TR's log

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thursday, June 36</div>

Where in the world?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">EZ-bar curl 2x20x27
EZ-bar skull crushers 2x10x37
Tricep Pushdowns 2x20x80
Ab machine 20x90
Pec-dec 2x10x70</div>

Cardiac kid!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For the most part I didn't feel the need to fool with M-time except for a very few exercises that lend themselves to it easily. The weights pick up in a hurry, so all this gingerbread stuff isn't gonna last. I recall from the last cycle that Dan's program can knock the stuffing out of me. </div>

So you are doing a cycle of Max-Stim now?

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 02 2008,8:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thursday, June 36</div>
Where in the world? </div>
Yeah, some days are better than others....
wow.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 02 2008,8:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
EZ-bar curl 2x20x27
Tricep Pushdowns 2x20x80
Ab machine 20x90
Pec-dec 2x10x70

Cardiac kid!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Extra energy. I call it my MS&amp;W workout

(Modified Simplify and Win -- I do the minimum S&amp;W exercises, then fill up the corners with mindless isos...)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For the most part I didn't feel the need to fool with M-time except for a very few exercises that lend themselves to it easily. The weights pick up in a hurry, so all this gingerbread stuff isn't gonna last. I recall from the last cycle that Dan's program can knock the stuffing out of me. </div>
<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 02 2008,8:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So you are doing a cycle of Max-Stim now?</div>
Yeah, I ran a cycle of Max-Stim through April and May until I got sick. I had excellent results!

Up till now I've mainly just been using Dan's M-time principle to control fatigue, but I've been following HST or Korte or Ed Coan. This time I've decided to give Dan's whole Max-Stim program a shot. I nearly finished Phase I last time, and am very pleased with my gains in strength and size.

Thursday, July 3

Squats 10x45, 10x65, 10x95, 5x135, 5x150, 15x150 (ms)
Bench Press 2x10x45, 10x55, 2x10x60
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x55 (ms)
Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 20x50 (ms)
Standing Calf Raise 20x155 (ms)
Power Shrugs 20x205 (ms)

Tricep Pushdowns 2x20x90
EZ-bar Preacher curls 2x20x32
Pec-dec 2x10x70
Ab machine 20x90

Saturday, July 5

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 5x185, 5x240 (ms), 20x205 (ms)
Chins 4x5x ?
Dips 4x5x ?

Tricep Pushdown 2x10x?
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 2x20x32
Pec-Dec 2x10x?
Ab Machine 20x?

Thursday a guy was doing deadlifts. He lifted 275 lbs then 305 lbs while I watched. Rather than get in his way, I just did my &quot;B&quot; workout with squats and saved my &quot;A&quot; game for Saturday (gym closed Friday in memory of George III).

I was in the mountains on Saturday at a very nice little gym. However, the machines were all calibrated differently from what I am used to so I had to use my best guess for the chin and dip assists, and for the Pec-dec and ab machine. I got a pretty good workout, but I have no idea what the exact weight progression was. Count it as a holiday -- at least I got my workout in...!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">gym closed Friday in memory of George III</div>

It didn't close because it was Independence Day?
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 07 2008,10:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">gym closed Friday in memory of George III</div>

It didn't close because it was Independence Day?
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
</div>
Okay, in memory of kicking out the King and his Redcoats...

One tries to be polite.

In Detroit, because they are right across the river from Canada, they don't really make a big to-do about the Fourth, and Independence Day. Rather they celebrate &quot;Peace Day&quot; (or some such blarney) on July 3 with a great fireworks display.

[At least, that's how it was done before I moved away from that awful city. &quot;You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy&quot; -- Obi Wan]

<div>
(Sniggel @ Jul. 07 2008,12:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One of the very hardcore things about m-time is you can do 20 reps of deadlifts in a heavy manner.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Yup, there is just no end of fun with M-time...

Monday, July 7

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 5x185, 5x245 (ms), 20x215 (ms)
Chins 20xBW-20 (ms)
Dips 20xBW-20 (ms)

Tricep Pushdown 20x90 (clustered)
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 20x37 (ms)
EZ-bar skull crushers 20x42 (ms)
Pec-Dec 20x85 (ms)
Ab Machine 20x110 (ms)

The Max-Stim workout schedule starts at 75% of your 10RM and works up by 5% each workout. I've been sort of complaining about the weeny weights I've been using, but all that stops today.

Today I hit the 90% mark, and for whatever reason, I just got my butt kicked. Rather than buzz through a set of 20 reps like I had been (sometimes even doing an extra set), today I had to use M-time in order to get through every exercise.

I dunno, maybe I didn't get enough sleep, or maybe I hadn't eaten any carbs, or maybe all the driving from the weekend caught up with me, but whatever the reason, I came home dragging today...
wow.gif

Tuesday, July 8

Squats 10x45, 5x65, 5x95, 5x135, 20x160 (ms)
Bench Press 10x45, 10x55, 4x5x65
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x60 (ms)
Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 20x55 (ms)
Standing Calf Raise 20x160 (ms)
Power Shrugs 20x215 (ms)

Tricep Pushdowns 20x90
EZ-bar Preacher curls 20x37 (ms)
EZ-bar skull crushers 10x42 (ms)
Pec-dec 20x85 (ms)
Ab machine 20x110 (ms)

I ran a little long today -- about an hour and ten minutes. I had been hoping to add some single-leg leg presses to help out my wussy legs, but there was no time.
sad.gif

Maybe next cycle...

Thursday, July 10

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 5x185, 5x240 (ms), 20x225 (ms)
Chins 20xBW-10 (ms)
Dips 20xBW-10 (ms)
Single-leg Leg Press 2x5x90

Tricep Pushdown 20x90
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 20x37 (ms)
EZ-bar skull crushers 20x42 (ms)
Pec-Dec 20x85 (ms)
Ab Machine 20x110 (ms)

I thought I'd try to add in a bit off leg press to help my weeny legs. Dag, that was heavy! I only put 90 lbs on the thing, but it took a lot of work to move that gadget. I wonder how much the sled weighs...?

I've been doing the same weights for pec-dec and ab machine for the past week. I screwed up and used too much weight on Monday, but rather than cut back, I just kept going with it. I figure the weight is heavy enough for me that RBE isn't going to set in any time soon.

I'm not quite sure what to do with my weeny isos. Both my EZ-bar curls and my EZ-bar skulls are already way past what the schedule calls for, yet I feel as though I could add a bit more to the bar. What to do...?
rock.gif

Friday, July 11

Squats 10x45, 5x95, 5x135, 20x165 (ms)
Bench Press 10x45, 10x55, 20x70 (ms)
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x60 (ms)
Seated (single-leg) Calf Raise 20x60 (ms)
Standing Calf Raise 20x175 (ms)
Power Shrugs 20x230 (ms)

Tricep Pushdowns 20x100
EZ-bar Preacher curls 20x42 (ms)
EZ-bar skull crushers 10x47 (ms)
Pec-dec 20x90 (ms)
Ab machine 20x120 (ms)

I felt pretty good so I added weight to nearly every exercise except my rows. I'm getting ahead of the Max-Stim schedule, so I'll likely slow down a bit next week. Monday/Tuesday calls for 100% and Thursday/Friday will be at 105% of my 10RM.

Monday, July 14 (Bastille Day)

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 5x185, 5x225 (ms), 20x240 (ms)
Chins 20xBW (ms)
Dips 20xBW (ms)
Single-leg Leg Press 5x75 (ms)

Deadlifts have gotten heavy enough that the gingerbread stuff (curls, skulls, pec-dec, etc.) can drop out for a while.

Chins and Dips were at bodyweight for the first time in a while (though the M-time on the Dips was a lot higher than for the Chins).

I still haven't figured out the Single-Leg Press. I hung 75 lbs on the machine, but still had a hard time doing even 5 leg presses after my deads. Nobody seems to know how much the sled weighs on the Leg Press, so the total weight is anybody's guess.

Your moving along rather nicely TR. What kind of m-time do you use for deads? 20 rep deads and squats make me hurt all over just thinking about it!!

<div>
(BAX67 @ Jul. 14 2008,10:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Your moving along rather nicely TR. What kind of m-time do you use for deads? 20 rep deads and squats make me hurt all over just thinking about it!!</div>
I use a sort of &quot;factorial&quot; M-time. I add roughly one second for each rep.

Thus at the 10th rep my M-time is 10 seconds; by the time I am approaching the 20th rep, my M-time is at or about 20 seconds.

I make it a point never to let my M-time go over 30 seconds.

I don't think I could ever do 20 rep deads or squats without using Dan's Miracle M-time. Max-Stim rocks! It gives me increased TUT with way more weight, while allowing me to manage fatigue.

Hey TR, besides the muscle fatigue that MS takes care of, do think there is any difference in the cumulative CNS fatigue when compared to regular workout routines? Or the advantage is only on intra-workout muscle fatigue and CNS fatigue buildup is the same?

<div>
(electric @ Jul. 15 2008,8:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey TR, besides the muscle fatigue that MS takes care of, do think there is any difference in the cumulative CNS fatigue when compared to regular workout routines? Or the advantage is only on intra-workout muscle fatigue and CNS fatigue buildup is the same?</div>
You'd have to direct that question to Dan. I have no experience doing 20 rep squats or deads without using M-time. I don't think I could manage such a thing.

I can report that I am usually not totally exhausted even after a heavy workout session, so long as I use a decent M-time. So perhaps even the CNS gets some help.

Tuesday, July 15

Squats 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 3x155, 20x175 (ms)
No Bench Press
Lying Dumbbell Row 20x65 (ms)

Tricep Pushdowns 20x100
EZ-bar Preacher curls 20x42 (ms)
EZ-bar skull crushers 10x47 (ms)
Pec-dec 20x90 (ms)
Ab machine 20x110 (ms)

I didn't do any bench press today. After my bodyweight dips yesterday I kept waking up during the night with piercing pain in my shoulder. So I took it easy today.

I didn't do any calf raises or shrugs either. Just ran out of steam and out of time.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 15 2008,6:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You'd have to direct that question to Dan. I have no experience doing 20 rep squats or deads without using M-time. I don't think I could manage such a thing.

I can report that I am usually not totally exhausted even after a heavy workout session, so long as I use a decent M-time. So perhaps even the CNS gets some help.</div>
Maybe it is too difficult to compare, but suppose you are using a weight near your 5RM and you are working out 3x / week. My question is that if there is a difference in cumulative CNS fatigue doing something like 3x5 on those sessions opposed to 20 MS reps. And I don't mean fatigue at the end of a workout but the kind that builds up from a workout to the next.
I asked the question to you because since you are putting it to practice, if you've had experienced this, but I realize it is pretty difficult to answer that. In any case thanks for the input.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 10 2008,7:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thursday, July 10
I'm not quite sure what to do with my weeny isos. Both my EZ-bar curls and my EZ-bar skulls are already way past what the schedule calls for, yet I feel as though I could add a bit more to the bar. What to do...?
rock.gif
</div>
I would increase them &quot;ever so slightly&quot; more again. It might be a miscalculation from your side that you are lifting heavier than planned at the moment. But I would increase the weight still and learn how much weight you need next cycle instead, unless you are a big believer of RBE then you should of course milk the exercise for as long as possible!
Lol (the expression, not the person) that didnt give an exact answer hehe
smile.gif

<div>
(electric @ Jul. 15 2008,5:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My question is that if there is a difference in cumulative CNS fatigue doing something like 3x5 on those sessions opposed to 20 MS reps. And I don't mean fatigue at the end of a workout but the kind that builds up from a workout to the next.</div>
One of the very nice things about Max-Stim is that I do not notice any such build up of CNS fatigue over the course of a program. Even doing Korte's 3x3 I didn't notice all that much total fatigue, rather just what came from any given workout.

Sniggel ~
&quot;I would increase them 'ever so slightly' more again. &quot;

Thank you. That is what I have chosen to do.

Thursday, July 17

Deadlifts 10x45, 10x95, 5x135, 5x185, 5x225 (ms), 20x255 (ms)
Chins 20xBW+10 (ms)
No Dips
Single-leg Leg Press 3x5 (using just the machine's sled)

Tricep Pushdown 20x110
EZ-curl bar Preacher Curls 20x42 (ms)
EZ-bar skull crushers 20x47 (ms)
Pec-Dec 20x100 (ms)
Ab Machine 20x120 (ms)

My shoulder has been bothering me again. So until it &quot;sorts itself out&quot; as Lol would say, I have elected to stop doing dips. Thus I had plenty of time to do the extra gingerbread isos for my arms.

I want to do some single-leg presses. They will allow me some extra leg work without putting any stress on my lower back. However, I still haven't figured out how the weights work on the leg press. So I just started, using only the sled, then I'll add weight incrementally each workout session.

Back