The Road to 10%

<div>
(colby2152 @ Mar. 20 2009,9:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Additions for Macro WO

Reverse Fly
Reverse Curl Cuban Press

It may be a bit too much shoulder work with the Arnolds, Reverse Flys and RCCPs on my macro-WO, so the Reverse Fly is subject to change.</div>
Yup, that sounds like a lot of work for some very little muscles. On the other hand, you might develop some very healthy rotator cuffs, if you go slowly and carefully.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Mar. 21 2009,9:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ Mar. 20 2009,9:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Additions for Macro WO

Reverse Fly
Reverse Curl Cuban Press

It may be a bit too much shoulder work with the Arnolds, Reverse Flys and RCCPs on my macro-WO, so the Reverse Fly is subject to change.</div>
Yup, that sounds like a lot of work for some very little muscles. On the other hand, you might develop some very healthy rotator cuffs, if you go slowly and carefully.</div>
I did my first macro-WO last night, and I ditched the Arnold Presses. The RCCPs and Reverse Flys were enough for my shoulders, let alone the chest (Fly and Press) work that I did. Even the rows burn my shoulders!

I came to a conclusion about my knees the other day. I think my injury last summer was due to incorrect stance. I would often cheat and lean the weight towards my toes rather than my heels. This can cause a squat, lunge, deadlift, golf swing and anything else off.

1.5 months later...

The frequency of my last cycle stayed light until April 22nd, which was the last day I lifted. I have taken time off since then to focus 100% on my studies. My exam is tomorrow (I usually mentally relax myself the day before, hence my visit here), and I will be back to happy lifting on Sunday (attending the double-header between the Nats and Phils on Saturday). I am not going to re-continue my 20th HST cycle. It was merely a half-cycle, so I think it would be inappropriate to call the next one my lucky 21st.

I want more intense workouts that have excellent warmups with plenty of cardio. I workout at home, so I am thinking the basis will be like the following.

Outside Warmup (Weather Permitting)
Jump Ropes
0.4 mi, down to river
0.25 mi, lap in park

Aerobic Warmup
RCCP
Reverse Fly
Seated Row

HST WO
Lying Incline Row (DB)
Fly (DB)
Bench Press (DB)

Post-WO Adjustments
Stretch out the muscles in a variety of ways, maybe some Pilates here
Random exercises with very light DBs

My focus will be on maximum intensity and a high energy expenditure. I also want to focus on natural movements such as the combined training of walking, running, jumping, balancing, moving on all fours, climbing, lifting, carrying, throwing, catching, swimming and defending. The movements in bold are the ones that I currently train. The ones in italics are movements that I sometimes do, but either they are very specialized for a sport, or they are very relaxed (swimming). Who moves on all fours? I never climb, and I never involve myself in any type of fighting, sparring, karate, martial arts, neighborhood police, or criminal activity, so that takes out defending.

This was taken from one of my readings a month ago in Men's Health. More information can be found at MovNat.com. Now the site may seem kind of wacky to some of you gym rats, but the basics cannot be argued against. I will workout something that can be done in my urban jungle and in my apartment.
biggrin.gif

All the very best for your exam tomorrow Colby. Then I'm looking forward to reading that you've make some more progress towards your 10% bf goal.

Did you ever do any of the Crossfit WODs? A lot of the things you mention are incorporated in CF workouts. Even if you don't do the WOD it's worth trawling through the vids on the site for ideas and motivation.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

LOL, I looked at the videos library during some down time the day you posted it. There are many, many videos there! CrossFit definitely fits within the natural movements scheme, although I am still avoiding heavy squats, deads, and Olympic lifts. I will do those exercises with light weights just for the sake of the core work and stretch.

My 20.5th HST cycle picks up where HST 20 fell behind (just 15's and 10's), by going through one week of 15's, one week of 10's, and then into two weeks of 5's, and two weeks of 3's. I am doing three exercises for HST: Lying Inclined Row, Pec Fly, and Bench Press.

I am incorporating sports activities, running, walking, jump roping, pilates, and light DB work such as Reverse Fly, Farmer's Walk, RCCPs, Side Bends, Lateral Raises, and Russian Twists. All in all, a full routine with HST and all of that activity (2 hours) will hit all natural movements except for climbing, defending and crawling on all fours. I'll chalk up any trunk rotation (golf, twists, obliques, pilates) to defending. Climbing gets its similar repetitions in my row work, although a chin/pull-up/lat pulldown would suit much better.

There is no substitute for walking on all fours. A good army crawl with a lot of weight either on or behind me would be an excellent exercise.
laugh.gif

Two week report
Hitting some RM's in the 10 rep mesocycle, doing plenty of walking (about 15-20 miles this weekend), so the energy expenditure has increased. I am looking to buy some whey protein drinks, rather than powder, for the first time ever. I need the extra protein, and despite the extra cost, the stuff is healthier for you/me and it is easier to use.

Weight is down to 217, but recent waist and pelvis measurements show no change in body fat, although I have received plenty of compliments.
biggrin.gif

I am still around guys! My posting has surely been down this year as I have focused on other things on the internet. My lifting has not stopped, and I have been maintaining a 2-2.5x/week frequency. I am in the middle of my 3's, so my cycle should finish up next week. I have hit personal records on the 15's, 10's and 5's this cycle. My PR's for the 5's were a good 10-15 lbs higher than I have done before, and this is with extra focus on TUT! I think it must have something to do with my increased protein intake.
biggrin.gif

Good to hear you are making progress Colby. How are those measurements shaping up? Are you still cutting or is this a period of maintaining bw while attempting to increase strength - sort of a body recomp?

I just finished another exam, so I am back at it full time again. I want to continue to shed the fat and pack on the muscle that I may have lost. Where to start?
biggrin.gif

Hey Colby !
Have I heard right - you were on your 20th HST cycle ?
You must be the man in your avatar picture, then
smile.gif

I am in my first cycle, and I myself am too in the road to the leanness.

Good luck !

<div>
(Krieger @ Nov. 12 2009,3:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Colby !
Have I heard right  - you were on your 20th HST cycle ?
You must be the man in your avatar picture, then
smile.gif

I am in my first cycle, and I myself am too in the road to the leanness.

Good luck !</div>
I am far from that man - at least around the waist.  I am one of those guys that the trainers say, &quot;there's a great body to work with&quot;.  Yeah...  
rock.gif

blush.gif

Anyways, I ran Friday morning, nearly yakked already the streets (1.2 miles) thanks to my loss of endurance.  I choose to lift this morning.  It was the first time in almost five weeks that I touched weights.  This would unofficially be my 23rd cycle, but my 22nd cycle was a mess that never finished... eh, so let's call it the 23rd...

Day 1 - HST 20's - 11/16/2009
<span style='color:blue'>Lateral Raises (with a twist) - PR: 12.5 x 20
Curl - 25 x 14
Side Bend - 25 x 20
Fly - 60 x 20
Lying Incline Row - 60 x 17
Bench Press - 60 x 20</span>

As you can see, my muscles forgot how to lift.  They know they are stronger than this, but they start complaining that it has been too long.  Anyways, I could have done more on the Bench Press, but kept it really light for the first day.  Tomorrow morning, I'll hit all 20's, increase the Bench, and do some calisthenics.  Of all exercises, the lateral raises were a PR though!

I feel like I am about to yak again. I went for a mostly consistent run down to the river. I am making progress already on my endurance. I have been back for 14 minutes and my heart is still racing. I am playing it safe and not lifting this morning. It won't be too long until I am able to lift right after I run without feeling like I am about to have a heart attack.

Glad to see you are still on the long and winding road to 10%. All the best for your new cycle.

<div>
(Lol @ Nov. 19 2009,12:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Glad to see you are still on the long and winding road to 10%. All the best for your new cycle.</div>
Thanks lol, I have had many periods of stagnance, but I have never fell behind and put on weight, so like HST I am always progressing. I think I am going to do isolations on my running days and compounds on my lift-only days (now I have a cycle!)..

Day 2 - HST 20's - 11/19/2009
<span style='color:blue'>Lateral Raises (with a twist) - 12.5 x 20
Fly - 60 x 20 (2 sets)
Lying Incline Row - 60 x 20 (2 sets)
Bench Press - 85 x 20 (2 sets)</span>

I did iso's only on Day 3...

Day 4 - HST 20's - 11/24/2009
<span style='color:blue'>Lateral Raises (with a twist) - 12.5 x 20
Fly - PR: 65 x 20 (2 sets)
Lying Incline Row - PR: 65 x 20, 65 x 15
Bench Press - 90 x 20</span>, 90 x 10

Worked out over Thanksgiving weekend and now I am on to my 15's...

Day 6 - HST 15's - 12/3/2009
<span style='color:blue'>Lateral Raises (with a twist) - 15 x 15
Side Bends - 35 x 15
Fly - 75 x 15 (2 sets)
Lying Incline Row - 75 x 15 (2 sets)
Bench Press - 110 x 15 (2 sets)</span>

BTW, I am still keeping up with this, but I haven't been good at posting in the past year due to other non-lifting forums that I post at on the net. I just pounded out 155 lbs for 8 reps at DB bench press. My goal was to get 10 reps, so hopefully I can pull that off this weekend or Monday.

I should post a picture some time soon... weight is down to 213 and my wife says this is the best I have ever looked.
biggrin.gif

Just an FYI, I am actually having this cycle go into the post-5's and I am smashing previous PRs. For example, 115 was my total best per 3 reps at DB Lying Incline Rows and Flys. I just did a paid of 65's and could probably do more.
biggrin.gif

I do need a picture here... the V is back with a vengeance, and it appears I may finally signing up for a gym in the coming weeks.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back