Totally discouraged by HST

rzieba

Well I'm on my first week of 5's and I am very discouraged. This is my first cycle and I have not seen any growth at all. In fact I actually lost 1/6 of an inch from my arms. I'm not bashing HST or anything, but I am very dissapointed with the results or should I say lack of results from this program. I choose than basic routine and calculated all of my maxes accurately and my diet has been good too. For some reason I have not seen any growth at all. I know my cycle is not finished yet, but I was told I would see growth in each micro cycle. Unfortunately for me that is not the case.

If you want help...

Put up a descriptive posting about what you've been doing including workouts - splits - exercises - nutrition - supplements, etc.

In other words - put up enough information we can read it and help you.

thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rzieba @ Nov. 02 2005,2:45)]Well I'm on my first week of 5's and I am very discouraged. This is my first cycle and I have not seen any growth at all. In fact I actually lost 1/6 of an inch from my arms. I'm not bashing HST or anything, but I am very dissapointed with the results or should I say lack of results from this program. I choose than basic routine and calculated all of my maxes accurately and my diet has been good too. For some reason I have not seen any growth at all. I know my cycle is not finished yet, but I was told I would see growth in each micro cycle. Unfortunately for me that is not the case.
How much weight have you gained?  If the answer is none, then your diet hasn't been "good."  You should be eating a hypercaloric diet and gaining weight... some muscle and some fat (which we hope to minimize). I've found that I have to consume an enormous amount of food to put on weight at a decent rate. Most people simply don't eat enough when they're trying to build muscle. A great article on this is by David Barr over at T-mag (just ignore the plugs for Surge): http://t-nation.com/readTop....781428. Depending on your genetics, you should be able to gain/lose 1-2 pounds per week. Food choices (ie eating clean) is not half as important as 1) overall calories, 2) protein intake, and 3) meal frequency. As you bulk your weight should be steadily increasing. As you cut, your weight should be steadily dropping. Diet is half of bodybuilding.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Nov. 02 2005,4:23)]
Conciliator said:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]1]
Agree with everything said here by Coniliator except
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Diet is half of bodybuilding.
I would up this to 80%
I would down that to 50%, it's just that 80-90% of the time it's what people are doing wrong. ;) Diet is 50% of th fight and 90% of the mistakes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xahrx @ Nov. 02 2005,3:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Nov. 02 2005,4:23)]
wow.gif
1-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Conciliator @ Nov. 02 2005,3
wow.gif
1)]
Agree with everything said here by Coniliator except
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Diet is half of bodybuilding.
I would up this to 80%
I would down that to 50%, it's just that 80-90% of the time it's what people are doing wrong. ;)  Diet is 50% of th fight and 90% of the mistakes.
Oh alright, I'll split the difference with ya and go with 65% ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How much weight have you gained?  If the answer is none, then your diet hasn't been "good."  You should be eating a hypercaloric diet and gaining weight... some muscle and some fat (which we hope to minimize). I've found that I have to consume an enormous amount of food to put on weight at a decent rate.

I agree that staying in a postive caloric balance is very important for adding muscle. But I will have to disagree with everyone on this thread overempasizing diet. Especially, judging hypertrophy just by weight gained or advising someone to keep eating until they gain more weight. I could tell anyone who doesn't even do any form of exercise to keep eating and judge their success for hypertrophy by gaining weight, but that would be silly and a formula for becoming obese. I think the stimulus is being underestimated here.

[/QUOTE]Put up a descriptive posting about what you've been doing including workouts - splits - exercises - nutrition - supplements, etc.
This is the key especially if you claim you lost 1/6 of an inch off you arms which is probably more indicative of measuring improperly anyway.
Or it could be from possibly taking the advice of some on the forum advising to drop isolation exercises for arms. But once again we don't know until you tell us more specifics.

thehamma

From my short experience (4 years), and I know a lot of guys like are like me, I was relying too much on supplements to get my protein intakes high. So for my last cycle, I cut on these, using protein shakes only as pre and post training sessions. And I started eating like an elephant
dozingoff.gif
(but only very clean stuff) and, well I think the results speak for themselves...
I totaly agree with you dkm!

Sorry, forgot to tell you that you can see the results in the "Training legs only with HST..." post!
blush.gif

Well to let you guys know this is what my diet is like.
Meal 1
Cream of Wheat (60g)
Cup Milk
2 eggs
Meal 2 (Weight Gain shake)
Protien Powder
Cup Milk
1/2 cup oats
1 tbl spoon Peanut butter
1 tbl spoon Honey
Meal 3
2 Chicken breasts
1 cup pasta
Orange juice
Meal 4
Dinner (varies on a daily basis, but includes meat and potatoes or pasta)
Meal 5
Can of Tuna
Cup Milk
Yogurt
2 Slices bread
Meal 6 (Weight Gain shake)
Same as I listed above.
Last time I counted that was around 3200-3500 calories. Protien was around 230-250 and carbs around 300-350.
I am 20 years old, 5'11 and I weighed 175 lbs when I started HST. Now I weigh 177 so I gained two pounds, but like I said no size gains anywhere.

As for the workout I do the following exercises.

Squats (2 sets)
Leg Curls (1 set)
Lateral pulldown (2 sets)
Close Grip Row (1 set)
Incline Dumbell Press (2 sets)
Shoulder Press (2 sets)
Shrugs (2 sets)
Close Grip Press (2 Sets)
Bicep Curl (2 sets)
Calve raise (2 sets)

Tell us more about your workouts

2 day split, 6 days a week, etc.

Are you taking any supplements?

Diet/Good Mix - Protein =40% Carbs = 30% Fat = 30%

thumbs-up.gif

My routine is Monday Wednesday Friday. Started with 15's, 10's, now I'm on 5's. As for supplements I use Whey protien and I just started creatine right now. The reason I am discouraged now is because when I used to workout the "standard" way doing each muscle once a week with about 6-9 total sets I actually got up to 192 lbs. I stopped training for a while after that and I went on a cutting cycle. I feel like my old routine worked better than HST. The only reason I tried HST is because of all the good things I read about it. I know all you guys are saying that HST is much faster for muscle growth and you would never go back to training the old way, but do you think its possible HST is just not for me? Maybe I need to be doing each muscle once a week and hammering it with 6-9 total sets.

If you aren't gaining then:

You aren't training correctly

OR

You aren't eating correctly.

Better exercise selection might help.

Training with heavier weights will help (2 weeks of 5s, 4-6 weeks of post 5s/5RMs)

Eating more will help gain you weight of some kind no matter what.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rzieba @ Nov. 02 2005,10:23)]do you think its possible HST is just not for me?
Possible, but unlikely. How many cycles have you done? It took 2 cycles for me to begin to have a feel for what works. It's a lot of trial and error even with the great basic template that is layed out by the principles of HST. If this is only your first cycle I would urge you to do at least a couple more before you give up on HST. There are just too many success stories on this forum (including mine) for you to be discouraged so early.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Atlas @ Nov. 02 2005,9:26)]I totaly agree with you dkm!
Alright

Dan 1
Xarhx 1

We're tied up in the beginning of the 7th.

There are several things that need to be said here for this man's sake that haven't yet.

Diet is very important, already said.

The duration needed for changes to be seen varies, some hypertrophy can be seen in some muscle as soon as 4 weeks some much longer. As Hardrock said Give it some time.

If you were hammering out 6-9 sets per week then use this same volume in HST. Just beak it up.

Use the same movements you've used before, no sense in relearning movements if hypertrophy is your goal.

As Hardrock said, give it some time.

At 3500 Kcals, @ 20X Bw, you should grow but,

Use what Jester said and extend the heaviest part of the cycle.

Just keep pluggin away there guy and you will start to see some gains but most importantly...........What did Hardrock say?

Keep us posted
thumbs-up.gif

(quote)Or it could be from possibly taking the advice of some on the forum advising to drop isolation exercises for arms.  But once again we don't know until you tell us more specifics.
thehamma
i take it you dont agree with dropping isos hamma.
i am doing that this cycle on the 5s so will let you know if it works or not.

Rzeiba,

Hardrock said give it some time, and DKM said that Hardrock said give it some time 5 times.

I would not make the mistake of continuing to do the same things you are doing and "giving it some time". You obviously need to make adjustments, whether it be in training, diet, or other parts of your life that are impeding muscle growth.
If you give it too much time, two cycles from now you will have not put on any size in 4 months. From my experience in bodybuilding if you are not putting on weight/size relatively consistently you are doing something wrong. In the past I "waited" for growth, or gave growth "some time" and it never came. I also believe that this sport only gets harder, the bigger you get the harder it is to get even bigger. Some goes with cutting, the more ripped you get the harder it is to get more ripped. So if anything you should be growing more now than later.

Make the proper adjustments to your routine and start growing!

Joe G

Back