Total Reps per Exercise

HSTMunich85

Hey!

What do you all think is the "ideal" number of reps per exercise. Like, for example Squats I used to do 2-3 sets and 8-10 reps. Now I want to leave the classic HST thing and want to do cluster HST. What volume would be appropriate for what exercise. My workout contains the following ones:
Squats
Deadlifts
Benchpress
Latpulldown
Shoulderpress
Dips
Bizep Curl

Thanks for the help,

Markus

Markus

From the Pimp my HST e-book:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">5.2 Theory on Cluster Training

Conventional wisdom goes that cluster training works well becomes it enables you to manage your fatigue in order to perform more reps. However, from my experiences experimenting with chopping up sets and high frequency training, I feel the greater issue is that fatigue (i.e. net MU recruitment) and possibly metabolic work (i.e. core temperature increasing tissue elasticity) in general creates protective mechanisms whereby the stress of a rep exhibits less and less strain.

There is a lengthy discussion of this over at Littledoc's thread, but essentially the idea goes that when MU recruitment decreases due to fatigue, the contribution to passive muscle strain (which affects all fibers) decreases. The theory goes (derived from the Morgan studies) that if you can sustain the optimal, synchronous MU recruitment parameters, then you can create progressive damage in percentage of muscle fibers until you reach fibers whose true yield stress will not be seriously damaged by the passive strain.

However, due to fatigue and/or metabolic work mostly produced during concentric work, especially with 8+ reps, this level of damage usually not reached within one set. Clustering, then, is really about keeping the loading effect as potent per rep as possible. In short, during a given set, after a certain # of reps (ostensibly representing fatigue or absolute load creating the maximal # of MU recruitment), the level of microstrain (and ostensibly MAPKp38 activity) starts to dip.

This usually represents a period where the rate coding significantly rises, and thus is felt by you by increased neural drive. In this form of training, you would stop before this even starts; that would define the # of reps of your miniset. Then, you'd rest shortly and repeat.

It follows that concentric contractions should be done fairly quickly; though eccentric contractions should be done in slowly.

Then a short-to-long rest period follows before the next miniset. The lower # of reps, he shortens the rest period and the higher # of total reps you can complete. Cluster is the opposite of density training.

Where the latter enables a given load to optimize aggregate metabolic stress (and MAPerk1/2 activity), cluster training enables a load to optimize net mechanical strain (and MAPKp38 activity.)

5.2.1 Setting up a Rep x Set Matrix and Adjusting toward Total Volume

1) The maximum # of reps is set by a period in which net MU recruitment starts to drop. This is roughly measured by a significant rise in rate coding.

2) The lower you are from this max # of reps, the more total reps you can complete. Practically speaking, you'd be dividing the usual reps by either 2 or 3 and round down.

3) The lower you are from this max # of reps, the less rest time you should start with. This is important since some fatigue is necessary in order to facilitate MU recruitment.

4) Rest time goes up steadily. You could use enormous rest periods (the high-frequency indirectly came from this idea), but of course you have to be pragmatic.

Also, if you plan on the set being a source of significant metabolic stress, you'll want to increase rest time more slowly. Remember that before we mentioned in the classic HST setup, ideally you'll have the # of reps for that bodypart during 5s be at least 1/3 of your total 15s reps.

Thus, after a 2x15 set -- 30 reps, you'll have a minimum of 10 reps to complete for 5s. For example, you could use a 5x2 setup with 20-40 second rest range.
For 10s, you'll have a minimum of 20 reps to complete. You could use a 5x4 setup with that 20-40 second rest period.

If you want to approach 30 reps for 5s, you could perform 30x1 reps with 5-20 second rest range.
As you can see, the higher your target reps, the finer your application is.
Thus, the improvement in microstrain comes from two places: the increase in # of loaded reps and a lengthier, more thorough period where MU recruitment is near-optimal and thus strain is accentuated.

Because this technique is designed to accentuate sarcomere disruption, the pragmatic limit (besides time constraints) will essentially be the effect of disruption on your progressive loading.
In one cluster scheme, they use an ultra-fine rep x set matrix, while only permitting progressive loads once a week.

In other words to facilitate the progressive loading of classic HST, you'll want to keep it relatively estimate.
That being said, this method works better when the total # of target reps would exceed the normal # of reps for 1 set.

Thus, if you're planning to micromanage just 5 reps for your 5s, this probably isn't worth it.
However, those of you planning 2 to 4 sets of 10s and 5s anyway, this is a way to accentuate the results while incurring much less neural fatigue. Sweet deal, innit?

5.2.2 Testing for Yourself

You can test how this works for you right now. Take your current set # and chop it up.
If you're doing 2 sets of 5s, chop it into 10x2.
See how it works for you and make notes of how you feel the next day.

How much difference do you feel? If it does nothing to increase strain for you, at least you've done a finer job of managing fatigue.
That, of course, was its original intended purpose -- to get you the benefits of higher volume without the price.

For those of you using stretch-point exercises, this is a natural technique in order to both accentuate its effect and manage favorable loads.</div>

Hope it helps, aufidersen!

<div>
(Fausto @ Feb. 23 2006,05:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hope it helps, aufidersen!</div>
Close but it is ....&quot;aufwiedersehen&quot;!

wink.gif

Markus,

Where in München du you train?

(Let´s learn German: Markus, Wo trainierst du in München?)

I am at the Fitness Forum on Landsbergerstrasse.

mfG,

Pierre

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">aufwiedersehen</div>

Hey, I tried!
biggrin.gif

Back