Upright Row advice please

Brixtonian

Hi all,

I havent used upright rows for a long time - many years infact...

I cant really remember why I gave them up, but I certainly did long before I found HST.
I was doing superslow at the time, so maybe they're not ideal with SS?

Anyway...

having seen a lot of support and recommendation of them on this site, especially in the past year or so, I thought I'd get back in there and try them once again.
Alternated with shoulder presses.

I tried them on 15's and felt a clicking on my left wrist, just up from the bottom of the movement. Nothing painful, just a 'click'.

I'm using a shoulder width grip, as I find this easier than a closer grip. I also dont go past arms just above horizontal.
Does this sound right?

Would I find it easier with dumbbells?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Brix

some people have trouble with them,i also used to untill i widened my grip and only went as high as nipple height,at first i got a little twinge in my wrist,but that was because i went to wide,just adjust your grip untill you find whats the correct position for you.

Yeah Faz,

That's kind of what I was trying?

At least shoulder width apart, and not much higher than my nipples.

I dont get a twinge as such, its more of a clicking. Doesnt hurt, just feels weird? But I am worried that it could cause problems when the weight gets heavy - as I've only just done 2 weeks of 15's and one day of 10's.

Do you have good results from them?
I'm probably gonna take Quads advice and knock em on the head. Just go back to shoulder pressing?
(bearing in mind, I also do dips and chin ups every workout too - which all stress the shoulder muscle group)

Brix

i do incline bench so dont do alot of shoulder-pressing as that hits the front delts pretty good,so yes i like them for some rear delt work,and they seem to hit my traps as well.

If you do decide to do them, make sure you actively shrug as this will reduce the chance of tendon impingement between the acromion and the humerus. I prefer to use an EZ-curl bar for upright rows as it feels more comfortable on my wrists when the bar is raised.

The stats as I've investigated injuries seem to indicate that uprights are one of the most damaging to the shoulder joints, this unnatural movement putting your parts in restrictive motions they weren't designed for.
If one MUST insist on or believe in the advantages of them, one should not go above the nipples with any real weight.
I also don't do anything behind the head. Not only is it unnatural (unless you're a wrestler), it is unnecessary for growth of all the upper body musculature.

Next on the list is BB'er wide elbow benching to isolate pecs. That's what they made pec decks and crossover machines for. But I've found that heavy benching in the proper manner and incline work does just as well or even better.

Next, anything on a Smith machine.

I can work every muscle in your body with nothing but a barbell! Why in heck do people risk their joints with made-up exersizes that have been shown to do a lot of damage? I think it's lack of education. But do as you will; this old man has felt the agony of uncorrected thinking/lifting. And it always takes a damn long time to get healed for any joint or tendon problems.

I am with Quad on this, it is not a good exercise for your joints, if you absolutelly insist, then it is best with Dumbells to nipple height and no more, there are however better exercises for both shoulders and Traps.
biggrin.gif

Few people can do this without suffering joint problems some time or other, its not worth the trouble IMO.
biggrin.gif

I'm putting an exersize I like in the homemade exersize thread, but here it is:
DBrevlats.jpg

Hard to explain, but pictures are worth ...you know.

Cheers Quad and Fausto,

All noted here.
I value my joints... they're knackered enough these days, and I'm only 38!

Until they start to make spare shoulder joints that I can buy online - made to measure obviously - or in the shopping centres ('malls' to you guys) I guess I'll go back to blasting my shoulders with a hammer strength shoulder press.

Anyway, I found the uprights rubbing on my nipples too much... and not in a good way...!

Cheers to all for advice. Decision made.

Brix

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 03 2009,10:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">INext on the list is BB'er wide elbow benching to isolate pecs. That's what they made pec decks and crossover machines for. But I've found that heavy benching in the proper manner and incline work does just as well or even better.

Next, anything on a Smith machine.</div>
Quad,

I do wide elbow incline benches on the Smith machine...

does that count???

Seriously, I also do wide elbow dips for my chest too.
Is that an issue?

No wonder I havent got much of a chest..

Brix

No matter where I look on the net no1 can do these right for one reason or another, if done properly they are no worse than standing side laterals, so I am going to list all the points for proper upright row form here:

Chest out
Feet shoulder width apart and hips straight
bar should travel close to chest.
Grip the bar wide enough so that when your humerus(upper arms) is abducted(raised) 85-90degrees from the ground(parallel with the ground), it is also not internally rotated(side view of you should show elbow in line with torso), usually this grip is a little wider than shoulder width grip if your elbows are straight and the bar is hanging down below your waist.
Weight is raised by abduction not external rotation, meaning do not bring your wrists up above your elbows, keep wrists(not neccesarily grip) relaxed, and lift with your elbows not with your hands.
upper arms should travel no higher than 90 degrees and scapular should be allowed to articulate(dont force your shoulder girdle to stay down or exclude trap movement).
Hold at top of movement each rep to prevent cheating and maximize lateral delt involvement.
bar is typically lifted to around nipple level.
always use a mirror.

Last edited:
Back