Supplements

OneMoreRep

Hey guys!

i was just wondering what everyone uses in terms of vitamins minerals and herbs etc.

Next time i go to the vitamin section i might have to pick up a few!! (as i've never bought or used any)

do you think there is something lacking in your diet? It's unlikely that anything you pick up is going to have a perceptible effect on anything. No need to get stuff just for the sake of getting something.

well, the thing is i've never takin vitamins really.. except for flintstones when i was little...

i suspect i should be taking something.

i notice when i take B-vitamins i sleep better.

i was wondering about fatty acids and oils etc, as well. i don't know what to take.

I already supplement whey, and creatine.

Should i be taking something else? perhaps some fish oil and a multivitamin? or anything else?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneMoreRep @ July 08 2005,10:36)]well, the thing is i've never takin vitamins really.. except for flintstones when i was little...
jeez and you stopped? :D

a generic multivitamin is probably fine, along with some fish oil. Most recommendations are for about 2g of EPA and DHA, which would come with 6 fish oil capsules a day.

Yeah, any old multivitamin will probably work. I use One-A-Days or One Sources or something like that. Just be sure to get male vitamins, because they don't contain iron. You probably don't need the extra iron.

I picked up some Centrum Forte, and Fish oils.

Couple Questions about the fish oil... Now it's reccomnded to take 6 grams of EPA and DHA... (i might be confused)

HOWEVER, each capsule contains 1000 mg of FISH OIL, 180 of which is EPA and 120 of which is DHA.

so,

FISH OIL - 1000 mg

EPA - 180 mg
DHA - 120 mg

do i still take 6 capsules daily?? or do i have to take more ??

I use:

Twin Labs Daily Two Caps vitamin and mineral supplement.

HSN Micronized Creatine, 3.5-5.0 grams.

2000 mg. Vitamin C

1/2 Oz. Udo's Blend Oil

1000 mg. Calcium

7.5 grams AndroGel which keeps my T levels at 700 ng/dl.

Enzymatic Therapy Fish Oil pills (no burping or aftertaste)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 10 2005,11:39)]I use:
Twin Labs Daily Two Caps vitamin and mineral supplement.
HSN Micronized Creatine, 3.5-5.0 grams.
2000 mg. Vitamin C
1/2 Oz. Udo's Blend Oil
1000 mg. Calcium
7.5 grams AndroGel which keeps my T levels at 700 ng/dl.
Enzymatic Therapy Fish Oil pills (no burping or aftertaste)
O&G, If you don't mind me asking... why do you take so much vitamin C? I take 500 mg a day, and I only do that because my immune system isn't up to par.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneMoreRep @ July 09 2005,6:30)]I picked up some Centrum Forte, and Fish oils.
Couple Questions about the fish oil... Now it's reccomnded to take 6 grams of EPA and DHA... (i might be confused)
HOWEVER, each capsule contains  1000 mg of FISH OIL, 180 of which is EPA and 120 of which is DHA.
so,
FISH OIL - 1000 mg
EPA - 180 mg
DHA - 120 mg
do i still take 6 capsules daily?? or do i have to take more ??
6 fish oil capsules will give you 2g of EPA/DHA a day.  Those numbers (180/120) are the norm.  Since each gram of fish oil only has 300mg of EPA/DHA, you need 6 capsules to get the ~2 g of EPA and DHA. Some people recommend more, but I think 2g is the typical amount for most people.

Colby, I take extra C because it helps muscles to recover from work. It allows me to maximize frequency.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 12 2005,9:29)]Colby, I take extra C because it helps muscles to recover from work. It allows me to maximize frequency.
O & G i agree that it helps, BUT, i recall bryan saying that anti-oxidants reduced the hypetrophic signal, therefore wouldn't too much vit. c dampen ur gains?

From what I have seen increased Vitamin C intake doesn't help to attenuate any of the markers of muscle damage or improve recovery, following both highly metabolic taxing exercise or low metabolic taxing exercise. About the only thing reported is a marginal decrease in Cortisol level (in marathon runners) and IL-6. Subsequent reports even disputed these claims. Scientifically, there doesn't seem to be much merit for increased ingestion above the amounts you get from foods. Anecdotally, if it makes you feel good, do it.
thumbs-up.gif

Perhaps it is a placebo effect but I always feel better when I take extra Vitamin C. I seem to recover faster and have more of a "spring" in my step. If it is just a placebo effect, I am just as happy with that. :D After all, it is merely a question of deception, errrr make that perception.
blush.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 12 2005,12:12)]Perhaps it is a placebo effect but I always feel better when I take extra Vitamin C.  I seem to recover faster and have more of a "spring" in my step.
Is it the vitamin C or the 700ng reading of your test, that'll put in a spring in your step
laugh.gif

"Normal" at the lab I use is considered to be 241 ng/dl to 827 ng/dl. However, I don't think you will build much muscle at levels below 350 ng/dl. 500-600+ ng/dl is a good range to be to add LBM.

It's pretty broad, the low normal is @ 300, while the high normal is @1000.

According to most literature the reference range for serum testosterone is 350-1030 with a mean of 627 over ages 20-50; the reference range for free testosterone is 5.2-28; and the reference ratio is 1.5-3.2.

Thanks Dan I will soon be getting my blood test and those parameters will be looked at closely. I assume I will just have to ask them to do an extra blood test for my free testosterone; usually I just had the total done. Thanks again for the free test numbers.

some quick questions about fish oil...

1) Does it taste bad - what do I put it on, or is it capsules or something?

2) How many calories is it?

3) How much does it cost?

4) Should I take it?

As you can see I know next to nothing about the stuff except that it provides EFA's.
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

-Colby

Back