TunnelRat's Korte Program

Boy, that's a lot of work TunnelR. I'll bet you sleep well tonight. Friday should be fun!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Sep. 26 2007,22:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Boy, that's a lot of work TunnelR. I'll bet you sleep well tonight. Friday should be fun!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Yup, Friday is my &quot;heavy&quot; day. Once I get through that I'll have the weekend off, then start the next week with lighter weights.

Friday is Fun Day...!

Friday, September 28
Squat 165 x 40 MS
Bench 100 x 48 MS
Deads 205 x 40 MS

It wasn't too bad today, though my M-time began to creep up toward 30 seconds on my benches. I felt good enough afterwards to go play on the ab machine.

Later one of the YMCA honchos came over and explained to me that &quot;doing singles&quot; is not an effective way to develop muscle...

Awesome work TunnelRat!

I had some funny experiences doing max-stim in a commercial gym. I was doing Incline Bench and everytime I racked the bar a guy would start talking to me. I fixed the situation by wearing my Wife's MP3 Player (It doesn't have any music on it), but people seem to let you alone.
laugh.gif

Monday, October 1
Squat 160 x 40 MS
Bench 95 x 48 MS
Deads 200 x 40 MS

This is my last week of the High Volume Phase. I'm sore all over. My left quad and left gluteus medius in particular are as sore as can be.

All I've gotta do is survive two more workouts, then I can go on to the heavy lifting, light volume phase of the program. About now, that sounds like Valhalla and the Promised Land rolled into one...!

Wednesday, October 3
Squat 165 x 40 MS
Bench 100 x 48 MS
Deads 205 x 40 MS

One more workout to go and I finish this medieval torture session. I feel beat up, run over, and chewed on. I hope the strength gains are commensurate with the effort involved.

It is done. All done. I have managed to complete the high volume phase of the Korte 3x3 program. Oooooooooh rah!

I must confess that the last ten reps of the 210 lb. deadlift very nearly did me in. For whatever reason the gym was hot and I was sweating like the proverbial pig.

As a reward to myself, I didn't do any ab exercises.

Next week I start Phase II. Some of the weights will be heavier, but the volume, taken as a whole, will be significantly less.

My thanks to the Max-Stim method of fatigue control. Without it I could never have finished this part of the program.

Nice job Tunnel!  How low will the volume go now?  How does your body look/feel compared to the traditional routine?  You obviously did more work &quot;now.&quot;  Do you think all of the singles will affect your endurance?

Congrats on getting to the end of phase I, Tunnel. In all your excitement you haven't recorded what you did on Friday.

Really cool job, you must be in pretty good shape. Those who come accidentally across this would probably like to know more about this. Adding a link would be cool.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 07 2007,11:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Congrats on getting to the end of phase I, Tunnel. In all your excitement you haven't recorded what you did on Friday.</div>
I dunno if it was &quot;in all [my] excitement&quot;. Rather I was beat and just wanted to post and go to bed...
wow.gif

I had originally planned, back in September when I was laying out my exercises, to do:
170 lb squats,
105 lb bench, and
210 lb deads.

However, I ran a final check on my numbers and realized that I had my figures set just a shade too high for my squats and bench. Korte calls for 64% of the projected 1RM. My numbers were a little high, so I had to pare them back a bit.

My final lifts were thus:
Squat 165 x 40 MS
Bench 100 x 48 MS
Deads 210 x 40 MS

And I was a tired pumpkin afterwards.

<div>
(XFatMan @ Oct. 07 2007,14:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Really cool job, you must be in pretty good shape. Those who come accidentally across this would probably like to know more about this. Adding a link would be cool.</div>
Thanky kindly, sir. I haven't added much muscle -- this program has been for strength training rather than for hypertrophy. I actually got some very kind diet help from a fellow-poster so that I would be able to cut a few pounds this cycle. Even so I added a little over an inch to each of my thighs...

Here are the links once again, in case anyone is interested:

3 x 3- Part 1- Basic Information

3 x 3- Part 2- Squat: High Volume &amp; Competition

3 x 3- Part 3- Bench Press: High Volume &amp; Competition

3 x 3- Part 4-Deadlift: High Volume &amp; Competition

Of course, there's much more available at
DeepSquatter Archives

<div>
(soflsun @ Oct. 07 2007,01:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice job Tunnel! How low will the volume go now? How does your body look/feel compared to the traditional routine? You obviously did more work &quot;now.&quot; Do you think all of the singles will affect your endurance?</div>
&quot;How low will the volume go now?&quot;
The bottom pretty much drops out of the volume now. Instead of doing 40 squats per workout, I'll be doing 9 on the two &quot;off&quot; days and only two singles for my works sets on my heavy days. Deads are the same: instead of 40 reps per workout, I'll do a total of 9 reps (arranged as 3x3) on the two &quot;off&quot; days, and only two singles for my work sets on the heavy days.

Bench take just a bit more work -- 20 reps, arranged as 4x5 on the two &quot;off days&quot; (though I may likely just use Max-Stim for these reps too since it worked so well for all the high volume in Phase I). Yet even these 20 reps per workout constitute a big drop from 48 reps per workout.

Steve Jones reported that he was able to buzz through this portion of the program with only about 15 minutes in the gym.

I look about the same as I did before I started the program. I wasn't really expecting much hypertrophy from this sort of workout, especially combining with a cutting diet. But I did gain an inch or so on both thighs!

On the other hand I feel a bit like a truck has run me over. Korte has the program set up to begin with four weeks of serious overreaching. My problem was that I was not at all sure I would be able to complete such an intensive program, so I took two weeks to sort of &quot;ramp my self up&quot;. I began doing 5x5 and 6x6's at about 50% of my 1RM, slowly increasing both the weight and the repetitions until I was able to meet the program requirements.

As a result, instead of four difficult weeks, I've just finished six difficult weeks. I find that I am stiff and sore all over. I may not be a victor, but I am surely a survivor.

Again, Max-Stim doesn't really call for singles so much as for carefully timed pauses between reps. You do one rep; set the weight down; wait for the prescribed M-time, then do another rep. It is a remarkable method for controlling fatigue.

The next few weeks of Phase II will make clear what sort of strength gains (if any) I may have made.

As far as endurance goes, I experimented with that my last HST cycle. I used Max-Stim for most of that cycle (see my Interim Geezer Report in the Strength Training section). I found after my cycle that I had made noticeable improvement in endurance in that I was able to increase my previous 5RMs well beyond 5 reps. I am counting on the same sort of results from this program as well.

Monday, October 8

Today I began Phase II, the high intensity portion of Korte's program.

Squat 155 x 3 x 3 (no Max-Stim)
Bench 90 x 4 x 5 (no Max-Stim)
Deads 185 x 3, 205 x 1, 225 x 1, 245 x 1, 260 x 2 -- PB...!

I was done in about a 1/2 hour. I probably fooled around a bit figuring out the new weights (plus explaining the new program to curious gym rats...).

Afterwards I did 12 minutes of HIIT laps.

Tunnel, congrats on the PR. Hey, if your projected max for deads is 325lb and yet you are hitting a 2RM PR on your first session of Phase II, that would imply that you are intending to add around 60lb to your 1RM deadlift in this cycle. I guess it's doable if you are quite new to deadlifting but it will be an impressive result if you get it nonetheless.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 08 2007,21:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I guess it's doable...</div>
I am reminded of a complaint Steve Jones once made:
<div>
(stevejones @ Apr. 03 2007,02:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When I began doing HST I didn't understand the importance of percentages, and just subtracted 100 lbs or so off of my maxes as was suggested on the website. A 100lb subtraction on some lifts were about 87-88% of my max. This was too heavy to start the program. I eventually figured out I needed to work with percentages instead of &quot;just subtracting 100 lbs or so.&quot;</div>
According to the instructions for Korte's 3x3 strength program, I was advised to find my current deadlift 1RM and &quot;increase it by 15 lbs.&quot; The increase for the bench press was to be 10 lbs. and another 25 lbs. increase for squats.

The problem I have with these suggestions is that they do not take into account the size, strength, and conditioning level of the trainee. If your current bench press maximum is 400 lbs, you add 10 lbs. Yet if your current bench press maximum is only 125 lbs, you also add 10 lbs.

I've never lifted any of my current 1RMs. In fact I've never even come close to any of them. Rather, what I did was to rep out my previous 5RMs and then use one of the various available calculators to determine what my 1RM would be, could be, should be -- on a clear day with a good tail wind. So my deadlift 1RM was calculated from repping out 205 lbs. 15 times. My bench press max is from repping out 95 lbs. 15 times, and my squat max comes from 12 reps of 165. Whether any of these figures have any basis in reality remains to be seen.

Thus I confess, I have some doubts as to the practicability of reaching some of my proposed goals. On the other hand, that 260 lb. deadlift did seem to come up off the floor rather handily...
wink.gif

Wednesday, October 10

Squat 155 x 3 x 3 (no Max-Stim)
Bench 120 x 1 x 2 (no Max-Stim)
Deads 195 x 3 x 3

Whoa! Was that it...?

I was in and out of my program in less than half an hour! Heck, it took nearly as long to warm up as it did to do my work sets.

Afterwards I did some abs on the machine and some rows. Then I ran 13 minutes of Tabata laps. This sure beats the hell out of doing 40 squats and deads...

Monday, October 15

I missed my workout last Friday. I hadda drive down to southern Ohio to take care of my mom. It was probably just as well, as I was stiff and sore and tired. Coming in today, I felt much better and was well rested.

Squat 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 155 X 1, 175 X 1, 195 X 1 PB, 205 X 1 X 1 PB
Bench 90 X 4 X 5
Deads 195 X 3 X 3

I'm not used to waiting between sets. Frankly, I'm not used to doing &quot;sets&quot; at all. I've been using Max Stim for several months now and that has become my workout pattern. So I had to keep reminding myself to take a coupla minutes off to rest between sets.

My squat PB isn't all that impressive. I've just never gotten around to squatting with heavier weights. There has always been some reason that I've had to interrupt my cycles before I got to 200 lbs. 205 is right about one and a half times my body weight. Next week I'll shoot for 225.

Back