Tangodown's 2015 Log

Go for it, very easy program to follow. Not enough auto regulation, but pretty good none-the-less.

Yeah I appreciate your help, I just dont have the emperical background to.program.from.it without you laying volume/load out for.me.

No dramas, Candito's is one of the best cookie-cutter programs there is. Easy to manage, simple to follow, gets results for a lot of people.

That's better than 90% of stuff out there can say ...

Day 2 should have the same exercises, but they should be addressing either explosive strength, weaknesses in the lift or lagging body parts.

Roughly speaking:

Day 1 - heavy - highest load

Day 2 - light - lowest load, moderate volume at that lower load

Day 3 - medium - most volume

Day 4 - active recovery/speed/active recovery

I also think HBBS are not very good at advancing your HBBS or LBS. You will detrain that squat reflex, IMO.

I'll take one more crack at it.

Day 1 (HEAVY):
primary DL singles/doubles to 6-8 reps @ 90%, doubles/triples to 6-9 reps @ 85% (12 to 17 reps total)
paused bench singles/doubles to 6-8 reps @ 90%, doubles/triples to 6-9 reps @ 5RM (12 to 17 reps total)
primary squat singles/doubles to 6-8 reps, doubles/triples to 6-9 reps @ 5RM (12 to 17 reps total)
machine row cluster to 12-15 reps @ 90%

Day 2 (LIGHT, addressing weaknesses):
deficits (off floor strength): 3x8 @ 70% (24 reps)
spoto press (off chest strength/stability): 3x8 @ 70% (24 reps)
front/paused HBBS squat (quads, stability): 2x8 @ 70% (16 reps)
machine rows: 3x8 @ 70% (24 reps)

Day 3 (MODERATE, most volume):
primary DL doubles/triples to 12-15 reps @ 85%, 1x5 @ 80%, 1x5 @ 75% (22 to 25 reps total)
paused bench triples/quads to 12-15 reps @ 85%, 2x5 @ 80% (22 to 25 reps total)
primary squat triples/quads to 12-15 reps @ 85%, 2x5 @ 80% (22 to 25 reps total)
weighted pullups 4x4 @ 85%, BW to RPE 9.5

Day 4 (don't know how to program rep/scheme and load for active recovery):
front squat, OHP, shrugs, weighted pullups, t&g bench ??? load

Seems about right to me.

Day 4 I would do some front squats, CG bench/OHP, maybe some face-pulls, something for abs/core strength (this is actually a weakness of mine at the moment) and that's probably enough right there. No need to go heavy or else you blow the point of day 1.

You think there's enough deficit work in the above program?

anyway...

Day 4 (ACTIVE RECOVERY/SPEED):
front/paused HBBS 3x5 @ 80%
cg bench 3x5 @ 80%
weighted pullups 3x5 @ 80%
rear delt row 3x8 @ ~12RM
ab wheel??? (been thinking of getting one)

Nothing too heavy there. I'd say that's maybe RPE 7.5-8ish across the board, right?

Progression on main lifts will be dependent on Day 1 and Day 3. If, for example, doubles/triples is goal, I am able to cluster with all or almost all triples so I move up the load for that movement on every day it is programmed. Day 4 will progress simply based on feel I suppose. DB chest flies will be also thrown in on day 2 and 4. Maybe 2x8 @ 12RM.

Will run in 6-8 week cycles upping load when I can, deload, test, rinse and repeat.

Yeh RPE 7-8 is definitely about right. You're just adding in some volume to address those weak spots.

Gonna make those 80%, 75% work down sets I have programmed after the 85% sumo deads on moderate day deficits deadlifts instead of sumos so I can get some heavier deficits in if you think that isn't too draining.

5'8", ~168lb (- 2lb)

Sumo Deadlift (5 minutes b/w):
385lb x 3, x 2, x 2, 350lb x 2

lol felt like RPE 10 every cluster.

t&g Bench (3 minutes b/w):
210lb x 3, x 2, x 2, x 2

Felt pretty good. I can't be as explosive as I'd like due to the slipperiness of the bench but I definitely maintained if not increased strength here. I might buy some bands to wrap around the bench so I won't slip as much.

switched back to low bar squat, brought bar placement down a little, playing around with form. Gonna start back at maybe 250 and 255lb and work back to where I was or more hopefully.

Weighted Pullups (3 minutes b/w):
Belt + 60lb x 4, x 3, x 2, BW x 10

Stationary Bike: 15 minutes @ 8-10 resistance, ~150 calories burned

5'8", ~168lb

Low Bar Squat (5 minutes b/w):

255lb x 3, x 3, x 3

Bench (3 minutes b/w):
210lb x 3, then brought out my grip significantly and did 3x2.

Put a mat on the bench and it made a world of difference slip wise. Grip out all the way next to the rings and I was surprised I felt nearly as strong. I'm gonna see where this goes. Definitely gonna need a lift off each time.

Deficit Deadlift (about 2"):
325lb x 5 (PR)

Machine Rows:
205lb x 4, x 3, x 3

Elliptical: 10 minutes mostly at 100% resistance. 190 calories burned.

5'8", 168"

Sumo Deadlift (5 minutes b/w):

385lb x 2, x 2, x 2, x 2

Bench (3 minutes b/w):

210lb x 3, x 2, x 2, x 2

Still getting used to the much wider grip.

Squat (5 minutes b/w):
255lb x 2, x 2, x 2, 225lb x 3

Weighted Pullups (3 minutes b/w):
Belt + 60lb x 2, x 3, x 3

Elliptical:
15 minutes from 50-100% resistance, ~200 calories burned

NOTE: Added in RPE estimates. Range showcases how things were on individual sets/clusters as so higher rep clusters/sets probably were at the top-end of the RPE range listed.

5'8", 166lb (-2lb)

I was a little surprised at this. I was about to restrict calories even more but I'll trust the gym scale for now. I'll see how things look next Friday.

Squat (5 minutes b/w):
260lb x 3, x 2, x 2, x 2, RPE 9-9.5

Getting used to low bar again. I had 3x3 this high bar and 3x5 this low bar a few weeks ago. Albeit, I think I wasn't good morning the weight as much this time around. Sitting back more. So that's promising, and I'll stick with this load as long as I need to.

Bench (RECODING A SIGNIFICANTLY WIDER GRIP WIDTH, 3 minutes b/w):
190lb x 5, x 3, x 3, RPE 7.5-8.5

Since nobody was around to unrack the weight I just went down to 190lb. Not particularly happy on my heavy bench sessions being dependent on if someone capable is in the weight room.

Deficit Deadlift (~2" deficit, 5 minutes b/w):
335lb x 3, x 2, 315lb x 1, RPE 9.5-10

I'd probably have 5 reps if done fresh, but boy was this hard. I'll repeat this in two sessions. I'm really liking these deficits though. Scrape the hell out of my shins and grinded out the reps.

Machine Rows (1.5 minutes b/w):
205lb x 4, x 3, x 3, RPE 9

Elliptical: 15 minutes @ 75% resistance, ~265 calories burned

Last edited:
@Jester, I did dips after I benched today and worked up to 80lb for a single. I have a video of 60lb x 2 which I'll try to upload. The dip station is fairly narrow, though having a slight diagonal bar setup. My question is, even if I dip in a way that emphasizes triceps, you think it's still a good primary exercise for chest as well? I was thinking of making spoto press an accessory (paused bench, inch off chest) and weighted dip a primary movement in place of bench sincd I've had so much trouble with it, but I'd like your input. Bulk and that dup.program we designed starts in about a month.

Couple of thoughts; I probably wouldn't try for singles and doubles etc. re: dips. If something does go wrong, the potential for higher degree of problems is there.

Moving on - dips are awesome. I will always think they're superior to bench for chest development. They do almost nothing for delts, and are amazing for triceps.

I'm personally doing just weighted dips and occasionally some OHP/BTN at the moment. I don't log it on here but do on my spreadsheet. I like to keep reps in the 5-8RM range, just for safety reasons.

1) Seeing as you wouldn't recommend doubles/singles with dips, going back and reviewing the 4 day DUP thing we put together, how would you implement dips as the primary movement on heavy and moderate day, also considering that weighted dip load is going to be affected by both load on my belt and incremental increases to body weight due to bulk? The program is here.

2) Are they still a superior chest developer even if done fairly narrowly and without a ton of lean? Video almost done uploading.

As above, I've found 5-8RM range to be an effective developer of hypertrophy. If you wanted a better exercise than bench press for chest, and being able to lift in the 1-3RM range was a requirement, then decline bench is obviously the one is go with.

In terms of carryover from dips to bench;

- Hypertrophy obviously has the greatest potential for carryover. Greg Nuckols wrote a very good article about this recently. Neural gains really only count for so much when you aren't a rank beginner.

- Powerlifting benching is highly technical (and not a great exercise in general, for my $$). Lower back, scapula&lats, leg drive etc. It's more technique dependent than both squat and deadlift. About 1/20th as useful as well. But it is what it is. Short story means there's obviously going to be minimal technique crossover here. It's not like doing block pulls instead of deads or front squats instead of HBBS.

No matter what kind of dip you're doing, you cannot actually do that movement without using your pectorals. The only wholesale function of the triceps is to extend the arm. If your arm moves in relation to the shoulder at all, the pecs are involved (basically).

Back