did !
What good would it do me now?
How does your reply have anything to do with my question?
I've been reading this web page for over a week and have spent
many hours of researching HST principals trying to come to a conclusion.
And would like to know what everyone else on HST is doing.
Thanks for your reply anyways.
I just don’t want to be wasting my time at another “DEAD END” routine.
See Ya Later

Just my two cents here, if you got a routine by Bryan, then why even ask. Try it and if it does "a body good" then stick with it. If not then try something different.

Good Luck

Well here is your change.
I've learned a long time ago that there is more that one correct answer for most subjects.(Skin the cat)
In addition, the more info/suggestions I get the better off I am.
Moreover, only being around this HST subject for only a little more that a week I not quite sure that I accept Brian as the ultimate authority as of yet.
Even though his suggestions are good ones.
So There!
When two minds are together they create an all
more powerful 3rd.
I will do an 8 week cycle to test the HST concept and will decide after that .
It makes 100% good logic or I would not have wasted everyone time with all these questions.
By the way I've seen many of your post and I been wondering about your results.
You long have you been training
How old are you
(It didn’t matter when I was in my youth I could just look at a dumbbell and add an inch to my bi’s ,but after 50 it’s a whole different world )
Moreover, do you have a before and after measurements?
Thanks for all your help

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Aug. 20 2004,6:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...the more info/suggestions I get the better off I am.

That is debatable. You only need the correct info/suggestions. All the rest simply ad confusion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]... I not quite sure that I accept Brian as the ultimate authority as of yet.

I know Brian personally and can vouch for his authority on the subject of HST. No worries. ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Aug. 20 2004,7:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Moreover, only being around this HST subject for only a little more that a week I not quite sure that I accept Brian as the ultimate authority as of yet.
Let me suggest this, as far as Bryan's reputation, here is what I recommend. Do a search on Bryan Haycock, in google or whichever search engine. Believe me you will see many results, then go look at the results. You will see he is one of the most recognized in the fitness industry and has written a ton of articles and is very well respected amongst his peers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]By the way I've seen many of your post and I been wondering about your results.
How old are you
As far as me, I have posted pics and results on this forum. I am 40 years old in two weeks. I am an ex lard @ss. I have been working out (started in high school and throughout my stint in Uncle Sam's Canoe CLub but quit and concentrated on my career more than my health) religously since last May.

I went from 226 Lbs (obese not muscle) down to 149, way too skinny, in about a year and a half. Since leaving HIT and starting HST I have completed three cycles and gained 11lbs, with only a 1% or so increase in BF. I have lo androgen levels so I do take Androgel, started about a month ago, I take 8 fish oil tabs per day, 4 cla tabs, 1 multivitamin plus protein, some flax oil and FOOD. I eat at maintenance or only slightly above or I would have gained more size using HST. But I am paranoid about fat. I am an anal retentive a-hole (I carry my membership card with pride
laugh.gif
) who counts every calorie and macronutrient I put in my mouth, I have eaten pretty much the same foods for almost the last 2 years, TUNA, COTTAGE CHEESE, STEAK, SALAD, BROCCOLI, CARROTS, CAULIFLOWER, ORGANIC CEREAL, MILK, NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER, YAMS, FRUIT and a VARIOUS ASSORTMENT OF SKINLESS TURKEY, CHICKEN AND OTHER FISH. Would you say I am obsessive compulsive, my wife sure thinks so
laugh.gif

I hope that answers your questions, but if you have more ask away.

Good Luck on the program.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Aug. 20 2004,1:56)]Well here is your change.
I've learned a long time ago that there is more that one correct answer for most subjects.(Skin the cat)
In addition, the more info/suggestions I get the better off I am.
Moreover, only being around this HST subject for only a little more that a week I not quite sure that I accept Brian as the ultimate authority as of yet.
Even though his suggestions are good ones.
So There!
When two minds are together they create an all
more powerful 3rd.
I will do an 8 week cycle to test the HST concept and will decide after that .
It makes 100% good logic or I would not have wasted everyone time with all these questions.
By the way I've seen many of your post and I been wondering about your results.
How old are you
(It didn’t matter when I was in my youth I could just look at a dumbbell and add an inch to my bi’s ,but after 50 it’s a whole different world )
Thanks for all your help
I understand what you are saying but you have to consider a couple of things:

a) Bryan is the guy that came up with this "HST subject".

b) This is Bryan's forum which is targeted mainly at said "HST subject".

It is very unlikely you will find opinions that vary from his about training on his own board.

I don't rememer Bryans orginal reply but I thought you had you doing higher reps for your dodgy joints??

For the record I have been training for 18 years and HST is one of the best training programs I have ever used.

I don't think people appreciated how good it is unless they have many years of serious training under their belt.

Zaf

Howdy again
I want to start off by thanking you for your reply .
A little about me .
I started working out with the steel when I was about 15 or so.
It all started with the back cover of a Superman comic book.
It said “ Do you want sand kicked in your eyes like the guy in the picture?”
It was some twerp on the receiving end and a big guy doing the kicking.
My buddies and myself decide right then that NO ONE was ever gonna kick sand in our eyes.
As a results we started lifting .
We discovered a local Meat House aka Gym called Fudge’s(Tampa,Florida)and started hanging around . We didn’t have any money for a membership, but did meet the with some of the bodybuilders who told use what we needed to do.
One guy in particular, who we all inspired to become, was Dave Draper.
I remember looking over into Dave’s yard one Saturday morning as a kid and watching him hang clothes on the Clothes Line. What was so peculiar was the fact that he was wearing clothespin apron in short and sandals. We were all amazed that a Big guy like that would stoop do women’s work .
That’s my meager beginnings. I have worked out more “ON” than than “OFF” for the past 35 years. Only till now at 51 yo have I ever hit a sticking point that I’m into right now. Getting older is hell.
In my uncertain knowledge of progressive resistance I do understand the HST Principals and as of this Monday will start my first cycle.
After doing a split routine for 30 years it doesn’t seem like enough.
Then again I maybe doing to much at this age which would be answer for all my Joint pain and sticking point.
Thanks Again
Sonny

Sonny

I have been working out for over 45 years now and am 59 years old. One of my best friends is Mike Katz. I stagnated many years ago and could not grow anymore no matter what I did. I stumbled on to HST 2 years ago and am now doing my 14th cycle. The gains have been great. Not so much in higher weight (maybe 10 pounds) but more refined and defined musculature which makes me look much bigger. My bodyfat has also dropped considerably. With each cycle I learn more about what my body needs and have improved my workouts. I really did not start to see the results until after I completed about 3 cycles. I stuck with it because I had nothing to lose. I wasn't doing any good with the "traditional" methods. I have now morphed into a 6 day per week workout of 10 exercises per day, one set of each with rep ranges of 15, 10 and 5. For my stage in bodybuilding and in lif's timeline, it appears that frequency is today's key to my continued gains.

All I can say is give it a fair try. If you don't like it, change to something else. Any of the routines you listed would be OK. However, I think you might want to revisit the FAQ on progressive loading. I have not heard Bryan make those statements you attribute to him. I'm sure he did but I just don't recall them. By the way, do NOT believe a word he says. He is known as a world class prevaricator.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back