Training log

You definitely have a good point JV. I mean, it's worth a shot to have all of my carbs at low-GI levels, just like it is beneficial to have most or all of my fats being good and/or having EFA's.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm not as high tech as Colby, all I do is I know what I'll eat for most of the days of the week.

Haha, I wouldn't say how I run my diet is high-tech, but it is very detailed!
tounge.gif
I know if I didn't do this, then my caloric intake would either fall too low or go too high and not be at the target where I want it.

Fausto, did you drop the iso's yet?

-Colby

JV

I also kind of know what i eat during the day (take to work), so I can control that and what the wifie cooks, is only unknown till the time I eat it!
laugh.gif
So, I am kind of one day behind but since i started doing some tracking things are improving!
thumbs-up.gif

I'll still try to get to Colby's level of diet watching, but for now I think I'll be fine.

Now for more serious other matters:

I think I've made one serious mistake and thsi would be good to make the novices aware, so they don't end up doing the same! In my ever quest for lifting more, i took out all possible zigzags from my routine, this resulted in serious joint pain at workout time and difficulty in accomplishing some of the target weights
blush.gif

Like the Military press, got to 50 Kg, but after all decided to just stay there for a week before moving on, bench and squats still OK, but the weight feels like its going to compress the living crap out of my spine
laugh.gif

So...to fix things...and somewhat unfortunatelly (as I wanted to keep the iso's right throught)
butbut.gif
, I am dropping the iso's from next week, and I am going to re-do my workout so that zigzag will come into play again, as good ol' Blade taught me some years back!

So...lesson for the novices...keep the ziggy ion there as it works well and delays the RBE effect or over reaching or whatever people will call it, feel more like demotivation
laugh.gif

So, yep Colby, I am dropping them from Monday, putting in E-Z+incline curls (1 set each) and 2 sets Bench dips followed by one set pushdowns, the rest is coumpounds only.

Faz - that exercise works, I have tried it, the other day my kid wanted to me play rugby in the yard with his friends, one of them is a real heavy kid and as i tackled him head-on he just bopped me out of the way (it was very funny)
laugh.gif
The kids had a hell of a laugh...but my lower back staqrted hurting quite a bit afterward, since then I have done that exercise twice per day, resulting in a pain free back, it was actually going down my butt into the hammies...so kudos for you mate....
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Zigzagging keeping you ahead of the RBE... Never quite realized that as a benefit of zigzagging!
Well I am starting to think that not zigzagging made me "gallop" a little too fast, thus the pain in the joints and the feeling that I should stop within the next week. :confused:
Instead, I am going to bring back the zigzag and may take the program into 9 or 12 weeks, I shall see!
There must be something that is making me feel like this and certainly is interfering with my program as I really did not want to cut the iso's out!  :mad:
But nevertheless, I will progress and adjust as Dave Drapper says, his advice is that one bomber with experience will adjust and work around injuries, thus achieving his goals!
happy.gif

However if you feel or anyone else for that matter, that I am incorrect , correct me!
For that is what we are here for.
thumbs-up.gif

Hi All

I thought I'd bump this thread out there again!

Not because I want to be in the limelight, but rather because I am making a decision, and the feedback I always get helps me keep the program on track!
thumbs-up.gif

I am dropping all leg work due to lower back issues, squats and deadlifts as from the day 2 of week 2 of 5's.
sad.gif
as suggested by Jester a whle back
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is mainly from a perspective of intuition (not kinesiology or mechanics or anything)....but if they're hurting you, then don't do them.

Faz too, repeats the councel
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but my advice if your back is sore or nagging you STOP.

I'll carry on with the upper body routine into the negatives and see how far I can take it, can only manage one week of negatives as partner is travelling, therefore will carry on 5's at least one more week.

The cycle has worked out well, although I did not put on much weight (2 kgs) so far, thsi could however change, also I'll be more carefull with the diet once on a break.

cheers all

fausto can you not do leg ext or leg curls..i am going to have to drop squats as well
crazy.gif
..went the gym this morning first day of 10s had 100k on the bar when i was coming up my outer quad felt like it was being torn about 10 inches down from my hip..this is the 2nd time it has happened as soon as i get over 100k it goes so i am going to have to do leg ext leg curls :mad:

Yeah, I'm with Faz... you should be still be able to do extensions and curls without pain.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
The cycle has worked out well, although I did not put on much weight (2 kgs) so far, thsi could however change, also I'll be more carefull with the diet once on a break.

Well didn't you say your bf% went down as well? I'd say that's some success there - losing fat while putting on 4.4 lbs of mass.

And I'm sure if you would have ate more in the beginning the bf% would have stayed the same and you would have put on more muscle.

Good job,
Colby

Faz

I don't think I will loose much, since i am near the end of the cycle, I will ponder on that as those two exercises were very much part of the routine, although they were in the iso's days and I am dropping that as I can feel symptoms of overtraining.
tounge.gif

I am sure that I can substitute those with squats and deads, but i am taking at least a week off, the pain I get is not so much during the squats and deads, but afterwards and because I sit on my "tutu"
laugh.gif
a considerable time at work it gets seriously sore.

When I stretch the leg up while lying down, I can feel the tendon all the way into my butt stretching like a cheyenne bow ready to fire!  
laugh.gif
 and what's funny it is only on one side...unfortunately I've used up my physio visits for the year, so early next year I'll be knocking on his door
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well didn't you say your bf% went down as well?  I'd say that's some success there - losing fat while putting on 4.4 lbs of mass.

And I'm sure if you would have ate more in the beginning the bf% would have stayed the same and you would have put on more muscle.

Colby,buddy, I have lost little fat for my liking, but it is slowly coming down, so kudus to you for the encouragement.

My 15 year old does not let up, showing me his nice 6 pack and making fun of me at every occasion, but i am not that easily put down and the war is not over, maybe a battle yes.

Anyhoo, enough of me, what's up with you guys?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Zigzagging keeping you ahead of the RBE
It doesn't, if your view is totally CT wise. But since RBE is far more complex than that, undulating loads may help in slowing it down due to neural factors (which right now I believe is a bigger factor in SD than CT, because CT just doesn't go away in a few days, although it is also important to note that they don't have to totally disappear), like fiber recruitment efficiency. Or not having too much or too rapid sarcomere adaptation. Personally, however, I still won't put "delaying RBE" as one of the merits of zigzagging.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i took out all possible zigzags from my routine, this resulted in serious joint pain at workout time and difficulty in accomplishing some of the target weights
If your cycle ended up spending more time on heavier weights than on your previous cycles with zigzag, then yes, you can expect your cycle to be more brutal to your joints. I personally found no zigzag to be no problem, but that's because I don't increment as fast as you. And I guess being a little younger is also a factor... and the fact that you've been banging weights for a longer time than me, I guess.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Instead, I am going to bring back the zigzag and may take the program into 9 or 12 weeks, I shall see!
You can even do as much as 15 weeks, and that's still without negatives. I believe in prolonging the cycle and squeezing out as much hypertrophy from each weight before incrementing.

Regards,
-JV

JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You can even do as much as 15 weeks, and that's still without negatives. I believe in prolonging the cycle and squeezing out as much hypertrophy from each weight before incrementing.

Point taken
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If your cycle ended up spending more time on heavier weights than on your previous cycles with zigzag, then yes, you can expect your cycle to be more brutal to your joints.I personally found no zigzag to be no problem, but that's because I don't increment as fast as you.

Exactly my point!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] And I guess being a little younger is also a factor... and the fact that you've been banging weights for a longer time than me, I guess.

You bet
laugh.gif

Here's the latest ramble:

I can't say I have put on much weight, but my muscle mass is looking way bigger.

Chest area has grown along with shoulders, arms are looking great!

How the heck do I explain this? My body fat level is only gone down very slightly, 13.5 to 12.63%.

Looks good though I am not complaining.
laugh.gif

The negatives kick @$$ and they sure are bound to cause some new sprouting
laugh.gif

Jester

The same old question keeps popping up "how much, how much....".

To tell you the truth it hovers between 70 - 72 Kgs, all the time, and this maybe because if I average my calory comsuptiom, It probably sits lower than waht I'd like, and what's more is I'm not going to bitch about it!

I'm generally happy!

What puzzles me is that I can see the muscles looking bigger, and ...yes they are...accroding to some measurements I made:

Chest - 43" previously 42"
Arms - 15.5" previously 14.5" two cycles ago, maybe a 1/2" gain this cycle so far....
Legs, no gain, but I also stopped due to lower back issues.

That's it.

I am going to try and oversee my intake carefully during the break so that I can maybe put on some weight, and because I'll be most ly alone, I'll try to switch to ACIT type training as a technique to enhance gains from lesser weights, whilst the program will stay exactly the same as before.

As Joe muscle put it, a very simple compound routine really produces the most gains, I keep on doing the incline curls a la vicious, they are super
laugh.gif

Cheers guys.
thumbs-up.gif

YUeah, I'm back!
laugh.gif

Planning on start ing same cycle again this year.

Holiday was OK, but I would have been better off if I carried on training instead of getting involved with family and stuff
laugh.gif

The results - well, I am still nice and full, but my mid-section has grown somwhat
laugh.gif
ah,ah,ah,ah,ah, as expected, surprisingly enough have not put on added weight so...time to get rid of the blubber.

This time I am trying out the same with phdra cut from USN, I'll use protein but a lot less, and will try to dramatically cut out high GI carbs, except bananas - dang I love bananas, and I am hairy maybe I am a true primate
laugh.gif

Yep, I will be cutting, thinking of doing Tabata on the stationary cycle just prior to workout (as it is only 4 minutes -20 seconds all-out 10 seconds slow) he, he, he sounds like good sex, only this makes you sweat and no big O
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Well, opinions, guys? I will be waiting, cheers.
thumbs-up.gif

Hey!
If you say you hower about the same weight- its really good thing to know isnt it, to know exactly ones own maintanance values. Anyways I really encourage you to keep the log going.

phdra cut? Is that like ephedra or something? I figured with the increased frequency, you wouldn't need ephedra to boost your metabolism.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] he, he, he sounds like good sex, only this makes you sweat and no big O
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Way to be Fausto.

You'll be glad to hear that I am in my 2nd week of my AM/PM split version of the Faustonian cycle. I had a hell of a workout today with 5 exercises that lasted 40 minutes, and I am going back to the gym tonight. I have this love-hate relationship with the 15's.. can't wait to get to the 10's.

I tried doing hyperextensions in my PM workout by placing an EZ-Curl Bar behind my neck, and it feels too uncomfortable and unorthodox. Any ideas for a different exercise? I do SLDL and Leg Press in the AM, Squats in the PM.

-Colby

Howdy Colby!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]phdra cut?  Is that like ephedra or something?  I figured with the increased frequency, you wouldn't need ephedra to boost your metabolism.

Contents per dose (4 tablets):

Garcinia cambogia/White willow bark extract/Citrus aurantium/Acetyl-L-carnitine/Octopamine Hcl/L-Tyrosine/Pantothenic acid (B5)/Chromium polynicotinate  
All the above constituting Phedragen plus (1430 mg)
and
Green tea leaf extract/Caffeine anhydrous/Ginger root powder, constituting Phedra tea plus (440 mg)
I am waging war against the blubber :mad: sick of it :mad:

So my plan is the same program till the 5's, then compounds only 3x week, and I am thinking seriously of doing Tabata HIIT early in the morning.
wow.gif
although now I am only doing it before the workout.

Today went great, and went quite insane with the bench, 4 sets, the last one being at the target weight for 15 reps, kinda doing the aerobic route while on the 15's if that can be called that with 30 seconds or so rest.

This could all be just a "morning glory" but sure feels good for starters  
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You'll be glad to hear that I am in my 2nd week of my AM/PM split version of the Faustonian cycle.

You serious? I am honoured
blush.gif
You mean AM/PM split compounds/isos? That is cool? Going well? Great!

Keep you guys posted! Opinions on the Tabata anyone?

Colby can only think of good mornings as a substitute for the hypers, they also alright, perhaps you should try keeping a d/b in front of you instead of on the neck!

Abarlament

Glad you came in with that, it is tought but it is onl;y 4 minutes and I'm no sucker for punishment
laugh.gif
specially cardio!

Thus the question, early in the morning? First thing? Seems to be the best to burn the blubber, right?

I don't do them as a split because I am already spliting my training as it is, one day Compounds the other Iso's, so as a quick warmup, tabata, was tough yaeh, but it did not kill me and I was a bit pooped after gardening a little!
happy.gif

Thanks for the opinion though!
thumbs-up.gif

Anyone else?

Fausto,

Can't comment much on the Tabata. It sounds like HIIT on a bike. Would you be doing more than four minutes?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You serious? I am honoured
blush.gif
You mean AM/PM split compounds/isos? That is cool? Going well? Great!

I'm sure you may remember me posting the routine in December for critique and comments. It is 8x/wk frequency with the compounds (MWF) being split between the AM and PM. There aren't enough isolations to have them split, and after all they are only isolations.

I will consider good mornings. The reason why I changed how I did hypers is that the gym I goto at school is arranged differently than the one back home. Not only is it annoying, but I also look like a tool lugging 90 lb DBs over to the hyperextension stand.

-Colby

Back