upright rows-good for rear delts?

Try several exercises and use them which hit your delts most
thumbs-up.gif

What will have the greatest impact on your rear delts is heavy compound movements.....same as any other muscle group. Make sure to go as heavy as possible on seated rows, t-bar rows, pullups, etc.

Hey

I'll have to disagree here, I have been doing bent over lateral raises and military presses with good results.

I'll agree that high pulldowns and high rows will also enhance the area, couple that with shrugs and complete the job :D

Actually, I don't think that most upright exercises does very much for your rear delts. Compounds is still the way to go, maybe complimented with some isolation work, such as bentover rows + bentover lateral raises.

The upright stuff mostly hits your medial delts or your traps (shrugs, upright row) and lats (pullups or pulldowns etc).

In my humble opinion...

Regards,
/ R

A rowing exercise.

I think BB rows prob don't hit them as well as a closer grip exercise like T-Bar rows or just a seated row with close grip handles. Think of the stretch, when you pull your arm across your chest, that's then the're stretched right? Better mimicked by close grip than BB, IMO.

Raises work for some ppl, but you can't go particularly heavy on these and maintain form.

A lil while back ppl were talking about lying rows. Set up your incline chair at 45 degrees (or whatever, but steepish), lie with chest on the chair back, lower legs on the seat and grab your DBs or BB, and raise the weight using the rear delts.

You're effectively doing a bent over raise, but with the rowing motion.

Back