TunnelRat's Korte Program

My thighs ballooned out over an inch each after Korte's program. Great for lower body, but not so great for upper body imo, I won't do it again, there needs to be more than just bench pressing for upper body.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 15 2007,18:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My thighs ballooned out over an inch each after Korte's program. Great for lower body, but not so great for upper body imo, I won't do it again, there needs to be more than just bench pressing for upper body.</div>
Yup, my thighs have grown, too (though my chest has shown no improvement).

I won't do this program again, either. It is a killer workout, but I want more upper body development than this offers.

Now that the heavy volume phase is over, I've been adding in a coupla sets of rows after each workout.

Heavy deads are hard on your entire core/back/traps - at least, they are for me. If I do heavy deads and nothing else, I get sore pretty much all over the next day. I agree, though, that ancillary work other than bench for upper body would be a good thing for muscular development but not necessarily if you just want to get better at the three powerlifting lifts.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 15 2007,21:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but not necessarily if you just want to get better at the three powerlifting lifts.</div>
To be fair to Stephan Korte, that is exactly why I tried to follow his program -- I wanted to improve my deads, squats, and bench. So far, it seems to have worked very well toward meeting those goals.

Wednesday, October 17

Squat 155 x 3 x 3
Bench 95 X 3, 105 X 1, 115 X 1, 125 x 1 x 2
Deads 195 x 3 x 3

I was done so quickly that I threw in a set of 20 Max-Stim Lying Dumbbell Rows and a set of 20 Lying Rear Delt Dumbbell Rows (I do these lying on a bench; I figure my lower back gets plenty of work already with the squats and deads).

Then I did a coupla sets on the ab machine and ran 12 minutes of HIIT laps. Even so, I was out of there in less than an hour.

The 125 lb bench equals a previous PB. Friday I'll shoot for a double my body weight deadlift of 275 lbs.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 15 2007,18:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My thighs ballooned out over an inch each after Korte's program. Great for lower body, but not so great for upper body imo, I won't do it again, there needs to be more than just bench pressing for upper body.</div>
Those results are great. I wonder what growth you could have in your upper body if you changed the routine.

Friday, October 19

Squat 155 x 3 x 3
Bench 90 x 4 x 5
Deads 185 x 3, 205 x 1, 225 x 1, 265 PB x 1, 275 x 1 X 2 -- PB...!

Double my body weight personal best! Yeeee haw!

Of course, to be fair, I don't weigh all that much. I understand that many of you guys can bench (or curl...!) 275 lbs, but I'm pretty happy with it.

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 08 2007,21:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey, if your projected max for deads is 325lb and yet you are hitting a 2RM PR on your first session of Phase II, that would imply that you are intending to add around 60lb to your 1RM deadlift in this cycle. I guess it's doable if you are quite new to deadlifting but it will be an impressive result if you get it nonetheless.</div>
I must confess that when I did 275 lbs today, I began to have the realization that my deads are starting to get heavy. It took a lot more work to put up 275 than last week's 260. I'm scheduled for 295 next week, and I'll give it a shot, but my confidence begins to wane.

I surely hope Korte knows what he is doing. I am indeed quite new to deadlifting, so perhaps there's hope for me.

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Oct. 19 2007,15:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...275 lbs, but I'm pretty happy with it.</div>
you should be. deadlifting double your bodyweight is a benchmark. I only hope to reach it.

Monday, October 22

Squat 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 155 X 1, 175 X 1, 185 X 1, 205 X 1, 220 X 1 X 1 PB
Bench [no bench today...]
Deads 195 X 3 X 3

I didn't do any bench presses today. My shoulders have been sore all weekend long, and I thought I'd give them a rest before shooting for another personal best on Wednesday.

PB on my squats! Hooooo hah!

I was finished in a little over a half an hour (skipping my bench presses saved a lot of time...), so I did some rows, machine abs, and 13 minutes of Tabata laps.

Your legs are going to be be very sore!
wow.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Oct. 22 2007,16:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Your legs are going to be be very sore!
wow.gif
</div>
Wednesday, October 24

Actually, for whatever reason, what is sore is my right shoulder. I didn't do any bench presses on Monday because my shoulder hurt and I hoped to rest it. Heck, I've been having trouble just getting my coat on...!

Today, however, was Bench Press Max Day, and though I tried my best, I didn't do well. I was stiff and sore, so I tried several warm up sets with an empty bar. Then I began doing a few reps, loading 20 lbs or so at a time: 65, 85, 95, 115, etc.

When I got to 135 lbs -- today's goal -- I wasn't able to put it up. Rather than exhaust myself, I tried unloading the bar to the 125 lbs I had put up last week. I couldn't lift it. I couldn't even do 120 lbs. Eventually I had to settle for 115 lbs.

Squats 155 x 3 x 3
Bench 65 x 5 x 2, 85 x 3, 95 x 3, 115 x 3, 135 (missed), 125 (missed), 120 (missed), 115 x 1...
Deads 195 x 3 x 3

Thus I finally got my first failure. I don't think it had to do so much with a lack of strength as it did with the discomfort I am having in my shoulder. Later, I tried to do some rows and some rear delt raises. I had difficulty with both exercises, not being able to bring my upper arm up to parallel.

So, anyhow, I don't know what I've done, but I'm going to try to put some ice on that shoulder to see if it helps.

Regarding that 295 lb. deadlift you've got coming up , you've already pulled 275 - so it's only 10 more lbs each hand - you can do it , there is a definite mental factor in big lifts , you can just as easily self talk your way into a failed attempt as a good pull. You've been doing everything right , by now form is locked in , you've found your groove , you've been faithfully following a great program - the ONLY thing standing between you and that 295 pull is doubtfull self talk. You ARE going to do it - YOU ARE TUNNELRAT ...LET US HEAR YOU ROAR!!!
mad.gif

Uh , may have prematurely posted , read further down and heard of your shoulder ... fix that - THEN ROAR!!!
tounge.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Oct. 24 2007,16:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Regarding that 295 lb. deadlift you've got coming up , you've already pulled 275 - so it's only 10 more lbs each hand - you can do it , there is a definite mental factor in big lifts , you can just as easily self talk your way into a failed attempt as a good pull. You've been doing everything right , by now form is locked in , you've found your groove , you've been faithfully following a great program - the ONLY thing standing between you and that 295 pull is doubtfull self talk. You ARE going to do it - YOU ARE TUNNELRAT ...LET US HEAR YOU ROAR!!! </div>
Thank you, Russ. I definitely kept your words in mind as I did my deads today. I even went a bit further to remind myself that it's only 10 more lbs each leg!

Friday, October 26

Squat 155 x 3 x 3
Bench 85 x 4 x 2, 90 x 4 x 3 (my shoulder still hurts...)
Deads 185 x 3, 205 x 2, 225 x 2, 245 x 1, 265 x 1, 285 x 1 PB, 295 x 1 PB, 300 x 1 -- PB...!

Dag! I'm only now beginning to understand what you guys have been saying about deadlifts. To lift that 300 lbs took a lot of work. My legs were shaking, but the bar went up. And then I did -- I actually roared...!
Hulkdeadlifts.jpg

Awesome lift man ! Glad to hear you weren't held back by the shoulder , with the progress you've been making you deserve a good roar or two!
smile.gif

For me, once the deadlift gets over 300 pounds, the pressure becomes very intense. It almost doesn't matter if I am pulling 305 or 375, the pressure just feels &quot;MAX&quot; on the whole body...my trapezius, lower back, hamstrings and forearms just feel trashed afterward.

Great Lift!
cool.gif

That's awesome TunnelRat. All your blood, sweat and hard work has paid off. It's such a great feeling getting a new record in the deadlift, probably more so than any other lift. Hope you have a good way to celebrate: a big tub of icecream sounds good to me.
smile.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 26 2007,19:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's awesome TunnelRat. All your blood, sweat and hard work has paid off. It's such a great feeling getting a new record in the deadlift, probably more so than any other lift. Hope you have a good way to celebrate: a big tub of icecream sounds good to me.
smile.gif
</div>
Thanky kindly, sir! At your word I did indeed indulge in a large bowl of ice cream (fat-free, alas...). It really hit the spot -- no wonder you're an expert!
smile.gif

Monday, October 29

Squat 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 155 X 3, 175 X 1, 185 X 1, 205 X 1, 225 X 1 X 2 PB, 230 ... missed! 230 X 1 PB.
Bench 85 x 4 x 2, 90 x 4 x 3 (my shoulder still hurts...)
Deads 195 X 3 X 3

Once I got to 225 lbs with a pile of five and ten pound plates, I reloaded the bar with four 45 lb plates and did it again. It's just psychological, of course, but there's a sense of achievement in seeing the two big wheels on each end of the bar.

Then I tried adding a stinking 5 lbs to it and missed the lift!
blush.gif

I was in a power rack, so no harm done. I just set the bar down on the pins and climbed out. I unloaded the bar, repositioned it in the rack, loaded it up again and nailed it on the second try. Ooorah!

great to see your success tunnelrat, many congrats to you.

Back