Upright rows

By the way, I really don't like the way the guy is performing the upright row in that link... I really don't like going that high.

Totentanz, you're right about high pulls, but you can use a tremendous amount of weight if you do clean pulls (no bend in arms). Aside from the deadlift of course, I think clean pulls and full cleans are the best trap exercises.

<div>
(stevejones @ Jan. 27 2007,15:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes, if you have a beaked acromion seems like upright rows would not be for you.  If your acromion isn't curved at all I don't foresee you having any problems. However, isn't the main muscle worked on these the traps ?  Seems like shrugs would give most guys more stimulation in that area than rows, due to the ability to use heavier weight.</div>
When I did upright rows my traps got huge!

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jan. 28 2007,19:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When I did upright rows my traps got huge!</div>
Where you using a close-grip? This targets the traps more.

I feel uprights in both my traps and side delts no matter what grip I use , but I definitely feel them MORE with a closer grip (traps that is).I use a wider grip as my goals in uprights is delts not traps (although I don't mind in the slightest that my traps are getting hit also..)
Wider gripped to nipples has never caused me any pain , close grip to chin/collar bone area feels weird to me in the wrist more than anywhere else and &quot;feels&quot; like an injury could happen(in my wrists oddly enuff and not so much in the shoulders)really boils down to personal build i geuss.

Sorry to burst in here, but if impingement is the problem, it could be a good idea to rectify it first. But of course if bony abnormality is the restriction, there is not a lot you can do about that.

Impingement is commonly caused by stronger (larger) internal rotators. Try external rotation exercises (which upright rows have a portion of, reason for me to include now my impingement has gone) with your arm by your side, and also with shoulder at 90 degrees.

Hope it helps
smile.gif

Back