Training Twice a Week

rpopple

Hi,

I'm new to the HST training routine although I have trained for a number of years.

My schedule only allows me to train twice a week for approx 45 mins a time. Should I keep volume the same as the 3 day a week routine i.e. 1 to 2 sets per bodypart or increase to 3 but reduce the overall number of exercises to just the core ones i.e. squat, bench press, deadlift, rows?

Err there's two arguments to support either idea. Firstly is do the volume you're used to doing already, so if you're used to do 6 working sets per muscle group per week, and only working out 2 times p/w, then do 3 sets per workout.

The other side is that there is a minimum effective volume to induce hypertrophy, and after that its the law of diminishing returns. The first set you do stimulates the most growth, the 2nd set stimulates a bit, the 3rd set less and less etc. This is why frequency is better than volume per week. Also your body only grows for about 36 hours after a w/o, whether it grows a lot or a little (if more volume does make you grow more), at the end of the 36 hours your hormones will pretty much be back to normal. So you'll still grow on 2 workouts a week but you're missing out on 1 extra period of growth per week that you could be getting, so gains will be slower for you, not matter why volume you do. That doesn't really give you a concrete answer but I hope it gives you some insight into your dilemna.

just a thought.
do as much as you can in the 45min you have 2x a week. i would concentrate on the big compounds you mentioned.
on the day that would be w/o #3 if you had the time try to fit in exer. that can be done at home at anytime. examples are curls, chins, should. press, push ups, lunges, calf work, ab work, forearm/grip work, db press, maybe even dips. now im not saying do ALL of these exer. but with very little equip, room or even time you can add some of these in which would greatly help you strength increases as well as "better" optimize your growth ability.

if all you have avail. is 2x a week then just do that. no sense worrying about what you cant do. if you can find a little extra time (15-30mins?) at the begining or end of the day 1x week i think it would make a diff. and be a nice change of pace each week.

good luck

Back