Total Weekly Calories vs Daily

Mindwraith

If I were to take in 3000 calories on one day and only 1000 calories the next, that would amount to an average of 2000 calories for both days. If my mantainence is 2500 would this count as a deficit if I were to continue this cycle for 1 month? Or does your body have some kind of clock that says "ok you've slept to the next day lets reset the calories you took in more than you burned yesterday so that counts against you in the long run".

I'm just trying to see how your body biologically counts calories, and if the average calories over a month is really what counts.

Your body doesn't "count" calories as much as it reacts to surplus and deficit.

So, on the day you eat 3000 your body will treat it as a surplus. On the next day it will treat 1000 as a deficit...because it is.

If you are wondering if it is the total over a period of time rather than getting fat or lean minute by minute, it is the total over time relative to the amount you burn. Your body has ways of dealing with surplus and deficit in the short term in order to counteract any extreme reaction either way acutely.

It is easiest simply to eat the same amount each day.

Ah, so there is sort of a timer on how long before your body decides what to do with a surplus, or to decide if something is a surplus or not. That makes sense.

Well, it depends on the bodies 'need' for caloric use.

In terms of hypertrophy, if the structure of a histological presence such as muscle tissue is injured to an extent (acute myotrauma) then the 'need' for a caloric surplus has to be met so that the general (networked) process of hypertrophy can occur...the degree of 'need' is debatable.

Its more of a 'need' vs 'store' factor rather than a timer factor.

Our bodies will use what it needs and store what is left over for periods of a caloric deficit, when it needs it.

Ah ok I see, good point. So its best then if you're trying to lose fat to just keep it lower than what it needs at all times. I just wish there were a more accurate way to determine what "low" is other than some mathematical formula based on weight.

I'd like a machine you could jump into daily that scans you and determines what your body's caloric needs are for that day or minute or hour.

Back