The Vegetarian Poll

Lion_Eating.gif

"vegetarian? not me!"
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He asked a damn question, that was all.</div>

Yep. Unfortunately, discussing vegetarianism here (or anywahere) is pretty much equivalent to discussing religion (no, wait... we did that too) or politics (pleeeeeeeease, don't anyone start on *that*). I've always wondered why people (on both sides, but more, it seems on carnivorous side) get so touchy about this stuff. My God, people, it's food, whatever you choose to eat. Better to concentrate on people who eat Twinkies and Big Macs than the well-intentioned, health-focused people on here.

<div>
(Jake @ Feb. 11 2007,19:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've always wondered why people (on both sides, but more, it seems on carnivorous side) get so touchy about this stuff. My God, people, it's food, whatever you choose to eat. Better to concentrate on people who eat Twinkies and Big Macs than the well-intentioned, health-focused people on here.</div>
I think on the meat eating side it can be because people assume that they are being judged by vegetarians...you know kind of 'vegetarians think it's cruel to eat meat, they must think I'm a right b*stard, well who are they to think that, right they're a bunch of w*nkers'

Or the sub conscious thought process goes something like that anyway!

Then on the vegetarian side you get those that are passionate about it and believe they have the right to judge other people's choices according to their own opinions...which is exactly the same reason politics and religion cause problems too.

The most important thing about having an opinion is to recognise that everybody is entitled to one and having the humility to recognise that, although you think you're right others may not and you do not have the right to impose that opinion on others.

Incidentally I think you and the original poster conducted yourselves impeccably ni that regard.

Cheers

Rob

<div>
(Jake @ Feb. 11 2007,14:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He asked a damn question, that was all.</div>

Yep.  Unfortunately, discussing vegetarianism here (or anywahere) is pretty much equivalent to discussing religion (no, wait... we did that too) or politics (pleeeeeeeease, don't anyone start on *that*).  I've always wondered why people (on both sides, but more, it seems on carnivorous side) get so touchy about this stuff.  My God, people, it's food, whatever you choose to eat.  Better to concentrate on people who eat Twinkies and Big Macs than the well-intentioned, health-focused people on here.</div>
You never see a person who eats meat shove a hamburger down a vegetarian's throat, but you frequently hear of someone getting paint splashed on their fur coat. Unfortunately, all vegi's get lumped in with the wacko PeTA types. That is why I believe the meat eaters get a little defensive. A vocal group of militant vegi's seem to feel the need to impose their morals on society, so much of society feels the need to provide a little backlash. Just my speculation.

<div>
(Ruthenian @ Feb. 11 2007,22:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">http://chetday.com/vegmyths.htm

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/animal_fat_breast_cancer.html </div>
Isn't this rather pointless by now?  I mean, we can trade conflicting links for days:

Cured meat and lung function

Meat Consumption and Kidney Cancer

Carcinogenic and Mutagenic action from cooked meat

Bacteria and fungi in Korean stock sheds

Nuts healthy, meat ain’t

Meat and elevated blood pressure

Vegetarian diets help prevent numerous diseases

Charred meat and cancer

Meat consumption increases chance of kidney cancer

Red meat consumption and breast cancer

Others can get the last word - I am done with this thread (phew!).  
tounge.gif
</div>
you understand what correlation and causation mean dont you?

Geezie Petes!!!! The stuff in this thread is totally light-weight stuff -- nothing!! Hang around some political or religion forums. If folks' feathers are getting ruffled by this, I'd hate to see them in a bonafide political debate forum!

Not much in this thread has gone beyond good natured discussion, some joking, and fun. I took exception with the &quot;Anatomy&quot; thing, but not with the guy who posted it. I think we're both satisfied with the discussion.

Other guys in this thread haven't done any harm, as far as I can tell.

Quit it now if you want, stay with it if you want.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Isn't this rather pointless by now?  I mean, we can trade conflicting links for days: </div>

Ruthenian, that is just it
laugh.gif

This site is the pits, we are just to darn technical
laugh.gif

Enlightening though!

Anyway...I don't for a minute think any of my posts was inflamatory, or derrogatory at all.

Neither did I get militant...or rma down veggie burger down anyone's throat, I also happen to be a meat eater still so...not much point in doing the above.

Besides...the whole point was to disallow people from disregarding the vegetarians as they can also teach us some things.

We have to be open minded! And...most of us are!
wink.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">We have to be open minded! And...most of us are!</div>

uh-oh... is that strains of Kumbaya I hear in the distance?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ok, I lied.  I saw that Jake had posted here and he was the one guy who could get me to take another look.

Still, you guys crack me up!  
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Geezie Petes!!!!  The stuff in this thread is totally light-weight stuff -- nothing!! Hang around some political or religion forums. If folks' feathers are getting ruffled by this, I'd hate to see them in a bonafide political debate forum!</div>
It is not so much the intensity, just the never-ending quality of it.  My natural inclination is like a lot of other folks: keep arguing until I win! Even now I am resisting the urge to answer some of the stuff posted since that list of links.  But this thread could go on almost forever with folks arguing back and forth and no ultimate resolution.  And if you want to answer a particularly deep or strong post, it takes research and work. I'm just not sure that arguing for the sake of argument is worth the effort.  Besides, I said I wasn't going to argue anymore -- I need to show some strength of will! (at least for awhile
wink.gif
)

At any rate, the reality is that I probably won't be able to fully resist looking at new posts, so if this keeps going on (and on, and on, and on....), I'll probably keep checking.  At least I got some answers from the poll results!  
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Made you look!</div>
Yeah, yeah...  

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Lion_Eating.gif

&quot;vegetarian? not me!&quot;</div>
Back off, carnivores!

elephant-bluffing-lions.jpg

biggrin.gif

<div>
(vagrant @ Feb. 11 2007,23:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He asked a damn question, that was all.</div>
A damn question? Dude, what exactly is your problem?

I am not attacking the guy.

I am serious. Most of us are adults so we should understand a little about human nature by now. Even if the original post was legitimate, it should have been obvious that it would have turned out this way posting something like this on this kind of forum.

By the way, all I did was ask a damn question as well, so take your dam defensive attitude and dam shove it up your dam ass.
tounge.gif
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Even if the original post was legitimate, it should have been obvious that it would have turned out this way posting something like this on this kind of forum.</div>
Well, I did expect a little flack, but I didn't expect it to hit seven pages!

By now I think that we have all agreed to disagree (with a low level of friendly ribbing lingering).  

Like I said, the thing was just dragging on awfully long IMHO.  If someone wants to debate vegetarianism, I'm sure one of the other veggies is capable, or maybe the game can start again later.  As for me, I'm kinda tired of it right now (must be low energy from being on a cut!
tounge.gif
).

<div>
(Ruthenian @ Feb. 14 2007,00:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As for me, I'm kinda tired of it right now (must be low energy from being on a cut!)More t</div>
More than likely you are tired because you are not eating enough animal protein and fats and too much carbs
wink.gif

Nippon....

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">By the way, all I did was ask a damn question as well, so take your dam defensive attitude and dam shove it up your dam ass.</div>

That now is not the acceptable norm in this forum, that is personal and it involves anatomy, something we'd rather keep out of right now! Keep your anger down!
sad.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">More than likely you are tired because you are not eating enough animal protein and fats and too much carbs  
wink.gif
</div>
Now, that I should have seen coming!

Actually, I don't know if it is because I am hitting my stride again after holiday SD or because I have dropped about 9 pounds, but I am absolutely tearing up the treadmill right now.  I haven't been in such good cardio shape in over 15 years -- I seem to actually have plenty of energy.

Back