uping my pushups

DairyGuy

I will be shipped of to boot camp in April 2010 and I need to increase my pushups. My goal is to be able to get 75 in 2 minutes; I want to rock my PFT (physical fitness test). Right now, I suck at pushups, I can only get about 30 in 2 minutes, but I have over 9 months to train. What is the best way to go about training for muscular endurance? I'm torn between going high volume, e.g. first workout max stim 100, next workout 50 sets of 2, next workout 33 sets of 3, etc. Or since it is a timed event, should I just try to pump out as many as I can in 2 minutes, maybe every other day?

<div>
(DairyGuy @ Jun. 17 2009,11:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I will be shipped of to boot camp in April 2010 and I need to increase my pushups.  My goal is to be able to get 75 in 2 minutes; I want to rock my PFT (physical fitness test).  Right now, I suck at pushups, I can only get about 30 in 2 minutes, but I have over 9 months to train.  What is the best way to go about training for muscular endurance?  I'm torn between going high volume, e.g. first workout max stim 100, next workout 50 sets of 2, next workout 33 sets of 3, etc.  Or since it is a timed event, should I just try to pump out as many as I can in 2 minutes, maybe every other day?</div>
Sounds to me like the rule of specificity for exercise applies here. Train in the same manner that your goal dictates. If your goal is 75 pushups in 2 minutes, then train by doing as many pushups as fast as you can. In the absense of other training, a few bouts a day seems within reason, but monitor according to how your body feels and progresses.

Good luck and thanks for serving.

Omega99, thank you for your quick reply. So, I should do something similar to Doggcrapp training (doing as many reps as I can, rest a bit, more reps, etc for 2 minutes)? Also, I'm currently lifting nightly 3x a week (maxstim, thank you Dan Moore), how should I incorporate a pushups routine? Every morning? On off days? After workouts? Sorry about all the questions, but I've been training for strength for so long that I have no clue about how to train for muscular endurance. Once again, thank you so much!

<div>
(DairyGuy @ Jun. 17 2009,11:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I will be shipped of to boot camp in April 2010 and I need to increase my pushups.  My goal is to be able to get 75 in 2 minutes; I want to rock my PFT (physical fitness test).  Right now, I suck at pushups, I can only get about 30 in 2 minutes, but I have over 9 months to train.  What is the best way to go about training for muscular endurance?  I'm torn between going high volume, e.g. first workout max stim 100, next workout 50 sets of 2, next workout 33 sets of 3, etc.  Or since it is a timed event, should I just try to pump out as many as I can in 2 minutes, maybe every other day?</div>

BASIC Training Course
Monday---Do 30, rest 2 minutes, do 20, rest, then 10
repeat cycle in the evening...then do situps the same way
pullups...do 20 (?),10,5 (do assisted pullups if you need to)

Wednesday-- Widegrip pushups...same kind of thing.
Do situps the same way
Pullups

Friday --Diamond pushups....same kind of thing
situps, pullups

Tuesday, Thursday---run your *** off--stick to runs of 5 miles or less, only run once on these days

Saturday ---do a 6 mile road march with a weighted back pack or equivalent in the morning, then a LIGHT 2 mile run in the evening

Sunday ----do nothing
Gradually increase the number of pushups as you get stronger. Always subtract 10 between sets.  Same thing with situps. Don't do one bit of weight training.  Focus on body weight exercises only. Eat a whole lot more than you feel like eating every day (unless you're a natural fat *** like me, in which case calculate your maintenance and eat that). Don't try to pack on any muscle. If it happens, that's great, but this is not your goal. You need to be lean, light, and strong.

You do this, and there should be no reason you won't be able to do 100 pushups in 2 minutes or less, 20 pull ups, and run 2 miles in less than 12 minutes. Just be patient and pace yourself with this program, or at least some program.

Steve gave great advice.

Again just train the movements you are going to use....nothing fance no need for benchpress or flys or etc....train for pushups by doing pushups.

Also thanks for serving our country....god bless you!

P.S.

Do a google search for muscle media pushup program ...i did it about 8 years ago for 2 weeks and added a inch to my chest!

SteveJones, you've answered my questions and then some. Thank you so much! I'll begin this program Monday morning.
Joe.Muscle, I will definitely check out that routine. Thank you
Well, unless you guys have a cure for shin splints (I have an appointment with a doc next week), I have no other questions. I'll REALLY be appreciating all your help 9 months from now.

P.S. I retested last night: In 2 minutes, I did 40 pushups and 50 situps. Hey, it's a start...

I found this for you by Pavel....( he is an awesome trainer really knows his stuff)

This should be GOLD for you....you can thank me later...LOL
biggrin.gif

Have fun See link and article below

Here are the links to the article, written by the Evil Russian himself. Each link is a differnet page and they are in order. (five total pages) When you open it up, it will be too small to read so I would suggest saving them all first, then printing them off (or magnifying and reading on your screen) printing them will result in a full size readable page.

All Military people out there, this routine is like gold for you and your Soldiers/Airmen/Marines/Sailors pushup performance. I had added thirty pushups to my max of 80 the first time I followed this program. I also found that doing just as many lying leg raises as pushups resulted in the same type of response from my abdominals (ie. lots more situps) Here you go! I hope you enjoy the read and the program.

Keith

Oh yeah, I think that this should be a sticky

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/71/pt18gl.jpg
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/9318/pt10011zt.jpg
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8990/pt10026yv.jpg
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8807/pt10034ex.jpg
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/2198/pt10042ub.jpg
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/2198/pt10042ub.jpg[/b]

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum....07.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit...im not sure if the links are working you may have to play with it.

but do a google search for pavel and his (drop and give me 100) if you cant get it to work.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jun. 18 2009,10:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do a google search for muscle media pushup program ...i did it about 8 years ago for 2 weeks and added a inch to my chest!</div>
I always thought there were more to push-ups than impressing the girls
cool.gif
  Of course, I guess in the end it's all the same.

yeah...the program was all about activating SLOW twitch fibers that hadn't been activated.

The program is a lot of fun and crazy rediculous.

You bascially cycle your total reps every day.

Going off memory it was something like this.

MAX out on day 1....so lets say your max was 100 pushups.

Then every day for 14 days they gave you to numbers one was percentages so if your percentage was say 60% on day 1 then you do 60 pushups.

The other rule was time...some days it was every hour others it was every 30 minutes...some days were once every 90 minutes.

So it seems easy right?
rock.gif
......wrong it was hard as hell...i remember the first day...I woke up at 8 o clock and did pushups until bedtime around 11 o clock every hour on the hours...it wasn't hard at all the first day....but I had never been that sore in my life the next day.

Anyway long story short...the program will not allow you to work anything besides your back and legs over 14 days ...its kick *** and I dare anyone here to try it!

Here's a useful pdf containing tips for Military Fitness. http://www.specialtactics.com/MILFIT4.pdf

I couldn't get Joe's links to work (except for the first one) but the pdf contains Pavel's Gimme 100 program as well as a pull-up program.

The Evil Russian’s “Hit The Deck” Program

WEEK 1 %of RM Frequency
Monday 100% eval 30% 60min
Tuesday 50% 60min
Wednesday 60% 45min
Thursday 25% 60min
Friday 45% 30min
Saturday 40% 60min
Sunday 20% 90min

WEEK 2
Monday 100% eval 35% 45min
Tuesday 55% 20min