The Vegetarian Poll

Fausto,

I wasn't really angy, hence the plethora of smileys I put on that sentence to indicate such.
sad.gif

<div>
(Ruthenian @ Feb. 14 2007,13:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">More than likely you are tired because you are not eating enough animal protein and fats and too much carbs  
wink.gif
</div>
Now, that I should have seen coming!

Actually, I don't know if it is because I am hitting my stride again after holiday SD or because I have dropped about 9 pounds, but I am absolutely tearing up the treadmill right now.  I haven't been in such good cardio shape in over 15 years -- I seem to actually have plenty of energy.</div>
well, I guess you can call me Vegivore. Since going Paleo the begining of Jan 2007,
I have dropped almost 22,4 Lbs! All I eat is meat, chicken, eggs, fish, nuts, and unending amounts of fruits and veggies. Energy levels through the roof.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">All I eat is meat, chicken, eggs, fish, nuts, and unending amounts of fruits and veggies.  Energy levels through the roof.</div>

Glad it is going well (despite the meat component  
wink.gif
).  After you mentioned going on the Paleo Diet, I decided to look into the topic of &quot;original&quot; or &quot;ancestral&quot; diets.  There is, of course, some controversy on what the diet actually consisted of.  One thing on which most agree, however, is that the diet included a boatload of plant products, even if it wasn't totally vegetarian.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Feb. 15 2007,15:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Actually said:
well, I guess you can call me Vegivore. Since going Paleo the begining of Jan 2007,
I have dropped almost 22,4 Lbs! All I eat is meat, chicken, eggs, fish, nuts, and unending amounts of fruits and veggies.  Energy levels through the roof.</div>
Hey Doc, I have to ask the big question here (just 'cause I wanna be first) and say, how much lean mass did you lose and I guess how much did your strength totals drop?
I am not being sarcastic here, just curious about the diet. I've thought of doing something like it for years...just lazy I suppose.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">All I eat is meat, chicken, eggs, fish, nuts, and unending amounts of fruits and veggies. Energy levels through the roof.</div>

Well, Nuts and fruits and veggies are part of the original diet, you have simply started eating clean foods which are speeding up your metabolism by themselves thus the weight loss and energy levels.

Good for you!
biggrin.gif
The plant components specially the fibrous lot really help the metabolism process things fast and utilize the energy a lot more efficiently.

The &quot;original&quot; human diet is easy to lose weight on.

Go out and look around for nuts, find one, eat it.

When you happen across a fruit, grab it and eat it.

You see a grasshopper. Spend half the day chasing it, catch it and eat it.

If a bigger human comes along, you lose your grasshopper.

I'm actually right now trying to talk a real vegan, not veg... a vegan into writing up a diet to post in this thread.

It will be interesting to see how they get enough complete protein and calories to do bodybuilding on.

I don't know if she'll do it or not. If she does and gives permission, I'll post it.

All I am using is the Scale. I don´t know how much LBM, but it really can´t be that much as I have NOT noticed a drop in strength (yes I know it is subjective and biased, but I think after 41 years I know my body). I can´t imagine it would be that much as I am getting in more protein now than I was prior to Paleo. As I am NOT into the BB side of life and I wasn´t huge I don´t think I have much LBM to lose as do BBrs who cut or someone like a steve jones who seems rather huge. I wasn´t obese either, or even fat.

The 21st of December I was 97kg (213lb) and today I weighed in at 88 kg (193 Lbs). If I lost 3Kg of LBM, I would feel it.

The increase in fruits and veggies cured my insulin sensitivity.

All this time and I thought fruits and nuts were Californians...
biggrin.gif

I'll do some searches and see what I can find out, here in my insomnial hours. I hated to see I'd have to buy the book to find out about it, but maybe something will come up. I found some interesting reading on here:
http://www.metabolicdiet.com/ with the infamous Dr. Di Pasquale. I dislike his recommendation to use Renew, because I've tried it, and colloidal minerals, only to empty my wallet with no results. Probably works for people with poor diets. But the sites articles are backed with the research url's for the scientifically gifted, so it seems to be a science-based theorem, overall.
Aha. I did find some Paleo info here: http://www2.trainingbible.com/paleo.htm

<div>
(Fausto @ Feb. 15 2007,22:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nippon

Cool, just...we normally avoid &quot;strong&quot; language, so I thought I'd prompt yah!
wink.gif
</div>
Fausto,

I can understand your concern. But please don't pick and choose who to police. If you are going to &quot;prompt&quot; those that do something you don't like, then prompt everyone please.

If your going to by a book, buy &quot;the paleo diet for athletes&quot; not the original.
It is much better for us athletes and you get the info you need.

and check here for free info: http://www.paleodiet.com/

FWIW: I follow the paleo diet about 90%.
Once a week I eat a pizza.
I use small amounts of salt.
I eat 7 egg white and 1 egg yolk every morning.
I use 1 tbls of sugar in my coffee in the a.m.
I eat 12.5 grams of bitter chocholate very night.
I also don´t pay any attention to the &quot;glycemic&quot; qualities of fruits.
They are all equal for me.

By cutting out all grains and eating unlimited quantities of fruits and veggies, you get a BIG caloric cut and you still won´t be ble to get these calories back inspite of the HUGE MASS of fruits and veggies you will eat.

If you really go quasi paleo, you might feel like **** for a week or two, but hang in there, afterwards you will be floored.

BTW, I use only fish oil and no other supplements. My post workout drink is simply gatorade mixed with 30 grams Maltodextrine and 30 grams Amino acids..

That it.

<div>
(vagrant @ Feb. 16 2007,01:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The &quot;original&quot; human diet is easy to lose weight on.

You see a grasshopper.  Spend half the day chasing it, catch it and eat it.

If a bigger human comes along, you lose your grasshopper.</div>
Great!

I use the modern form: I walk EVERY day about 2km to buy my food.

When I go to bed, my frig is empty.

Okay, with all that in mind, a question for our Veggamatic friends...
The tropical peoples in certain countries (the Hawiian mix, Polynesians, other equatorial islands) seem to have genetically large people.
Is there any difference in the tropical fruits vs. the standard northern fare? I'm thinking glycemic index and such.

<div>
(vagrant @ Feb. 16 2007,01:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The &quot;original&quot; human diet is easy to lose weight on.

You see a grasshopper.  Spend half the day chasing it, catch it and eat it.

If a bigger human comes along, you lose your grasshopper.</div>
Actually no, if your a resourceful cannibal, that would be considered a good day.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(need2eat @ Feb. 16 2007,09:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Actually no, if your a resourceful cannibal, that would be considered a good day.
biggrin.gif
</div>
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It will be interesting to see how they get enough complete protein and calories to do bodybuilding on.</div>
Calories are not a problem (a big burrito can easily have 800-1000 kcals) , but it is more difficult to get the protein (if you are shooting for over 2 gm/kg-bw) without overdoing the calories.  If you are shooting for lower protein targets, (like 1 gm/kg), that would not be difficult, either. Two easy ways to get higher protein levels:

(1) soy products.  As previously discussed, I try not to make it the majority of my protein due to possible estrogenic effects (though studies on this have conflicting findings).  Moderate amounts of soy protein have positive health effects.
(2) Protein shakes. Of course, many omnivorous BBs also use these.  I use a non-soy vegetable protein.

Seitan (gluten) is also a possibility, but I have not yet done much with that -- I think that Jake may have more experience with this.  Of course, ovo-lacto vegetarians can use dairy and eggs.

Back