Time vs total volume

manos

I am new to HST.I am trying to make my 1rst cycle's routine.
From what I have seen in the forum I think I should use 12 exercices,1x15-2x10-3x5 fashion.But I think after the 4 first weeks the time needed to go through the workout will exceed 1 hour.
So what should be my priority, to limit my workouts to 45-60 min. or to finish a predecided volume of training regardless of time?(All these, supposing right rytm in repetitions and rests between sets)

Manos

here's an idea, split the 12 into 6, alternate 6 each time, and the workout will easily fit into 45 - 60 minutes:

Ideas?

1 - Squat alternated with deadlift
2 - Bench Press / Chest Dips (works triceps anyway)
3 - Chinups / Bent Over rows
4 - Military Press / Lateral + Bent over raises
5 - Incline Curls / Preacher curls
6 - Tricep Pushdowns / Skullcrushers
wink.gif

Why is everyone (especially newbies) trying to keep the workouts to an hour? Did Bryan put something in an article? (I couldn't find it)
Bb'ers have for years on end trained as much as two hours with good results, and my early HST efforts were usually an hour and twenty.
I understand that protein synthesis (I think that was it) begins to drop off at around an hour in...but it doesn't stop completely. Other than that, I can only see the fatigue factor being relevant.

I think there is also a negative affect on testosterone and other hormones if you lift heavy for more than about an hour.  I don't know if there are any actual studies on this though.  Maybe Dan has some?

<div>
(Bulldog @ Feb. 09 2007,18:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think there is also a negative affect on testosterone and other hormones if you lift heavy for more than about an hour.  I don't know if there are any actual studies on this though.  Maybe Dan has some?</div>
It's HIT training marketing hype (work hard but brief and infrequent
rock.gif
), but it doesn't matter anyway because as you become accustomed to the 1 hour or more training the cortisol response diminishes anyway. Also some of the studies didn't measure free test or the the test to cortisol ratio so they aren't worth much IMO.

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 09 2007,17:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why is everyone (especially newbies) trying to keep the workouts to an hour? Did Bryan put something in an article? (I couldn't find it)
Bb'ers have for years on end trained as much as two hours with good results, and my early HST efforts were usually an hour and twenty.
I understand that protein synthesis (I think that was it) begins to drop off at around an hour in...but it doesn't stop completely. Other than that, I can only see the fatigue factor being relevant.</div>
Well, I bought into the short workouts thing before, but over the past year I've gotten over it. Personally, I like to rest a lot between sets to be sure I'm at my max strength for each set, which generally causes my workouts to take more than an hour... nothing bad has happened as a result, unless you consider rapid strength gains to be bad. I can handle a lot more volume if I rest more between sets too, so... that sells it for me.

If anyone is really worried about it, just sip at a protein shake or something like that during your workouts. I would imagine that would probably help.

Ha! We think identically on the workouts. I set up a shake at least 15 min. before the workout and sip on it throughout and after if there's any left. But it's a whole 7 cup blender, with two big scoops of whey and two scoops of Vitargo, so plenty of protein and carbs. Without the carbs, I'm about 15% weaker!

Thanks for the answers guys.
The time factor is important for me for these reasons:
Fatique, limited free time and dizzyness. I am only eating food,4 or 5 meals, no supplements so I don't consume something during workout.
I have turned to HST because of health problem due to bad blood circulation in brain which gives me dizzyness when pushing to failure.(I have been BB for years but only 4-6 months every year with poor results as you can imagine.)
I hope that working out with a program which is desinged to work avoiding failure most of the time, like HST, is better suited for me.
That's why Quad, I thing I should really search for the minimum time -and effort- needed for my muscles to grow although I really engoy my time in the gym.

''Personally, I like to rest a lot between sets to be sure I'm at my max strength for each set, which generally causes my workouts to take more than an hour... nothing bad has happened as a result, unless you consider rapid strength gains to be bad''

Omg! You might get big and muscular! Gross!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">bad blood circulation in brain which gives me dizzyness when pushing to failure</div>

I am trying to figure out the mechanism that would cause this.  If the blood is going to other muscles, I could see loosing blood to the brain (kinda like sex!).  However, typically lifting would tend to elevate blood pressure, potentially offsetting some of that?  I do note that those with high blood pressure can get dizziness when pressure drops.  Do you know why this happens?  Have you tried any medical interventions?

[Do you know why this happens? Have you tried any medical interventions?]

I don't have high blood pressure.
I have searched for the cause of the problem with several doctors,multiple tests and I have consumed numerous drugs but I am not even now sure.The best answer I got was that it has to do with blooddynamics through one of the three vains which sends blood to the brain.When in stress, physical or even mental, the blood vain contracts and does not allow sufficient blood quantity to pass to the brain.
Excuse me for my poor English.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's why Quad, I thing I should really search for the minimum time -and effort- needed for my muscles to grow although I really engoy my time in the gym. </div>
Before you mess with your workout, perhaps you could try this: 1/2 hr. before, take either a Gingko Biloba tablet or yohimbe, which increase blood supply to the brain. Then, make a shake of whey powder, fruit and/or Vitargo or Maltodextrin with Dextrose and sip it from ten minutes before the workout and throughout the workout.

I think you'll be amazed at what happens.

Back