Upper Lower Split

sach555

Can someone please advise if the following split would still be within the parameters of HST:

- Instead of full body workout 3 days a week, I am thinking of an upper/lower split every other day so I end up working out 6 days a week - Mon/Wed/Fri - Upper and Tues/Thur/Sat - Lower Body. This way I can add more exercises to the program for each of the days.

Would this be equally effective as full body 6 days a week?

Thanks very much

If you want to add more volume but don't want long draining workouts then yes, U-L split is good. You'll prob. find you're less likely to put on fat than with the same diet for 3x a week too.

But don't forget that HST is not about pounding your muscles with lots of different exercises and volume. You shouldn't really do anymore for 4 sets total for muscle group. And that's at the top end. Just about everyone here gets by with 1-2 sets per exercise, one exercises per part.

My first HST cycle was U-L split, 6x a week. I found that I was dang tired after doing the 4th set of back and chest (2sets x 2exercises) but that changed when I went to 6x fullbody, and spread the volume.

Yup, I think that is what he means Bob. The only thing better is AM/PM 6X.
thumbs-up.gif

OK....that blows everything away that I have learned about all my life with bodybuilding AND HST.  It is my understanding that you should give 48 hrs of rest to your muscles after a workout, not 24.  
How can you get away with doing workouts on the SAME muscle, back to back, every single day....even if you do "spread the volume"?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Key Of David @ June 18 2005,1:34)]It is my understanding that you should give 48 hrs of rest to your muscles after a workout, not 24.

How can you get away with doing workouts on the SAME muscle, back to back, every single day....even if you do "spread the volume"?
Not really, muscle cells will grow even under constant load, the CNS and some metabolites needs more recovery than the muscle cells themselves do.

It's all about how fast your CNS can "recharge" without putting a lasting drain on it (overtraining). Most people experience peripheral fatique (the inablilty to generate force because of metabolite imbalance) quit easily but Central fatique (the inabiltiy of the CNS to provide enough electrical stimulation) is harder to accomplish, unless you are constantly putting an excessive drain on your system without adequate recovery. Since some people have quicker recovery, they are not working to failure and they are spreading the sets out by increasing frequency, it is possible to work out 6X week, even whole body.

Through self experimentation I found that 4X week is about it for me.
sad.gif

Now is there an advantage to working 6X week? I personally do not think so, I haven't seen anything significant that shows there is any great advantage to it. But that's my opinion and opinions are like a$$holes, blah blah blah.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ June 17 2005,7:35)]Yup, I think that is what he means Bob. The only thing better is AM/PM 6X.  
thumbs-up.gif
i will try an am/pm/6x a week routine one day i promise. ;)

for now it's am/6 x a week

I do a 4x a week upper/lower split. Mon-Thurs I do Chest, Back, and Traps w/ a little (very tiny) bit of shoulders; 3 exercises per muscle group and currently 3 sets per exercise to failure except with shoulders (they get one small set of side lat raises or front lat raises). On Tues-Friday, I do legs and arms; same 3 exercises per muscle, 3 sets per exercise to failure.

Been doing this now for 16wks (super extended cycle) and love it. So far I havent noticed any signs of over training. Strength increases are still present each week and LBM is still increasing (although I have hit some platues on the way). I'm ending my cycle in just a few weeks here. If interested, I'll post my thoughts on it.

I say go for it ... sach.

Thanks for the info dkm. I guess I have more reading to do on the subject? Maybe I read it somewhere studying HST but I would have definately remembered it.

Back