Training log

Fausto

HST Expert
Hi All

Just rumbling on second day of new program that I am trying out, as specified before, M W & F are compounds, basically using this lot alternated:

Romanian Deadlifts/Squats (alternated p/workout)
15° B/B benchpress (each day)
Chins (underhand close grip) (each day)
E-Z Bar pullovers (every second day)
Military press (each day)
Abs (personal choice) (each day)

and isolations using these:

Leg curls / Leg Extensions (alternated p/workout)
Peck Deck's (each day)
Bent over lateral raises (each day)
Preacher curls (B/B) / Incline curls (D/B) (alt. p/ workout)
French curls (60° Bench) (each day)

Going alright so far, squats got me highly vented
laugh.gif
think I'll drop to 1 set, in fact I may drop all to 1 set only as I am trying to get done in 30 minutes flat but with warmup and partner not taking same load it is taking 45 minutes!
laugh.gif

Feeliing nice and tight, too early to comment on growth but I can see that it is going to give some results let us see then!

Faz

Yep quite right, except Sabbaths of course.

So, just two days of isos.

So far so good, except that I was not used to EZ pullovers, really kicked my butt! No wonder they call it the squat of the upper body
laugh.gif

I have posted this program about a week ago if you wish to view it.

i might try something like that next cycle..at the moment just doing the vanilla 3x..repping out on 15s and dropping isos in the 5s..let us know how you go on. :)

Day number four.

DOMS is rather high, near impossible to go down the stairs this morning
tounge.gif

Going is good the workouts fast, so I expect the gains to get where they derserve to be!

Iso's where nice and easy!

Today though there is an encouinter with Count Dracula the (romanian one) hope he does not drain all my blood
laugh.gif

Fausto,
I know it's a little off topic, but could you explain the way you're doing the romanian deads. If you do a search on the net, you'll see a thousands ways of doing it. And what the heck are you calling "Count Dracula"?
Thanks in advance. I'll keep reading your posts man!

Atlas

I believe the correct way to do it is: You squat down slightly after the weight goes past your knees while keeping the back ramrod straight.

Count Dracula - well it is a joke me and JVroig share about deadlifts
laugh.gif
we say the count himself invented this exercise, ha, ah, ah....and he was romanian too
laugh.gif
Romanian Deadlift

Hey Fausto, I do those too, except I call 'em stiff-legged deads. I guess that's a misnomer because I do bend slightly at the knees.

Anyway, they're so productive I wouldn't consider doing a cycle without 'em. They hit so much of your body at once: back, hamstrings, forearms...and oh yeah, they give the lady something to hang on to, too.  
laugh.gif
Seriously great for the glutes! Plus, I think they've even strengthened my abs.

Thanks for the reply Fausto. I was already doing them without even knowing it! And I agree 'bout the Dracula thing!

Back to the log. :D

Weekend was good for resting, most of the doms gone, very faint left overs.

The deadlift was kind to me, at this point at least (still just under 50 Kg), I am sure I shall complain loudly LOL
laugh.gif
once we get a lot heavier, usually my lower back is screaming by this time (does anyone have suggestions - am I doing something wrong that my back hurst from these?)

Feeling nice and tight, after the last week 1 of 15's, today we tackle 15's again, should get intersting!

Keep you all updated!

This is mainly from a perspective of intuition (not kinesiology or mechanics or anything)....but if they're hurting you, then don't do them.

Jester

Thanks for that...they not really hurting right now, it is more that I am antecipating the pain once I get to the 100 kg or so region!

Although there is a constant nagging dull pain in my lower back, it is not too bad after warmimg up, can't say what is the real reason for this but it is bearable, gets worse when I sit ona couch for a while, specially if there is a slight gap between my rear end and the couch, better once there is a hardish pillow there!
laugh.gif

Might just be that I am getting older, any other opinions, should I be including good mornings and some core exercises to strenghthen this area?

Mans Health had some good tips on core exercises on their last magazine!

Carrying on....

Yesterday went great guns! Compounds done in half an hour flat, reduce frequency to one set only for most exercises, some were done over twice, kinda like having seconds when you like something you eat
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I may have over guestimated the pullovers, darn heavy exercise, all the veins in my forehead seem to pop up
laugh.gif
after some thought I may keep same weight for the next two sessions (40 Kg) or it will catch up with me.

Squats ventilated me some...good for the breathing
laugh.gif

Nice tight feeling all around, funny for the first time I can see what the guys mean about compounds only hitting the smaller muscles, I feel as if I was doing curls, but have not touched them at all....feels good!

fausto i have the same back problem as you for deadlifts..so i dont do them i do hyperextentions instead..i lie across two benches while my freind sits on my ankles hold a db to my chest and raise my upperbody..i found this good for my core strengh maybe in a couple of cycles i will try deadlifts again..but my advice if your back is sore or nagging you STOP.good luck :D

Fausto,

Maybe I couldn't find it, but how many sets do you do for your iso's? I would think you were only doing 1 set as the compounds on MWF would be enough. Also, with the higher frequency - you have to be eating a bit more than in your usual cycles.

-Colby

Colby

Yep one set, but some of the exercises 2 it really depends on how I feel!

Yep I am eating quite a bit more, still need to get the ratios right though, still too much carbs, but the higher frequency is doing something to lean me up!

A bonus I'd say
laugh.gif

Darn, how did you guess!
laugh.gif

I guess we're all the same, guns and vanity go together, hey?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

They are responding might well, I am still 15" but it looks like I might end up with more, and then again I am only on 15's so I should not expect great gains just yet!

Will keep you all posted of course :D

Back